StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 2015 Splits Challenge

• joiceiamara

April 28, 2015 at 8:45 am

Girls, I am new on Veena and I started my split challenge just yesterday.
    The thing is that today I woke up with this pain on my inner thighs, and it is like those pains that appears when we work out too hard.
    I warmed up before stretching, so I don’t believe that I had some injuries. And the pain doesn’t actually bothers me.
    I was wondering if it is normal and if I should continue doing this every day.
    I held the position of 60 seconds. If the pain is not normal, should I lessen the time or should I lessen the intensity of the movement?
    Thanks!!

• Runemist34

April 28, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Hi joiceiamara!
    When it comes to flexibility training, you are working your muscles, and you may be working them (and damaging them) in a very similar way to when you do strength training. The creation of micro-tears in your muscles is considered where the soreness comes from, so you must give your body time to heal properly! Just like any exercise where you’re exerting yourself, rest days are super important.
    As for the actual stretching part, the intention is to reach your muscles ONLY to the point of discomfort, not pain! You should NOT be in pain while stretching- it’s a fine line, but a really important one!
    You may find that as you begin your stretch for 60 seconds, the discomfort will fade, and you’ll be able to go a little bit further. You can keep doing this till you’re at “max stretch” for yourself at that time, and hold it for the rest of your 60 seconds.

But yes, the main things are to make sure to have rest days (usually two per week), and not to go to the point of pain- just discomfort.
    Good luck!

• joiceiamara

April 28, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I don’t feel actual pain while stretching, it is more like a “burning” feeling, not good but not that bad either.
    Well, there are actually a couple of days in my week that is insanely busy, so I am taking those days as a rest day!!
    Thank you for the tips, Runemist34!!! 🙂

• Anzia

April 28, 2015 at 3:38 pm

SAD seems to be over now and I’m back on the splits challenge. I’m following a version of the Splits in 6 Weeks programme but between now and the end of September rather than 6 weeks! Front splits starting point is 30 cm (12 inches) off the floor. Side splits is worse! Oh well, the only way is down…

• Veena

Administrator
    April 28, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Joiceiamara you might find the 30 days to flexy helpful! It guides you though 30 days of stretching and flexibly training. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view_category/30-day-flexy

• joiceiamara

April 28, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Venna!! I will try it!

• Saeth

May 2, 2015 at 8:10 am

I was going to do some stretching today and post the pictures but my hip flexor is a bit grumpy so I’ll leave it for today.

I do have some questions. On Veena’s stretch where you lie on your back and bring the thigh to your chest, my leg shakes a lot. It’s weird. There’s no pain, in fact there’s no discomfort really so I’m not over stretching. Why is this? Also she says to lead with your chest and not your head and I realised I do not understand this term at all! Does it mean to fold down with your chest, then stretch forward, rather than stretch forward then down?

On Wednesday my fluid intake was a bit low and it was obvious in my stretching! I was going to take pictures but I was so inflexible it looked like I have made zero progress but I know I have. I can nearly touch my legs with my nose in pike/single leg pike stretches now. It’s pretty exciting. I’ve noticed also that my flexibility has increased in poling too even when not as warm, especially in flip split and side spin sit. I can almost touch my toes on the floor behind me while doing a sexy pike too 😀 No pictures of that because I didn’t think to monitor it O_o There wasn’t really any progress between Dec and Feb as I done no flexibility training, and there was Christmas break with classes too.

It seems my limiting points are around my knees and right/deep under my butt cheeks. I think it’s either the very top of the hamstrings and/or the adductor magnus muscle. Calves seem to be another limiting factor. It’s certainly proving an interesting journey so far.

• Saeth

May 4, 2015 at 5:53 pm

I finally got some pictures. I was convinced I hadn’t made any progress which wouldn’t be unreasonable considering I did nothing for a good few months, however, there are definite changes in the before and after photos for front splits despite feeling a bit stiff and off the last few days. To stop me and others from scrolling up to whenever I posted my starting pics, I reposted my dec ones (pink trousers) and the ones I took today (navy). The angle is a bit different on the two sets but I’ve figured out where to place the cam for future shots. I have to say, I hate middle splits, it just feels so foreign and “unsafe” and the stretching feels unrewarding. I don’t see any progress in the picture for them but it’s hard to say because of the angle etc. I don’t really mind, I’m more focused on front splits right now.

• Neesy118

May 5, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I feel like my left side has gotten worse, right the same, and some improvement in my middle.

• Sarahmaryseiler3551

May 6, 2015 at 12:46 am

I’m joining you guys! Will post pics soon 🙂

• DLGBoricuaIVE

May 6, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I will joing this challenge and will post pictures soon!! I need motivation!!

• Saeth

May 6, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Welcome aboard, Boricula and Sarah!

Neesy, taking into account the different angles of your comparison photos, I don’t feel you left side has gotten worse at all. Regardless if you have, we all have our off days caused by all sorts of things. You’re doing so well, keep it up!

• DLGBoricuaIVE

May 7, 2015 at 9:49 pm

My left and right as of May 7. I will post the next set of pictures on June 7 to see the difference and hopefully I will see some progress.

• Gizy

May 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I think it’s getting better… but still feel like I’m not as good as I want to be :S

• Saeth

May 9, 2015 at 5:31 am

Gizy, I know it’s hard but don’t be hard on yourself. Our journey’s to a high degree of flexibility are highly personal and influenced by many things that are sometimes out of control. I try to focus on the fact that the stretching has physical and mental benefits for me rather than any progress I’ve made. I know that might seem a little odd considering the purpose behind splits training is to achieve the splits! But it’s stopped me from obsessing. You are making progress and that is the more important thing. You are taking the time and setting yourself to the challenge. This is what to focus on when you feel disheartened. You’re still more flexi than a lot of people out there too 😀

Page 15 of 17