StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 30 days to flexi – calling busty polers……

• 30 days to flexi – calling busty polers……

Posted by nikkistrand9707 on December 10, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I have been poling (somewhat inconsistently) for the last 4mnths and have no fitness / dance background and very little flexibility. I struggle to follow the 30 day start programme as my local studio only run sessions on a select few days a week and I have no pole at home. I started Veena’s 30 days to flexi programme which I’m enjoying but finding quite tough. I’m quite large chested (34J) and slightly overweight (currently 171lbs) and between my belly and my boobs and I’m finding it quite difficult to get into some of the stretches!!!! Anything that involves bringing the chest towards the legs such as pike stretch or the flow motion melt stretch – there’s just not enough room! Found the forward lunge flow motion stretch particularly hard as I kind of need to move my knee to side to get my chest down!
    Does anybody else have issues with this and have any tips or workarounds? I know obviously losing weight will help but feeling pretty hopeless right now!!!!

rebeccafemm replied 8 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 10, 2015 at 11:02 pm

This is a tough one and I know you’re not alone so hopefully others will have some ideas for you!

My thoughts are to keep at it! The program isn’t meant to be physically easy, but rather easy to follow and understand. Regardless of your size the stretches will not be easy because you’re new to training, it will take your body time to build muscle memory which makes things easier. If you need to use props like a yoga strap or blocks to help you feel more stable do it! For example try placing two blocks or anything low and sturdy on either side of you while don’t the forward lunge. For pike you can place a strap under the feet to increase the stretch without needing to bend farther forward. It’s ok to slowly shift a leg or your chest to allow you to move. One important thing you’ll need to do is to make sure you’re protecting the back. Keep the abdominals active don’t allow the back to carry all of the load. 🙂

• reenie aka Mysfit

December 11, 2015 at 1:00 am

Pike stretches/forward folds etc.. are meant to facilitate an lengthening through your hamstrings.. so, in short– many other ways to flexibility train without having your upper body get in the way. 😀
    A successful way I have found is to have clients do them standing- without a full forward fold. Once the back is rounded- you lose the effectiveness of the hamstring lengthen anyway– so why struggle with it if it’s uncomfy or awkward..
    A useful adaptation I use for example-
    Client standing- places heel of one foot up on chair, block, bench.. (whatever is comfortable and allows them to maintain balance)
    Leaning slightly forward, they posteriorly tilt(gently) their pelvis to activate the hamstrings. Stickin the booty out if you will… lol
    If you google standing hamstring stretch, you’ll find pics/vids which make great visual tools.
    I have a few ladies who struggle with the same obstacles you are… we adapt it to create success for them. Win win!

• rebeccafemm

December 12, 2015 at 1:46 am

I am about the same weight as you, having put it on when suffering from depression, but not quite as busty, and am having many of the same “issues”. I was up to a few months ago teaching and practicing Yoga and Pilates, so relatively flexible, but am now not able to do certain postures, or I find them uncomfortable or hard to breathe, or am unable to go deeply enough into the stretch because my flesh is getting in the way!

When it comes to training myself I have been using some of the same modifications I would have given to pregnant clients! I do forward bends with the legs wider apart so my “spare” does not interfere with getting a hamstring stretch, or I stretch sitting, one leg at a time with the other out to the side, or do it standing with one leg on a barre or back of the settee or whatever height I need, keeping my pelvis level as if it were a full bowl of water that I didn’t want to spill. Props (yoga belt, blocks…) always good to have on hand, too.

If stomach or boobs or butt flesh get in the way of a stretch, don’t be shy and just move it out of the way with your hands! Standard yoga practice, many yoga practitioners do it automatically be they large or small.

I think there’s almost always a way to stretch muscles that you want to stretch even if the muscular emphasis is slightly different from the “textbook” versions.

Hope this helps!