StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Alethea Austin DVDs. Progress after a few weeks/months?

• Alethea Austin DVDs. Progress after a few weeks/months?

Posted by HannahElizabeth on April 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I'm considering getting the Alethea Austin Pure Splits dvd but want to know how much they've helped people who have kept doing it for a few weeks or months?

How long have you been using the DVD for?

How much progress have you made?

Do you still see progress after a few weeks or is it mainly in the beginning when you first start doing the dvd's?

How often have you kept doing them? 

Thank youu x

Hazi411 replied 11 years, 4 months ago 17 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • HannahElizabeth

April 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I'm considering getting the Alethea Austin Pure Splits dvd but want to know how much they've helped people who have kept doing it for a few weeks or months?

How long have you been using the DVD for?

How much progress have you made?

Do you still see progress after a few weeks or is it mainly in the beginning when you first start doing the dvd's?

How often have you kept doing them? 

Thank youu x

• BeccaBuck

April 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm

i've being doing the pure splits dvd pretty regularly for about 9 weeks. i've seen tremendous progress! i started off so far off the ground, it was embarassing. 9 weeks in, and i can now get about a fist from the ground on my good side. hoping that in another month or two i'll be able to get all the way down. but that might be a little ambitious, lol.  i try to do it 4-5 times a week, but some weeks only get to it 2-3 times. i also have her Stretching For Pole dvd, and i love it for back and shoulder flexibility. i combine moves from that dvd with some of Veena's lessons on back mobility, and try to do that 3-5 times per week too.

• tarah

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 am

i have also been doing the "pure splits" and "stretching for pole" dvd's for 8-9 weeks.  except that i only do them once (or twice max) per week.  in the beginning i tried doing them more often, but found that two days in a row was not beneficial to me.  for example, my splits would be better on the first day than the second.  i found that if i leave at least a couple of days in between stretching, i progress much further and much faster.  maybe that's just me, or my muscles need more recovery time than others'.  anyway, i have had amazing progress.  i just got my right fronts on march 30!

• PaulettePoles

April 10, 2012 at 5:55 am

I have done them for a little longer but like Tarah, not as often. I actually saw more progress and also just got my left front splits- after taking bigger breaks inbetween. I also just started resistance stretching which has helped a lot. Dont know if it was the RS or the AA videos that did it, but Igot them finally and Im sooo happy!

• CatsEyes

April 10, 2012 at 7:05 am

I also started AA's pure split & stretching for pole few weeks ago. I try to do them once or twice a week and I've seen some results so far, especially in my facial which is waaaaay better now !

I already have my side splits on both sides but I can do them only if my body is really warm and I've done some stretching exercises for hamstrings and quads before, I haven't seen any progress on those….but I'm confident. I'm also doing Felix Cane's Flexibility dvd as well when I've enough time.

As you said Tarah, the first week I was so motivated I started doing them every day (it's written on the dvd that you have to practise 5 times per week to see improvements) and on the third day I wasn't able to do anything and my muscles were begging for mercy so I've decided to give them some rest in between stretching and it's better now. Plus, I think Veena said in one of the streching lesson that you should stretch no more than thrice a week when you are a beginner 🙂

• ahlemh20014818

April 11, 2012 at 2:20 am

do you think "massage' with the foam roller can help in between the session?I make it roll under my hamstrings, quads ,I feel better after that, but does it actually help improving flexiiliy or is that only 'well being" thing?

• Kobajo84

April 11, 2012 at 2:42 am

The foam roller "massage" increases blood flow to the muscles you're rolling thus enabling your body to nourish the stretched muscles.  The massaging relaxes these muscle areas by loosening the tightening areas relieving soreness.  As far as the research of whether this actually improves fexibility, I don't know.  I view it as taking care of my muscles- just as I'm working them tirelessly they deserve to be properly rested and nourished.  I also incorporate deep breathing techniques during stretches for increased blood flow and oxygenation to my muscles and after deep stretching I take epsom salt baths and maintain adequate hydration.  It's important you create a regimen that takes care of your body so as to evolve in your flexibility safely and injury free.  I also only deep stretch once a week.  Throughout the week if I'm poling or doing aerial, I will incorporate a lighter version of my once a week deep stretching but mainly I do the intense routine just weekly.  I also will frequently utilize a tennis ball to target areas my foam roller can not properly access.  I've only done the AA DVD's maybe once- I watched them both but I've never actually done the entire routines all the way through.  I much rather prefer writing my own routine and following something that is specific to my body's limitations and grow with it before incorporating stretches I know are beyond my limitations.  I do have goals I'd like to achieve in my flexibility, however through experience I've learned that flexibility takes a lot patience and time to achieve a desired outcome. 

• Crystaljng

April 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

I have bought the DVD back in December and been practicing once a week for about two months. In the second session I was able to get down to right front split. Still a bit to go on the left side. The stretch is very intense . I was so sore the next day and found it difficult to have flexibility training more than twice a week. The middle split part is not that relevant to me as I don’t want to dirty my wall. I do Veena ‘s lesson instead and it works well.

• MieleRu

April 11, 2012 at 8:57 am

Does she use resistance stretching in her DVD or some other methods?

• Dancing Paws

April 11, 2012 at 9:33 am

AA, does general stretching for most of the DVD, but uses a little resistance stretching for the front splits. She aso uses dynamic and ballistic stretching (it's probably best to avoid the ballistic ones; I tried them and they were very uncomfortable.)

• Veena

Administrator
    April 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

@ Vertical….I'm glad you've found my lessons helpful! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• ORGANIC ANGEL

April 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

@Vertical, what do you mean by "dirtying your wall"?

@ahlemh-Saw AA this weekend using the roller herself, so I am sure she feels they work for her.I love mine.

I got the DVD's. Did 2-3x so far but haven't been able to do anything since. Love it though. she has flloorwork vids coming soon too.

• ahlemh20014818

April 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I have both dvd's of Alethea, but I just cant do them, I feel so EXHAUSTED,feel like a whole workout, I am too tight!!!so the foam roller is a great reliever, let's see if it does any good to my flexbility, I bought one as soon as I saw Veena had one, strechting is just way to hard for me. 

• Rose2011

April 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I have both Alethea's DVD's.  I started with no flexibility.  I was so stiff when I started I could not even do the Pure Splits DVD.  I just did the Stretching for Pole for several months.  Then I started doing the Splits DVD and found Studio Veena.  I am not to the floor with my splits yet, but am making good progress.  I have worked up to doing AA Splits and the Back section of the Stretching for  Pole DVD 2-3 days a week and Studio Veena flexibility routines 2-3 days a week.  I alternate workouts during the weekdays.  I have made WONDERFUL progress doing this. I also make sure I am very warm and foam roll my muscles.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

April 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm

@Vertical, oh I get it- you can also do that part of the DVD against the couch-that's what I do:)

Page 1 of 2