StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Becoming a pole instructor

• GatorGirl4Life

January 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

That’s true but I don’t think some people realize the amount and cost of training and certifications others have had. Just off the top of my head, my training has been closer to the range of 7,000 when you add it up. That doesn’t even count the time I’ve put into it which in business you have to consider the value of your time as much as what you spend.

This isn’t just about making my money back…heck if I’m a successful business person I will more then break even…It’s about how could someone expect to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get what I’ve worked so hard to obtain on top of my monetary investment.

Finally consider this – a student spends close to a couple of hundred dollars for for just one 6-week/6 hour program…sometimes less…many times more. But people expect to only spend a couple of hundred dollars for certification?

Now…I don’t charge thousands. Mine are roughly $800 for basic and $600 for intermediate but I know of other really good programs that cost a couple of thousand dollars that are very good and definitely worth it. Of course I know of some for much less that aren’t worth the time, let alone the money.

This is all very valid. I think it’s hard to really put a value on the amount of time and money one has spent learning the trade and knowledge to present to others to make a successful business. Unless you make the students sign a non-compete clause (which may or may not hold up in court), you are running the risk that they will immediately turn around and open a pole studio down the street from yours, and be instant competition. Not that there’s not enough business to go around for all, but to teach someone how to run a SUCCESSFUL pole studio based on your personal experience to me, is priceless.

• hipshaker

February 19, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Hi fellow UK’er Halfjack https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

I asked my pole instructor at the London gym I go to what’s needed to become a pole instructor… She said any instructor at this particular gym and probably most of them needs to have an Exercise To Music (studio instructor) certificate. Pole certificates are optional, but for a gym to hire you, you basically need the ETM class. So this would be your first step.

YMCA do this for around £500, which is apparently the best option.
    There are other ways of getting the ETM certificate but they cost around £700 and are apparently based on the YMCA one anyway. It might seem odd, as ETM isn’t related to pole per se, but it shows that you can lead a class (to music) and some muscle / body theory.

As a side note, my teacher’s got plenty of pole certificates but she didn’t rate them highly at all. If you come across any ones with good reputation, let me know!

• Gsylass

February 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Hi hipshaker, I’m looking at this one http://www.fitnessindustryeducation.com/AerobicsInstructorCourse/tabid/2919/Default.aspx which is just shy of £400 including VAT. It says it gives enough REPS points and it’s a distance learning course which is perfect for me. Then I’d do a teaching masterclass. That’s my long-term plan anyhow!

• RoxyPink

February 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm

the one thing that has been assumed in this thread is that ALL the high cost (USPDF..etc) training programs include "business start up" info…I’ve been doing some research here and there because I do think it’s import to have certs under the belt…but why would I spend $3000 and not get the business inside info? does that make sense. I have no problem paying for a good training program and for the time spent in developing the training program if I’m going to get the business side too. But I haven’t found too many $$$ trainings that include good business info. The flip side if I’m not looking for the business side I shouldn’t have to pay $3000 either. You can get a reputable PS cert for $400. I don’t know of an organized sport that costs that much for training either…in figure skating your certification was your experience….same for gymnastics etc.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe the USPDF includes business info in their $3500 training…and it’s only good for two years?!?!?!

So yes I will pay for you too teach me how to start my business and to help me be a better teacher and yes I would probably be willing to pay $3500…ouch! lol But if an only if it includes this information because as Empyrean said it will save me $$ in the long run.

Sorry if none of this makes sense…I’ve been battling a horendous headache for three days and i can’t quite think straight…lol

• Charley

February 19, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Roxy, ETED’s certs DO teach you the business end of pole too…and Mary Ellyn is always a PM away for help too. I haven’t even taken her certs yet and she has helped me immensly with a lot of things.

I didn’t realize there might be a lot of people out there that want to start up their own business that may not know the business end of things – especially the marketing. That gets me thinking.

• SandyBrown

February 19, 2010 at 8:39 pm

the one thing that has been assumed in this thread is that ALL the high cost (USPDF..etc) training programs include "business start up" info…I’ve been doing some research here and there because I do think it’s import to have certs under the belt…but why would I spend $3000 and not get the business inside info? does that make sense. I have no problem paying for a good training program and for the time spent in developing the training program if I’m going to get the business side too. But I haven’t found too many $$$ trainings that include good business info. The flip side if I’m not looking for the business side I shouldn’t have to pay $3000 either. You can get a reputable PS cert for $400. I don’t know of an organized sport that costs that much for training either…in figure skating your certification was your experience….same for gymnastics etc.

Roxy-Pink, that’s a good question about the business side of things being included in certification. I’m not interested in having my own studio or teaching others on my own, but I am taking the Climb & Spin (USPDF) intensive training and certification next month. I’ll be sure to ask Kira and Wendy about that as I feel that would be great advice to have for that are interested in owning a studio.

As far as the money goes, I too was like WTF at some of these prices. But reading the explanations of Empyrean and others, it makes sense in the long run for these certification programs to cost as much as they do.

• anngiern

February 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm

roxy pink…

i would call/email them to ask it if its included. i know on the oc pole fitness certification its kind of towards the bottom and says "business builder consulting module". so sometimes it is not as noticeable. and sometimes its something they will do on the side so to speak and they dont advertise it.

i guess one big thing i like to give advice on to aspiring instructors is to decide if you want to run your own studio or just be a teacher for someone else as sandybrown said. some of these programs are geared towards people who want to open up their own business.

i HIGHLY agree with charley in regards to marketing,customer service and other business things that are helpful. there is an organization called SCORE and they help people with getting businesses started. there website is http://www.score.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if that is the route you are planning to take. i believe many of their workshops/seminars are low costs.

you can have all the certifications in the world but if you dont have a marketing/business plan it could possibly go no where. also if you dont have any kind of methodology on how you do your classes it will cause customers to get frustrated. you really have to sit down and write all these things down which is where the business plan really helps. ( i think they have a free one that you can download) i have it saved on my computer and you can pm me and i can send it to you via email if you would like a copy.

and also a particular dance style….i have seen both ends of the spectrum…you can have many great certifications but if people don’t like/or not attracted to your dance style (or acrobatic style if you are leaning towards the more fitness type of pole)then it can be hard.

but at the same token i have seen beautiful dancers but they cant teach worth a lick. and that really sucks when the teacher cant break anything down. so its best to have the combination of both.

pole dance is unique in that it is a combination of fitness and dance. but when it comes to the dance part your style will sell it along with your teaching style.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE AMERICAS BEST DANCE CREW…those guys and gals are amazing!!!!! i would take a class with some of them simply b/c of their style and energy! i could care less about what certifications they have b/c their dance skills sell it for me and they are FREAKING AMAZING. but if i went to a class and didnt feel like they were good teachers i probably would not take lessons again.

• Mary Ellyn

February 20, 2010 at 12:38 am

First, I’d like to say that for what is offered in C&S I would take it in a heartbeat (even though I offer my own course) because I see it as a great addition to my education as an instructor. THere is a LOT of information on pole dancing and many moves and styles included in it. I dont know how else to say it but they seem to have a lot of creativity to some of the moves they teach and I’m always hungry for more! Having taken a workshop with Wendy recently I know she is very thorough on safety and biomechanics.

Charley…thanks for filling in about my program….Yes mine includes business start up as part of the program. My husband who is an accountant (specializing in small business), financial consultant, tax preparer, and certified in insurance gives a portion of the class. Even better…he is available for free consultations for as long as your certification remains current! He’ll explain how to start up and license your business and if you want him to do it all for you, he’ll give you a discount as well! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Mary Ellyn

February 20, 2010 at 12:42 am

Just remembered something that I wanted to share. Had a little giggle today with a girl currently in my internship program who is now studying for her AFAA group fitness exam. She commented that so far, the AFAA theory seems "just as thorough as" my program! LOL

I was definitely flattered!

• deetron

February 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

Hi everyone,

I’m with Brass Ovaries Pole dancing and I’m NASM (National Association of Sports Medicine) certified and getting a Pole Position Fitness certification in February. My NASM cert is about to expire and I’m not sure if I should get ISSA certification as planned (a very well respected personal training exam) or ACE. ACE seems to be preferred by pole instructors, can I ask why? Is it because they have a group exercise focus?

Julie

AFAA also has Group Fitness Instructor Certification (what I earned my cert. with), but ACE is probably heard of more than AFAA. Both are equally good IMO. I have heard tho that the ACE Personal Trainer stuff is harder than the AFAA Personal Trainer stuff, but I have no experience with either course, so I can not give a fair opinion on that. Essentially you should be learning the same info from both programs, so I guess it depends on the price of the course and what the Pole Fitness Certification you are going to take prefers. Good luck.

I am very interested in this part of the thread. What are everybody’s opinions on the different personal training certifications, and also with regard to pole dancing? There is one company here in Ireland teaching an ACSM (American College of Sports of Medicine) program, and not many others that I know of! All of the PT certs I’m aware of are:

ACE – Have heard of alot of folks with this one, particularly in the pole dancing community
    ACSM – Taught in a classroom near me, and have heard claims it’s harder and/or more thorough than ACE or ISSA
    AFAA – Again, have heard claims that this is harder / more thorough than ACE or ISSA
    ISSA – As far as I know there is no practical exam involved in this one at all!!!
    And the YMCA PT qualification, whatever it is.

Does anybody have any helpful advice / caution about any of them? Or an opinion on which is best?

PS: Why does the NASM cert expire, MissJulie? Is it because you need CPD points, or does it simply expire after a fixed period?

• Mary Ellyn

February 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I don’t know about the NASM but most programs require CEUs to renew.

I personally have the AFAA certification and felt it was very thorough. However I cannot comment very much on the others not having taken them. Naturally you already know that only live testing – both written and practical – is acceptable.

What I would recommend though is to take a group fitness/exercise program not the personal trainer programs as the group certifcation is better related to what you are doing.

• anngiern

February 20, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Just remembered something that I wanted to share. Had a little giggle today with a girl currently in my internship program who is now studying for her AFAA group fitness exam. She commented that so far, the AFAA theory seems "just as thorough as" my program! LOL

I was definitely flattered!

this is probably very true empyrean!! i know you have done your research as well as other notable instructors out there. i think we go above and beyond b/c you want these ladies to get it and achieve pole dancing..so you put your heart into it.

• deetron

February 20, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I don’t know about the NASM but most programs require CEUs to renew.

I personally have the AFAA certification and felt it was very thorough. However I cannot comment very much on the others not having taken them. Naturally you already know that only live testing – both written and practical – is acceptable.

What I would recommend though is to take a group fitness/exercise program not the personal trainer programs as the group certifcation is better related to what you are doing.

Thanks for the advice, Empyrean. Fortunately I’ve already got a group fitness / ETM and a gym instruction qualification, so I’m wondering what to do next! I’d love to do a personal training qual from the point of view of going even deeper into Anatomy and Physiology and things like gait analysis – and I have been told that PT study usually incorporates these things. I’m a bit of a nerd about fitness – I’d do it purely out of interest!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the AFAA certification!

• Angel1201

February 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I started teaching pole after 6 months of pole lessons. Looking back (this was over 2 years ago) I realize how crazy-bad that was. The studio owner was desperate and the people she had coming in to substitute were horrible teachers. She hired me after one of the instructors fell off the pole (from an attempted Aysha) and broke her foot. I knew instinctively that I needed to know more safety information in order to become the best teacher I could. I studied and earned my ACE group fitness cert and also Pole Position Fitness cert. I took in every type of workshop, video, and pole class I could get my hands on. I bought books on and studied anatomy. I consulted my Chiropractor, Physician, and Orthopedic Surgeon for safety advice. I also have a Master’s in Education and over 12 years teaching in the public school classroom. Finally, I would say I feel prepared to teach and lead classes.

My problem now is that I can no longer work at the studio I was employed at. I ran into differences with the owner who accused me of micro-managing. I believe I was offering her suggestions on improving the pole program by offering safety advice, workshop suggestions, and certification information. The owner didn’t want this, she just wanted her pole program to be ‘fun’ and ‘not taken too seriously’. I don’t want to work under that philosophy. This sucks for me because here I am ready and prepared to teach, with no place to do it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif

I guess the bottom line is that studios all have different standards. Some studios require certification, most don’t. There are no prerequisites or qualifications for teaching pole dance. I hope that given the lawsuits and injuries that are happening that regulation will come. But I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Students are the ones that need to push for it. The problem is that so many people are so driven to take lessons that as long as someone is teaching them something (correctly or incorrectly) they are satisfied. It’s a supply-demand issue. Since the interest in pole has exploded there are thousands of people across the US buying lessons. But I’d guess there are less than 200 ‘qualified’ instructors out there.

• GatorGirl4Life

February 21, 2010 at 11:50 pm

My problem now is that I can no longer work at the studio I was employed at. I ran into differences with the owner who accused me of micro-managing. I believe I was offering her suggestions on improving the pole program by offering safety advice, workshop suggestions, and certification information. The owner didn’t want this, she just wanted her pole program to be ‘fun’ and ‘not taken too seriously’. I don’t want to work under that philosophy. This sucks for me because here I am ready and prepared to teach, with no place to do it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif

I guess the bottom line is that studios all have different standards. Some studios require certification, most don’t. There are no prerequisites or qualifications for teaching pole dance. I hope that given the lawsuits and injuries that are happening that regulation will come. But I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Students are the ones that need to push for it. The problem is that so many people are so driven to take lessons that as long as someone is teaching them something (correctly or incorrectly) they are satisfied. It’s a supply-demand issue. Since the interest in pole has exploded there are thousands of people across the US buying lessons. But I’d guess there are less than 200 ‘qualified’ instructors out there.

Sadly this is the case at a lot of pole studios. It seems to me that a lot of pole studio owners know very little about fitness and or the business aspect, and are just trying to jump on the bandwagon because they think they will get rich by opening a studio. The problem is that pole can be VERY dangerous, and those who don’t take it seriously and just want it to be "fun" are running into a lot of injury problems and bad technique that later leads to even worse injuries. The only thing I can advise is that students really research the studio they are planning to take lessons from – how long they have been in business, how experienced with sports, what certifications the instructors have, injury prevention, safety mats, spotting technique, etc. When I first started teaching at the studio I am with currently, the instructors they had were VERY inexperienced (one instructor – no longer with us – was having students perform just about every spin with the split grip) and after a while, a lot of students were coming to me with wrist and forearm injuries, as well as chest and rib injuries and shoulder pains from incorrect technique and inverting before they were ready. Pole dancing is fun, but shouldn’t be taken lightly with the serious risk of injuries at hand. I guess all the studios who are seeming to ignore the safety aspect will be soon out of business when a student gets seriously injured and decides to sue the place….. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

Page 3 of 4