StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone achieved splits success from scratch?

• Anyone achieved splits success from scratch?

Posted by HannahElizabeth on May 15, 2011 at 3:48 am

Like a lot of you, I too am after that wonderful thing we call the splits!

I know there’s a thread of current split success but it was started 2 years ago so I’m curious as to who has achieved their goal?

I an about 2 inches away on one side of my front splits but the final inches seem to be the hardest. I’m about 5/6 inches on the left side and about a foot from the ground on my side splits (a bit less after a 2 hr practice)

so who has achieved a good, full split, front or side( or both!) from scratch?

From scratch I mean you started stretching when you found pole as an adult, having no previous experience in something that massively helped in flexibility. I mean I did ballet for a few terms when I was 5, gymnastics for a couple of terms when I was 8 and modern dance when i was 10 but there were all just for fun and I can safely say I didn’t do them long enough or intensely enough to make any difference (wishing I had kept them up now but hey i didnt now I’d be pole dancing a few years down the line! Haha )

if you have gained complete split success do let us know! Perhaps show some before and after pics and share your stretching techqniues 🙂

PoleLiang replied 13 years, 4 months ago 20 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • HannahElizabeth

May 15, 2011 at 3:48 am

Like a lot of you, I too am after that wonderful thing we call the splits!

I know there’s a thread of current split success but it was started 2 years ago so I’m curious as to who has achieved their goal?

I an about 2 inches away on one side of my front splits but the final inches seem to be the hardest. I’m about 5/6 inches on the left side and about a foot from the ground on my side splits (a bit less after a 2 hr practice)

so who has achieved a good, full split, front or side( or both!) from scratch?

From scratch I mean you started stretching when you found pole as an adult, having no previous experience in something that massively helped in flexibility. I mean I did ballet for a few terms when I was 5, gymnastics for a couple of terms when I was 8 and modern dance when i was 10 but there were all just for fun and I can safely say I didn’t do them long enough or intensely enough to make any difference (wishing I had kept them up now but hey i didnt now I’d be pole dancing a few years down the line! Haha )

if you have gained complete split success do let us know! Perhaps show some before and after pics and share your stretching techqniues 🙂

• Miss Enzo

May 15, 2011 at 4:08 am

I’m at the start of my split journey!
    Now I could do split was
    Left leg leading 8-10 years ago when I did gymnastics but I tore ligaments in my knew when I was 18 and had to give up gym! I currently have no flexibility (can barely touch my toes) so I’ve decided to get my splits back! Today is day 1! I’ll let ya know in 6 weeks if I have them!!!

• Miraine

May 15, 2011 at 4:43 am

I've never been able to do splits, and have always had annoyingly tight hips.  Two years ago I couldn't touch my toes even, and decided to do something about that.  Then a year and a bit ago, having made it to the point where I could touch toes whilst cold, I decided I wanted to get splits.  My "dedication" to the cause has waxed and waned over time, and an injured knee stopped me doing anything for 4 months over this winter, but I've gone from literally two feet from side splits to 6" on a good day on my best side.

I really want to do this, but absolutely fail at willpower. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

Turning up to "European Bendy Buddies" has been great for that: nothing makes stretching easier than having someone else telling you to do it… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif   (thanks Gsylass!)

So, no splits for me yet, but considering the progress I've made even with my terrible work ethic, I still hope to get there some time!

Well, except centre splits.  I'm a million miles off of them…

• HazelHotpants

May 15, 2011 at 4:51 am

I have no background in dance or gymnastics. (i hated everything like it when I was in school) so i am not very flexible at all. But like most polers… i wanted to achieve the splits to help pole, (stupid jade)

anyway… ive been poling for over 1 and a half years now, and have seen a HUGE difference in my splits. I must admit… I don't stretch everyday. But when I have a really good pole practise which gets me really warm my right leg lead splits is ssssoooo close. I have recorded all my progress, and as soon as my bum actually hits the floor, i'm going to post it. I definitely think if I stretched everyday, it would make a difference but most of the time I am just too busy. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

Id like to see peoples before and after pictures, definitely helps you on your splits journey to know it can be done!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• solsticedark

May 15, 2011 at 5:40 am

When I first started working on spits I could hardly touch my toes. Though off and on streching over the years I have manged to go from no flexibility being able to do the splits two ways still working on the center splits, and can do oversplits when I have my left leg leading. You can get there it just takes more or less time depending on how much you work at it.

• Masked Loopy II

May 15, 2011 at 8:08 am

I did not achieve any splits in my life until after I starting poling.  Right now I can do my left and right and I'm still working on the center.  I must admit that I still need to be warmed up to achieve full splits.  I don't always have the flexiblity to do it  on the spot without stretching or dancing beforehand.  Something that helped me get the final inches was to repeat various leg stretches for about a half hour ( primarily forward lunging one leg, setting the lunge leg back down flat with the other leg bending under my butt, touching my head near the knee of the lunge leg, and then trying the splits position).  Everytime I cycled throught the various stretches, my splits came down a little more each time.  Eventually, it took shorter and shorter times to get into the splits.  It went down from 30 to 20 to 10 minutes and so on.  I hope I'm not too confusing.  I'm willing to explain more if anyone's interested.

• Mechie

May 15, 2011 at 8:15 am

The last time I did an effortless splits was when I was 2 yrs old…lol

I just started to work on my splits last week. I tried to stretch an hour every night: left, right, front…alternate every 5 min. (I use MaxiFlex and just stretching on the floor)

I can see improvement already!! Not a lot but a couple of inches. I hope in a couple of months I’ll be able to do at least one kind of splits.

@ Masked Loopy – When you said “lunged”, you mean you try to put your face/chin touching your knee?

• Masked Loopy II

May 15, 2011 at 8:25 am

@mechie–  I mean to lunge like this with the front foot stepping far forward:

http://valeriewaters.com/newsletters/images/forward-lunge_007.jpg

Then, you do the face to knee thing.

• Legend

May 15, 2011 at 8:58 am

I was and still am super unflexible… I was never able to even touch my toes with the legs straight until i start poling. I had a gym teacher in 8 grade that actually made fun of me and said she pitied me, because with my body type I would never be able to it… and I believed her!… fortunately that didnt stop me from trying. I'm following the "splits in 6 weeks" program for over 6 months now (sigh…)  I progressed well in the beginning but I've been stuck at about 15cm for a couple of months…  and altough I cant do the splits yet I can not only touch my feet but also grab them! so I believe its possible and Im not giving up anytime soon 🙂

• Stevesgirl

May 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I have never taken ballet, yoga or any sports in my entire life.  I have been stiff as a board and totally inflexible for as long as I can remember.  I am 45 years old and I just got my pole last Thursday.  I have been on this forum and watching Veena's lessons for a couple of weeks so I am VERY new to this.  I decided I was going to get into the splits even if it killed me (and sometimes I think it will!)  I am currently working on the "6 week splits".  I just started week 4 today.  Before I started, I was 5 or 6 inches from even touching the ground while bending at the waist.  Once I am a little warmed up, I can get my fingers flat on the floor.  I have no idea how far away I was from doing the front splits when I started because I only had a 12 inch ruler and I was WAYYYY further away than that!  Currently, I am probably 6 inches away with my left leg in front and maybe 8 inches away with my right leg in front.  I wish I could tell you, "Yeah, I can just plop right down into the spilts" but I can't – not yet anyway!  I am still so happy with my progress.  I am thinking I have gotten at least 14 – 16 inches further down than when I started and I think that isn't bad – especially in only 4 weeks.  As soon as I make it all the way, I will let you know!

• Cocoa0

May 16, 2011 at 12:45 am

I danced and figure skated when I was younger but I was never able to do the splits. Now I can do the splits on my bad side(I have an injury on my good side that keeps me from even trying ARGH!) So it is possible. My advice would be go to a few yoga classes, take the stretches that are the most painful and do them on a daily basis. Then when those ones get easy do a few more yoga classes and pick new stretches. It took me about a year to get the splits on my bad side, so it can be done. You just have to change up your stretches when you hit a wall.

• Miraine

May 16, 2011 at 3:22 am

@stevesgirl: wow, I really admire your dedcation and willpower!  That's amazing progress.

I've resolved anew to do something about my flexibility.  It's a month to my birthday, I'd like to get splits by then.

Also, very much assisted, touched a toe to the back of my head last night. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Unassisted by my birthday?   Hmm…

• Sair

May 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm

mmm the illusive splits 🙂

I've never been able to do them and am now on my second week out of the splits in 6 program 🙂 I think it can be done!!

I'm posting progress in my photo section. The stretches seem to be working well!

YOu can do it!

• Sair

May 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

mmm the illusive splits 🙂

I've never been able to do them and am now on my second week out of the splits in 6 program 🙂 I think it can be done!!

I'm posting progress in my photo section. The stretches seem to be working well!

YOu can do it!

• SashaMae

May 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I, too, have never been able to do the splits until I started poling. I have been active in yoga for quite some time but my freaking hip flexors hate me! The splits in 6 worked for me…granted I do need to be SUPER warmed up but I can do ’em! On a really good day after a full warm up and halfway through practice I can pretty much drop down to a left leg leading split. On a not so good day I’m still 1-2 1/2 inches away. Dedicate a time after practice for this program and you will see results 🙂

Page 1 of 2