StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Beginner: Having so much trouble spinning

• Beginner: Having so much trouble spinning

Posted by musings on February 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hey guys- I'm a complete beginner (just started pole last week). I just had my second class today and I'm having SO MUCH trouble spinning. The only spin I can do is the fireman and when my instructor tried to teach my any other pole move, I honestly couldn't do it. When I let go of my legs I felt like I literally PULLED my shoulder out of the socket.

Right now my shoulder is better (and I have a pole at home) so I've been trying to get over my lack of spinning ability @ home but its really REALLY frustrating me.

1) Why do I keep pulling my shoulder? What am I doing wrong?

2) How can I improve? What spin should I start on instead?

I am able to pole climb and pole sit fine. I got all the way up to the top of the pole today in class (yey) and can do a pole sit without hands (but I've found all the weight there is on the top of your foot). So is it that I don't have enough upper arm strength or what?

<3 Frustrated…

Veena replied 12 years, 7 months ago 10 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • LindaLu

February 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hi and welcome 🙂

It sounds like you need to do some shoulder specific conditioning work. Veena's conditioning lessons on here are great.  You really need to be careful with shoulders. They are very easily injured and have a long recovery time.  Always be sure you are holding your shoulders back and down, keeping those muscles engaged so that you aren't pulling on your arm and shoulder joint. You should NEVER feel like it is pulling your shoulder out of socket. 

It will all come with time.  You don't want to move forward to quickly and end up with an injury. There are a lot of other things you can work on like walks, body or hip waves, slides, etc while you are building up the strength to be able to start to do spins.

Great job with the climbing!  Keep it up.  Your arms sound like they are pretty strong already :-).

• Danielle Tillie

February 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Should conditioning is very important for spinning! It takes some time to develop. Try not to through too much momentum into your spin til you have the strength to withstand the force of it. Half spins (or a step-around) are nice non-weight bearing moves to work on building that strength. Keep your shoulders back and down, engaging the muscles conciously to avoid letting them rise. It’ll get better, but please take a relaxed pace in building your strength, gently stretch the shoulders after pole, and allow rest days in between. Happy poling! 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    February 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Oh no, don't feel discouraged! I strongly feel spins with both feet off the ground are not beginner moves. There are some spins that are appropriate for advanced beginners.! It takes time for a person to build up the necessary strength and body mechanics to do spins, without injury. 

If your instructor hasn't explained it already, be sure to ask how you should properly engage your shoulders for spins. If you forget don't hesitate to ask again. Ask for conditioning exercises that you can do at home, to prepare for pole.

If you happen to be taking the online lessons here, check out the Forward and Back Scapula exercise https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/0225276c-b90a-11df-856f-001b214581be and the Pole Strength lessons.

• musings

February 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Aww thanks everyone! Those were such nice comments.

I actually JUST got the lessons and looked at the first couple spinning excercises and realized that I was wrapping my wrist around the pole and that was causing a LOT of my strain! I'm definitely going to try out those conditioning excercises.

I also just realized that my spins are not well controlled and my legs feel really slippery while my hands are actually spinning fine. I'm taking a break for the day because I think I'm figured out how to do the spins without actually hurting my shoulder (I'm doing the shoulder back, chest up delio) but any advice on how to actually hook my legs so they'll stay instead of being all slippy slidey?

• Veena

Administrator
    February 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yay Musings! Be sure to start by watching each Getting Started lesson for every section, these will give you tips for structuring your pole sessions. Lessons are all placed in order, allowing you to build the necessary strength! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

For the shoulders, think more about keeping a neutral scapula (like shown in the forward & back scapula lesson) Pulling/pinching the scapula together is also not suggested.

Once you understand upper body placement for spins, you can work on the legs.

• musings

February 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm

😀

Will do- the lessons look GREAT so far.

I really do like my studio but I think these vids are so much better at breaking down all the moves!!!

• Runemist34

February 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hey!

I had a lot of trouble with spins when I was starting out- still have issues with some of them!

For the legs, much of it depends on placement. I've done all KINDS of silly things with my legs, even in a fireman spin! I slipped, once, to where I was gripping with just my toes- that was weird, and I sure didn't feel secure!

One of the spins I struggled with badly in the beginning was the front hook spin. My upper body was so curled in (I was a bit scared!) that I couldn't hook my knee properly around the pole, and it just… didn't work.

So, be sure to pay attention to your body position, and remember: It gets better with practice!

Best advice (also sometimes the freakiest :P) I ever got was pushing the chest forward!

• musings

February 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Thank you so much!

I'm sooo happy to know I'm not alone haha. I'm in a class with beginners of all levels so it was really frustrating when a classmate was doing these gorgeous spins and I couldn't even get off the ground haha.

Thanks so much guys!!!

• jade s

February 5, 2012 at 12:33 am

You definitely want to build your upper body strength. I had zero upper body strength when I started and yes, it can be super frustrating. Veena has some great exercises on her lessons for helping to build arm strength. As for the shoulders, be careful. Many beginners make the mistake of hanging rather then holding. If you have Veena’s lessons, she even mentions in the fireman tutorial not to let your body “drop” into it. I know it looks like hanging from the arms, but hanging + gravity could = injury. When I first learned the fireman spin I had a hard time keeping control, so I started doing a closed fireman (same feet positioning, but my knees close to the pole). It gave me a little more control and security and I wasn’t putting so much weight on my arms. I’ve just sort of stuck with it. Don’t be too hard on yourself, especially after only one week. I know it can be really difficult not to compare yourself to other dancers, but remember that everyone starts out in a different place. Some may have dance or athletic backgrounds and more upper body strength. I know for me, I have more strength in my legs, so climbs and pole sits were relatively easy compared to anything that required arm strength. Take your time. It’s better to go slowly and really master a trick and make it look beautiful than to rush it.

• Dancing Paws

February 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Are you pulling with the top arm along with presing with the bottom. It is very easy to just hang by your top arm, while pressing with your bottom, but that is incorrect. You really have to imagine that you are pulling yourself up with that top arm as well. That will engage your muscles. Spins use active muscle contraction; no dangling.

• musings

February 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

Oooo good advice you guys!

So question for all you pros. Should I wait to do spins until I have enough body strength to actually haul myself in those positions without the spin? For example, the attitude ankle spin. Should I actually be able to get my legs into those positions and hold it? Right now I can't, so does that mean I'm not ready for the spin?

• poledanceromance

February 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Just beside you can’t hold yourself in a static hold in the spin position doesn’t mean you can’t do the spin! The fireman spin is one of the easier spins, but I wouldn’t expect a beginner who can do a fireman to be able to just do a bracket hold in that position.

Remember as you do these spins that your bottom hand is important too! You should be trying to pull the pole toward you with your top hand and pushing the pole away from you with your bottom hand. Grip with the top hand like you’re trying to pull the pole down out of the ceiling, while your bottom hand is trying to push the pole away.

• bluestorm

February 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hiya, I kept hurting my shoulder when I first got my pole until I read somewhere to make sure your shoulders were back and your not hanging on your arm, not sure if it was this or just lack of strength and a coincidence I started doing this and it got better?

• musings

February 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for the advice!

So I tried a spin and seriously BURNED my inner thighs even though my pole was SUPER SLIPPERY for my hands. I'm so confused haha.TH

PS: You guys have been AMAZING- thanks for listening to me~

• musings

February 8, 2012 at 12:01 am

EEEP!! I GOT IT TONIGHT!!!

Thanks to EVERYONE on this site who gave me such good advice that I read and tried to internalize before I jumped on the pole again (gave myself two days of good rest) AND TONIGHT I DID SPINS BEAUTIFULLY!!! (okay- albeit not superrrr clean BUT STILL MUCH BETTER THAN NOOOOO SPINS AT ALL!!!!) YEYYYYY

<333333

Page 1 of 2