StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Auditions…

• Auditions…

Posted by sugardiva on August 27, 2011 at 6:39 am

So for years, I've been a pole junkie and can't get enough from my studio! I send ladies to them, encouraging them to change their lives just as I have and they ask me "will you be teaching the class?" Occasionally I get "I would take the class if you taught it!" Well the studio has announced they are holding auditions for new instructors and I'm going to try out!

I know I shouldn't be, but I am nervous. Does anyone have any tips for me? Any videos you can suggest for me to inspire me? workout moves I can work into my routines?

I have to lead my instructors through 3 songs and teach them 2 spins.

I'd like to work them out using different moves they don't usually use in class, but since I only go to my studio, I don't really have anything else to refer to!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Laura KittyCat replied 13 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • tiggertail

August 27, 2011 at 7:32 am

Just one thing to say….relax and good luck!!! i'm sure eveyrthing will be fine. I can't really help with moves suggestion but i think that it don't care what moves you teach as long as it's safe and in a fun way. People who pay for class want to have a good timewhile learning.

• MrsNaughtywed

August 27, 2011 at 9:12 am

Good luck! Congrats on making the decision to try teaching pole! I assist teaching pole at my studio and even run my own pole fit class. It was all a learning experience for me. I used to be really nervous. 

Here's the thing.. you've been a pole junkie for years so you know your stuff! This should be natural for you. I would suggest one thing people look for in a pole instructor is to keep a really happy positive attitude when teaching. Get excited for the student over small successes. Practice saying what you would if you were teaching some transitions, spins, tricks, etc. I found Veena's videos to really help me learn to be an instructor. Even looking on youtube for other video tutorials helps you teach the stuff first.

Make sure you stress safety! At the beginning of the class you should make sure you explain proper wrist holds and keeping shoulders down so no one pulls any muscle or hurts themselves. 

You will be great! Good luck. 🙂

• Laura KittyCat

August 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I would like to add: learn the “students” names and when teaching them a move try to find a good thing they did “great extension of the leg” an something for them to work on, ” try moving the bottom hand lower”. This has helped me be a better gymnastics teacher and students respond well to it.

• sugardiva

August 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Great suggestions! Thanks so much for the support!

We're all very supportive of each other… We were working out yesterday and while learning a new move, one of the new instructors was struggling to learn it and actually asked me to come  help her. She was really grateful and I was more than happy to assist.

I think where I'll be most nervous is calling the workout, and trying to transition from move to move smoothly.  I've never done that before, so I'm a little nervous that I can do that effectively.

If there are any youtube vids out there that might be helpful, I'd love to see them! I've worked out with Jessalyn before and her warm ups were AWESOME, but its been so long I can't remember all her stuff and can't find any online…

• Laura KittyCat

August 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

My instructor will say “walk right (or left) then say a spin like “chair spin to half pole turn” or “fireman to climb then show me your favorite move” or ” back spin to the floor and sexy up”. She does these for 10 min before teaching new moves. Last week she could tell we were losing steam after learning a few moves so she showed us a new floor transition before moving on with the other moves. Good luck! Im sure you will do great!