StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Back into training about a 6 month break and feeling disheartened

• Back into training about a 6 month break and feeling disheartened

Posted by MeganJoan on June 19, 2014 at 5:18 am

Hi all, I’m not sure why I’m posting this. I guess just wanting to hear from anyone who’s been I’m a similar situation to reassure me it’ll get better?

I took a bit of a hiatus from pole (and most exercise) for about 6 months just due to being busy and kind of lazy. I’m back into it now, though! I’ve been training again for 6 weeks now and I honestly feel really crap and upset at myself. My strength has gone down the drain. I feel going to do things that used to be easy and my body fails me. Inverting from off the ground? I can do that! Actually no… I can bearly hold myself up let alone get upside down.

Training feels like a series of bad days and it’s really getting to me. I LOVE pole and having this total disconnect between what my body can do and what I feel I should be able to do is sucking the fun out of it.

Advice? Tips? Reassurance?

MeganJoan replied 10 years, 4 months ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • MeganJoan

June 19, 2014 at 5:18 am

Don’t mind the autocorrect typo in the title. Oops!

• Cherished

June 19, 2014 at 5:49 am

Keep going! I know exactly how you feel. Usually when I get a move I’m working at it motivates me to put even more effort into poling and when I keep failing it’s a deterrant. You have to remember if you were there before you will be there again and that the second time around doesn’t take as long as the first. So start back from the beginning and rebuild the muscles in the right order and you’ll be back to where you left off before you know it. Also I know I always say this every chance I get but it really really helps me to find new music to practise to. It energizes me and motivate me to get onto the pole during an off day.

• MeganJoan

June 19, 2014 at 7:40 am

Thanks 🙂

Good idea about the music! I’ll have to start a new play list of all happy, encouraging music. I think it’ll help when my partner and I finally get my new place sorted and get my pole up again so I can work on stuff at home rather than just in the studio. I think solo practice is super important for progress.

• Skullpixie

June 19, 2014 at 7:58 am

It was the same for me when I hurt my back I was off pole for six months. I re joined classes and felt disheartened as people were flying ahead. I’m in the same situation now with a hamstring tear. I eased my self back in by not putting any pressure on myself to get new moves I just worked on building strength back up again a little each day. But it may be a good idea to train everyday for an hour or 2 but nothing too harsh it will gradually get better and may prevent injury in the future 🙂 hope this helps.

• Slkysmth

June 21, 2014 at 12:46 am

This is really good for me to read. I had surgery 5 weeks ago. I have been released to do cardio but no core! No squats, lunges, push ups, so on and so on. I was reasonably strong to achieve arial inverts, spins, shoulder mounts etc. Now! I’m scared to face reality on the set back from this! I still have a whole mother month to go’! It is going to be humbling to say the least.

• MeganJoan

June 22, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I will be having surgery in a few months too! It will be in my foot so hopefully I’ll be able to do some upper body and core training after a couple of weeks but I won’t be able to properly get back into training for a while.
    My plan is lost of floor work, and stretching! If you can’t do any core work yet then stretch your little heart out! Just think about it, you can do hour+ stretching sessions every day (or whenever you would normally practice). Work on splits and back bends and think about how super bendy you’re going to be afterwards!
    An Australian pole dancer Shimmy fractured her rib last January and wasn’t back on the pole until June. She worked on flex that entire time and the results really showed. I figure as long as we stay motivated and do what we can then it’ll all be fine 😀

• watergirl

June 24, 2014 at 7:07 am

I recently posted on a thread about walking. I had a back injury and a slow decline to where I could not walk. Had surgery and it was/is a long and slow process to get back to where I was. I may never be able to do pole again. But getting back into an exercise routine is all about patience, taking baby steps and mixing it up. Walking, biking, yoga, stretching- all things like this are good. Get some hand weights or fill water bottles with sand and do things on your own – 10 minutes- 20 minutes here and there all add up. I speak from experience- in my mind I want to be in the same shape I was in when I had my injury – but I have to keep reminding myself it is all baby steps and the body takes time to heal as well as it takes time to get strong and rebuild even if there was no injury and you just took a break. I want to erase all the dark days and down time and be where I was. I will get there and am doing great. For those that are going to have surgery- keep your diet clean, try to be in good physical shape prior to surgery and post surgery – be patient. You will get through it. We all have a different healing process. Also, don’t be a stranger to your studio. It really helped my mental spirits to just drop in to see some of my studio friends and hang out and appreciate what they are learning.

• teresawitch

June 25, 2014 at 11:38 am

I know how you feel. I too had a break from pole and when I went back I could hardly do anything. but now just 6-8 weeks in I am getting back on form. still some moves that evade me like the arial shoulder mount, but that is getting nearer. it will come back. I ju
    st had to stop saying to myself, “I used to be able to do that” all the time which made me angry and frustrated. have patience and enjoy being back on the pole. it will be worth it. xx

• RoxyPink

June 25, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’ve been on a 2-3 year hiatus so I know what you mean. Practice practice practice! It will come back.

• Wiley

June 25, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I’m in the same boat! I had a breast augmentation, under the muscle so I’m very limited on what I can do on the pole. I had to quit my pole studio because it was too much $$ and I couldn’t benefit from the classes. Right now, I’m trying to focus more on floorwork and dance due to my limitations. I don’t have any great advice for you, but wanted you to know that you’re totally not alone 🙂

• MeganJoan

June 25, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for all the awesome replies 🙂
    It really does help knowing I’m not alone in this and I hope the encouraging words help all of us, including anyone that reads this in the future 🙂

• SanAntonioPoler

June 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I took alittle over a year off from poling and recently jumped back into it so believe me I can relate to how discouraging and disheartening it can feel when you go from being able to do advanced tricks to struggling on a basic invert :/ Just remember if you trained your body to do it before, it can do it again! 🙂 -Plus this time I know how it feels and won’t let myself get lazy again 😉

• MeganJoan

June 27, 2014 at 6:11 pm

An excellent point! After every class I curse myself for taking such a long break and swear I’ll never do it again. I also stretch way more consistently now and I think I’m already more flexi than I was before.