StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 2015 Splits Challenge

• Runemist34

December 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Well, for flexibility training (which is what we’re talking about, technically), it should be done ONLY when you are super warm. So, after a good workout, or after a really hot shower! Some people prefer to stretch every day, and some only when they work out (I’m more in the latter camp).
    It’s not entirely about how often you stretch, but HOW you stretch that is the difference between injury and health. Making sure you know the difference between “feeling a bit of a stretch” and actual pain is key. Not pushing yourself immediately to full-on, hardcore, as far as you can possibly get is important. Usually, I’ll go until I feel the tension in my muscles, wait a bit, focus on relaxing, and once the tension passes, go a bit further (sometimes this means as little as a few centimeters, or even just tensing one muscle) till I feel tension, and continue in that way till the feeling doesn’t pass anymore.
    Stretching should NEVER be actually painful. That’s how you injure something.
    Also, remember to drink lots of water, and if you’re sore from stretching, maybe ease off a bit. We are technically doing damage that is similar to what we do when we do strength training.

Just be gentle with yourself, and remember you gotta be super warm, and not push it to the point of actual pain. πŸ˜‰

• Little Swift

December 13, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Count me in, please!

• epsilonte

December 13, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Saeth: Well… first the right one and then two weeks later the left one… xD One I hurt during a class and the other one while freestyling (i blame it on the split-drop I did). They will get better, they already are a bit better. And my phyisical therapist says it’s fine to stretch *a little bit* and use the foamroller, so that’s what I’m gonna do for the holidays. πŸ™‚

Runemist, yeah, I know, but thanks for reminding me. πŸ™‚ (uhm, that sounds bitter, but it’s meant in a positive way xD) I will be really careful, but I don’t want to stop stretching completely. And of course I’ll stop immediatly if it hurts. If my splits do come back 2015, I’ll be very happy, if they don’t… well, there’s always 2016… πŸ˜‰

• Lucca Valentine

December 13, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Alright here we go. I was surprised with how low I got in one of my front splits, middle splits are a mess as usual Γ°ΕΈβ„’Λ†

• Lucca Valentine

December 13, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Note enormously cushy pillow under knee cap…cuz safety first/still a little scared of dislocated knee caps

• Carrington

December 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Question..when training for this..how long do you hold or stretch when in actual split. Once i do my warm up and all the stretches and finally get to the front split im only there for a few seconds and Im like im done. Should i aim for a minute or longer on each side. What have ppl found to be the most effective length of time to actually hold the split or stretch the split after warm up and stretches?

• Runemist34

December 14, 2014 at 12:34 am

Oakmama, that’s a good question! What I’ve heard is that a stretch is most effective, at maximum stretchiness, when held between 30 second and one full minute. Lots of people disagree and agree about this- I’ve heard everything from an hour to 10 seconds. But, I’ve found that the 30-60 seconds range is best for me, it prevents me from getting bored and doing something stupid, and it gives me results!

• Lucca Valentine

December 14, 2014 at 2:06 am

In the study I read it was 45 seconds (the time ranges like Runemist said, just distinctly rememver being excited to see a study about stretching) and then it has diminishing value. So most of the benefit happened at 45 and if you continue you’ll still get benefit just not as much (for up to 90 seconds)

Have you checked out veenas stretch video? It’s very thorough and very good. Do you only hold your splits a second because it’s so uncomfortable? If so, you might need to back off a little on the pose so that you’re able to hold it for ~30 seconds. But if your trying to go all out, just hold it for as long as possible and listen to your body so you can hear when it says NOPE!

• Saeth

December 14, 2014 at 11:53 am

Oakmama: I used to receive physiotherapy for tightness in my leg muscles that caused grating kneecaps (ouch) and I had to hold the stretch for 30 seconds, switch sides, then repeat it at least 3 times on each side. If you are finding it very hard to hold a stretch I would ease off. I personally aim for a good stretch where my position is entirely stable and painless but still a challenge. If I can’t hold it for the required stretch time, I’ll back off. I personally find my muscles etc almost get “stuck” or sort of catch, resist or grate and this is a sign for me to ease up because straight after that comes pain! It’s a very small and subtle feeling but I’ve learnt to respect that. That’s my body giving little signs to guide my training πŸ™‚ I’ve personally found holding for 30 seconds, then switching, rinse and repeat a good few times to be absolutely fine. This goes along with Veena’s technique of the first stretch being light, the next one being deeper, then the last being stronger and those are held for 15 seconds or more, typically.

Btw Lucca, dislocated kneecaps O_o I’ll upgrade my knee padding now, that’s really scared me! Also if your middle splits are a mess, mine are just a straddle πŸ˜€

Speaking of my splits, I got some pics. I laughed when I saw how bad my middle ones are, my respect for anyone who can do these went up 100%! The front with left leg extended was surprisingly straight especially compared to the right one, weird. Maybe I didn’t push that one as hard, I don’t really remember. Anyway this is my starting point after doing both split stretch videos by Veena;

Front split right leg extended: 10 inches from the floor
    Front split left leg extended: 9 1/2 inches
    Middle splits: 20 inches (lol!)

Thank god I’m not aiming for the middle splits this coming year O_o!

• Carrington

December 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Im sooo loving this thread!!! Keep it up ladies!!! Thank you for the feedback..Im excited..we should even schedule a skype group stretching day..that would be fun..Maybe we should all aim to post progress pics at least once a month..

• tblue41945

December 15, 2014 at 8:05 am

I’m just seeing this thread. I signed up on the other Christmas tree splits challenge thread. This is my progress. Some days are better than others but I’m going to keep working. The struggle is real on the middle splits.

• Lucca Valentine

December 15, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Ohhhh measuring is such a good idea

• AllysonKendal

December 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Great thread!

You’ll see me here soon (I hope) I meant to warm up and take pics today but it just didn’t happen. I’m weary and loopy from… well, Monday.

I’ve definately been slacking in the stretching department and I lost progress for sure. Can’t wait to get back on track

• Dej 718

December 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

Hey everyone ..I would love to join in on this challenge …but can someone tell me where to start ? Please and thank you

• BonnieAndClyde

December 16, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I was all gung ho on this last march and stayed with it for about 4 months and completely fell off!I will try again come the new year! Thanks for the motivation to get back on that horse!

Page 2 of 17