StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Becoming a pole instructor

• Mary Adrenaline

August 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Hello, ladies! Thank you for this thread, you all made interesting points that have helped me organize a few issues in my head. I am interested in becoming a pole dance instructor but I have no background or knowledge about the fitness/dance industry that I'm interested in. I'm scared that I might not fully understand what it really means and takes to be an instructor; especially since I need to invest such a large amount of money into it and I have a photography career to worry about also. I have no problem with investing, as I want to make sure I learn the proper teaching techniques. From what I've been finding out, there are a lot of hidden costs that seem overwhelming. What I need to know is: how much money one needs to spend every year to be certified and insured? How much is the pay usually and how does one do workshops? How many hours should I work to cover all this and still be a performer as well? How do I do this and still have spare time for my other career? Basically, how do I become a successful instructor? Are there any other expenses or things I need to know that you guys could tell me about?

• chemgoddess1

August 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I teach a few nights a week and am covered under the owners insurance as a part time employee.  I am however seeking my own insurance coverage just beacuse it would make me feel better.  I am not certified and have mixed feelings about the certifications that are out there (there are several threads on this issue).  Rates in my area are usually anywhere from $20-50 per class (instructor pay).  PDC US is going to start offering pole insurance in the next few weeks.  This is who I am looking into getting insured through as they have set this up specifically for pole instructors and pole studios. 

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

April 1, 2012 at 4:17 am

Thanks CHarley for giving us a great insight into how managers of a pole studio judge potential teachers…. and I love that you are open to people from non-studio backgrounds as well "We also highly encourage exotic dancers to apply with us. There is an authenticity to the way an exotic dancer moves that many people really want to learn." I am interested in becoming an instructor, I am genuinely obsessed with pole and a huge people person so I think I would love it. However I need to be practical and check whether it's something that would keep me afloat financially, or would I need another source of income on the side…. I guess each studio and each country would offer different pay, but could give you me a ball-park figure for what the average pole instructor earns? Do most instructors have to keep their day job or have some other income on the side to suplement their pay? And how do instructors cope with the instense physical exertion when working for several hours a day, 5 or more days a week…? I imagine you would get incredibly fit fast, but do you recommend instructors to only do a certain amount of shifts/classes per week to not burn out…? If anyone else teaches or owns a studio, your feedback and insight would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

• Charley

April 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Sadly, the stuff I posted back in 2009 is no longer how that particular studio runs things anymore so I left.  

The industry has been steadily changing over the last 5 years or so.  I have so updated ideas to new instructors.  Having been in good and bad instructor situtations I feel like I have some better insights for you girls.

It is not the end all be all to be a pole dancing instructor.  Being an instructor says absolutely nothing about your talents as a performer.  Being an instructor isn't for everyone and that's okay – I've been going back and forth lately thinking about if I want to continue teaching.

Because I'm going through some of the negative aspects of the business I hope it's okay to freely share those things too.

Pay.  Instructors DESERVE good pay and pay should be based on your title, position and the work that youa r doing, plus certs if any apply.  Instructors should get a flat rate and some times studios will offer a flat rate plus commision based on capacity of classes and resigning students.  Please don't work soley based on commision because this gives the studio owner the option of not paying you or charging dirt cheap for classes and you not making the money you are worth.

If you are creating your own classes you should get a flat rate plus commision, if you are coming in and teaching someone else's syllabus you should atleast get a flat rate.  If you are getting a flat rate and teaching what they tell you to teach you should have some kind of yearly review so that you can attain a raise, the studio should have inventives for instructors who book their classes, bring in new students and get certified.  

If you aren't certified the studio should have a training program for you – sometimes these cost money but you will make all the money back on that investment – hte same goes for certification.  Please don't work anyplace where you are the only one who has done a pole certification because the owner will only benefit from your experience and money and that's not fair to you.

Make sure the studi is clear with you about what is expected of you.  Are you expected to market your classes?  Are you expected to create classes?  Will anything you create be owned by the studio and taught by other people besides yourself?  Are you expected to work the front desk, check people in?  Are you expected to share your knowledge of moves or teaching with others?  Are you required to sign a non-competition clause?

Please, please find a fair situation where you are paid for all of your contributions to the company.  I'll also warn that while I am always open to hiring exotic dancers I am seeing a trend now of hiring students and I am seeing a lot of places get a little snooty about the exotic dancer thing (makes me very sad.)

I urge anyone interested in teaching to ask questions and make sure they aren't being used for their talents and then thrown away.  I worked on commission and I made very good money however no matter how hard I tried to fill my classes I wouldn't get full pay because of this coupon, that special, etc.  I designed an entire program that is NOW extremely successful and the owner only yelled at me for an hour and a half about being involved with something that didn't include her and told me if everything I did, did not promote her company I no longer worked there.  I was told other instructors were afraid of me, that I was mean and malicious, that I was self entitled and dramatic.  It was such a hurtful end that I am still recovering from.  Please be sure that you are being paid for your work and that you aren't building someone else's business because I am not left with nothing and being made to feel like the bad guy because I couldn't take being treated like an idea monkey for someone's business.

• Kobajo84

April 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Well said Charley! Sorry to hear you’ve gone through a difficult time with things lately. Just remember through it all, there are a lot of people that love & support you in all the hard work you do- whether we’re actively there for you on a day to day basis or in brief times of passing here online. I hope you continue to enjoy teaching your passion regardless of the situation you’re finding yourself in or if you find it necessary to take a break for your own well being, your students will still be there to see you through. I too was put through a similar situation & having had your support during a difficult time means so much to me. I’m in a better place now & couldn’t thank all you ladies enough for all the support and wisdom you shared, without it I wouldn’t be where I am today.

• Kobajo84

April 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Well said Charley! Sorry to hear you’ve gone through a difficult time with things lately. Just remember through it all, there are a lot of people that love & support you in all the hard work you do- whether we’re actively there for you on a day to day basis or in brief times of passing here online. I hope you continue to enjoy teaching your passion regardless of the situation you’re finding yourself in or if you find it necessary to take a break for your own well being, your students will still be there to see you through. I too was put through a similar situation & having had your support during a difficult time means so much to me. I’m in a better place now & couldn’t thank all you ladies enough for all the support and wisdom you shared, without it I wouldn’t be where I am today.

• Mary Ellyn

April 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

As a studio owner I have some insight on the question about the financial expectations of instructor salaries.

It is very difficult as a studio owner to make your business self-supporting. So many people walk into a studio and count heads and say "This is a great way to make money"

I have seen 6 studios open and then close their businesses within the past 2 years in the Chicago area! It's not easy. Especially if you do it legally!

That includes – in addition to the usual costs of rent, utitlities, payroll, etc – insurance, music licensing, investments in training yourself and your instructors, advertising, etc.

Many studios do not run legally. They incorrectly use independent contractors and are running a huge risk of being nailed by the IRS who is cracking down on the use of independent contractors. This is a commonly misused relationship within the fitness industry and just because others are doing it (and so far getting away with it) doesn't mean it will be safe for you to do so.

As an employee…make certain that you are not hired as an independent contractor only to be told what hours you work, what curriculum you are teaching, or that your students "belong" to the studio. As an independent contractor they are YOUR customers and if you leave those clients remain yours if you choose to take them with you!

As an IC you cannot be told you have to attend meetings for the staff, that you have to work outside events, etc.

Employees can be asked to work extra for events, parties, expos, staff meetings etc…AND they must be paid for these functions!

As an employee OR independent contractor…don't quit your regular job if you need a full time source of income! If studio owners have to work so hard just to make a minimal profit, you definitely cannot expect to live off an instructor's salary unless you only need part time income to begin with.

As an "employee" some studios pay by the hour or by the class. I've seen ranges from $12 an hour to $25 and from $20 to $45 per class.

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

April 2, 2012 at 6:16 am

Empyrean – Thanks for your info, I had thought as much re: the difficulty of financially succeeding as a pole studio owner. I would love to open my onw, there is a demand and absolute no competition for about 400kilometers radius of where I live, but the initial output of money is terrifying. As you said, there are alot of expenses, and it must take time to build a strong client base and find great instructors. 

Charley – Gosh, I am so glad you shared the downsides of being a pole instructor… because now I know to be wary of being taken advantage of and leaving myself vulnerable. 

Both of you mentioned rights of the instructor to their programs/routines/performances etc. I think it's great that we can individualise and recognise the creators. Just because you are working for a studio or franchise shouldn't mean that everything your do/say/invent should automatically become their property. 

Charley I think I know what you mean about the difference between being an instructor and a performer. One is more service based I guess, requiring patience and the communicatio of information, the other is more about art and expression. But i guess both call on your creativity and pole skill. 

Hmmm lots to think about…. I think I would only want to be an instructor in a studio that really inspires and supports me. Since there are so many different studios out there with different styles/values/goals etc I am sure only some would appeal to each individual. I hope we all find what we are looking for and soon! 🙂

• Charley

April 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

If you want to teach for yourself you could maybe rent out cheap office space or you could you rent space from a fitness or dance studio.  That's how I got started teaching.  I only had 4 poles but I could take up to 8 people and classes were really fun.  ðŸ™‚

Page 4 of 4