StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Allegra move

• estine

September 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm

ah, sorry for giving poor advice. i did look at more pics of people doing it and they are way more tilted than i am. i have to re try this now.

• estine

September 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm

question is the jade also on your back??

• GingerKat

September 20, 2011 at 2:51 am

I just took a class from Alethea Austin and she teaches the jade with a back hold rather than the side if the stomach being a point of contact. It is a little hard to get used to curving your body around the pole so that your back is touching it, but when you pull down the top leg it locks you in place super well. Like…someone could sit on you and you wouldn’t move! Just be sure to pull down on the top leg and close the gap between your leg and your chest and you should be good to go! 🙂

• GingerKat

I just took a class from Alethea Austin and she teaches the jade with a back hold rather than the side if the stomach being a point of contact. It is a little hard to get used to curving your body around the pole so that your back is touching it, but when you pull down the top leg it locks you in place super well. Like…someone could sit on you and you wouldn’t move! Just be sure to pull down on the top leg and close the gap between your leg and your chest and you should be good to go! 🙂

• GingerKat

• Krista Bocko

September 20, 2011 at 6:47 am

ottersocks, i would love to see a video of this if you're able to.

• Krista Bocko

September 20, 2011 at 11:13 am

omg this is so painful. :/ i love the move though. keepin' on.

• Shellectra

September 21, 2011 at 6:41 am

I also find Allegra extremely painful, and Can't even release the top leg 🙁 

• TinyDancer04

September 21, 2011 at 7:28 am

video would be AMAZING ottersocks!

i simply cannot get this one, my body just doesnt seem to bend that way!

• Shellectra

September 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/207714_10150266142513206_532948205_9474161_1048446_n.jpg

This is my awful attempt at an Allegra, and as close as I got.  Most times I can't even get that far cos of the pain it causes on my ribs/mid back! And releasing the top leg seems impossible! 

• Veena

Administrator
    September 21, 2011 at 8:41 am

Oh, that's looking pretty good there Shellecta. For most it's really an issue of needing more flexibility. It's difficult and nearly impossible to get into the proper positioning for moves like the Jade, Allegra and Chopsticks without flexibility. Being able to open up the hips is really important for the Allegra, this will allow you to release the top leg while keeping the pole at the back. Working on Scorpio and practicing droping the hip to add spin like I do, will help with this move. 

• Deesse Jesse

September 21, 2011 at 10:39 am

Shellectra, your Allega still looks pretty damn good! 🙂

I had a bit of trouble releasing my top leg as well. What helped for me was keeping both hands on the pole (lower hand by the base of the pole like when you're doing a side V), stabilizing my hold, and then releasing the top leg.

• ottersocks

September 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

OK, just uploaded a vid of me doing Jenyne's apprentice to allegra transition. I look like holy hell after 4 hours of teaching, but there you have it! 🙂 Hope it helps.

• Tine007

September 22, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Thakn you, Otter!!! It looks great! On my list of things to try 🙂

I first got into it from Flatline Scorpio. I reach for the pole below with my free hand before I release the top leg. This way it feels more secure and less weight on the top leg. It also really  rolls me with my back to the pole, which in turns feels like my thigh is gripping better. If it feels good, you can release the arm 🙂

Page 2 of 2