StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 2015 Splits Challenge

• Juicy3

January 7, 2015 at 10:57 am

I’m in tooooo. I’ve already set myself this challenge. I’ve been stretching for a while but my hip flexors are so so tight. I’m really having trouble with the front splits, im the unflexiet person ever lol. My front splits are not too bad but still need a lot of work. My middle however are virtually standing up with my feet slightly apart 🙈. I would so live to achieve front and middle by the end Of the year. However middle I’m a little doubtful I’ll achieve. However….I’m reAlly glad this thread was started and I’m really happy to be part of it 😃. I’ll post regular photos of my progress too. This is my starting point for front splits. I’ll post middle next re-post.

• Juicy3

January 7, 2015 at 11:00 am

Sorry that was meant to say, I’m really having trouble with my middle splits haha 🙈

• I polekat I

January 7, 2015 at 11:01 am

i am exactly the same Allyson!! i am improving, but cold you would never be able to tell.. =/ i want to be able to bust out party trick splits anywhere too hehe!! i think you just have to keep on and on working at it and it is possible eventually, you see it a lot in martial arts etc. maybe when we can oversplit we can split cold??? i cant wait =D

• Tamarinda

January 7, 2015 at 11:14 am

Allyson I wondered that myself lol. I went to a yoga studio yesterday to talk about my lack of progress with front splits. She did two quick prep stretches, one for hammies, then one for hip flexors, then just quickly dropped into gorgeous squared front splits. I know it’s her job, took years, and she’s dedicated and passionate, but jeez, lol she wasn’t even warm I just randomly walked in and started talking to her and she did it. When I see people doing splits in photos at cool places I’m just like, ‘how long did it take em to warm up and did they look crazy doing their warm up.’ Lol I also wonder about some of the less intense forms of yoga and how people stay warm throughout all of it. I know ashtanga bikram and power keep someone warm. But something like, I beleive maybe yin yoga, correct me if I’m wrong. But they stay in poses for ages and I wonder how their body stretches ‘cold’ throughout the entire sequence. I can only stretch if I’m excessively hot cuz my central nervous system is relaxed into submission and I’m calmer and readier but I wonder if that affects my cold flexability.

• Gizy

January 7, 2015 at 11:23 am

Thanks for the response 🙂 It is nice to ask and share so you can get different views and learn in order to progress. I mentioned about dragon pose in an other discussion on SV. It really helps me when I practice about 10 minutes for each side before the split.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 7, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Ok, here’s what I’ve seen over my years of training and stretching myself….Keep in mind there are TONS of theories on stretching.

When I started watching gymnastics on TV as a kid and began training myself I have always been able to do an OK front split BUT not squared, I had to work on squared a lot! My families hips have natural “openness” that helped me in that way. Middle splits I had to work for and my BACK mobility was almost non existent!! I’ve worked hard on that.

Through my personal experience training my Back Middles and squared splits I’ve found that it took a year or more of CONSISTENT training to be able to do a GOOD (I’m not gonna regret this tomorrow) back bend cold.

I think a lot of people forget how long someone has worked consistently on something for both the body and mind to remember what you’re asking of it. If you have only begun to get serious about flexibility training you will probably not see an increase in cold stretch for quite some time. HOWEVER…..someone who’s naturally flexible in an area will progress faster and be more likely to do splits and such cold.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND YOU DO NOT NEED TO TRAIN EVERYDAY! STRETCHING DAILY IS OK…BUT FLEXIBILITY TRAINING SHOULD NOT BE DONE DAILY!!! DO NOT PUSH AND TRAIN TO GAIN FLEXIBILITY MORE THAT A FEW TIMES PER WEEK. TRAINING TOO OFTEN WHEN STARTING CAN SLOW PROGRESS!!!!!!!!! If you guys are looking for a good guideline try following the Stretching section here for more tips and help with stretching. xoxox

• Gizy

January 7, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Thank you so much Veena ! I will definitely listen to. I have been stretching everyday at least an hour and if I work on my pole,I stretch once more after… As I said I go totally maniac when I start and thinking that it’s ok because I’m not hurt in fact feeling and getting better! I think I had to hear it from a professional what I’m doing is not right. Thank you for your helpful message again 🙂 xxxxx

• Saeth

January 7, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I have a kidney infection so I’m having to drop off any form of working out right now. I feel horrendous! I’m becoming best friends with my hot water bottle, painkillers and my bed. My pole is silently crying! Oh well, I’ll get back on track in a week or two 🙂

• Gizy

January 7, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Hope you get better very soon and I’m sorry about your sickness but 2 weeks isn’t a long time I’m sure you’ll be in just where you left when you start again. All the best wishes xxx

• Adrestia

January 9, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Ok I’m in! I had been posting to the Christmas Splits Challenge but I never managed to get pics taken with the darn tree! haha. Anyway, I’ve been doing Cleo’s splits stretches two-three times per week but now I’m going to do Cleo twice per week and Veena’s splits stretching once. Hopefully three times a week is adequate? I find that I can get a little sore so a rest day in between feels pretty good….
    Here are pics I took TODAY…. I’m SOSOSOSOSO far away from my straddle splits… but I think I’m a contender for getting my front splits this year!! What do you think?

• AllysonKendal

January 9, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I’m so happy you girls were wondering the same thing as me! I was thinking maybe I was alone in experiencing a lack of change in my cold flexibility and maybe I was alone (and superficial) in wanting to bust out splits in fun places. 😛

I’ll continue to work on my warm stretching and maybe one dayyyy….. 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

January 9, 2015 at 10:53 pm

allysonkendal, I have noticed that my cold flexibility has increased as my active flexibility have increased. meaning that strengthening my opposing muscle to actively stretch the other muscle without gravity or a strap, etc. example. as I have been strengthening my quads I am better able to stretch my hamstring by just lifting my leg with my own muscles. I can lay on my back on the floor and pull my leg higher towards my head by using only my quad muscles. is it as high as I can pull my leg with my hand after I have warmed up? no. but strengthening the opposing muscle has given me a more noticeable flexibility base without having to be warm. But I ALWAYS stretch warm. strengthening my glutes has given helped to open up my hip flexors some too. I am re-thinking my approach to stretching. instead of thinking of stretching my muscles I also focus on contracting the opposing muscle as I am stretching. for me, I have found that flexibility requires alot of strengthening as well as stretching. before, I was approaching flexibility by just focusing on stretching and I ended up with a torn hamstring that set me back 6months. my muscle was not strong enough to stretch that far although my muscle just kept stretching. also, working on pefectly square splits while training has allowed for me to easily do an unsquared split when dancing and not having to do a ton of stretching before hand. just regular warm-up with mild stretches.

• Phoenix Hunter

January 9, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I am by no means flat in a square split by the way. that is something I just recently started working on since I recovered from my torn hamstring. but working on that has opened up my unsquare splits. hopefully i can get flat square splits this year

• Lucca Valentine

January 9, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Yep! What pheonix just described is the miracle known as reciprocal inhibition 🙂 and if you don’t want to exercise to warm up, taking a bath beforehand is a good cheat 😉

• I polekat I

January 10, 2015 at 8:15 pm

yessss definitely, and active stretching is good for helping prevent injury too – the bigger the difference between your passive flexibility (ie how much you can push into the stretch) and your active flexibility (how much your muscles can lift or pull into the stretch) the more chance of injury there is… =/ strong muscles can be stretched more! and don’t freak out about it as much as weak ones. and i do all my front splits stretching with squared hips, you get a better more even stretch through your hips – and its good to get into good habits right from the start =)

Page 6 of 17