StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Binging

• Binging

Posted by moonflower on November 16, 2010 at 5:34 am

I have a confession to make girls. I know it seems strange coming from a small girl, but, I just ate 4000+ calories today. I feel like a cow. And not only that, I’ve been eating like this for the past 3 weeks. I"m always hungry. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, but I’ve this uncontrollable urge to eat everything in sight. I joke about it to my bf and to my co-workers about how i"m getting ready for winter and how I have no idea where it’s going. But it’s not funny. It sucks.

I feels horrible. I"m so bloated right now and I feel like I"m goign to burst at the seams. I feel really out of control. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_puke_r.gif

I didn’t know who to tell…no one takes the "skinny girl" seriously when it comes to binging. They’ll just tell me it’s about time I gained some weight. So I figure I’ll leave it here.

Runemist34 replied 13 years, 10 months ago 10 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Mindy4pole

November 16, 2010 at 6:27 am

A couple of medical possibilities come to mind.

Could you be pregnant? That can definitely up your appetite!

Also, you might want to get your thyroid checked. Overactive thyroid can make you eat like nobody’s business! Have you had any other issues besides the appetite?

I’m glad your talking to people about this. Since it came on suddenly, it sounds like something physical. Do you have a doctor you can talk to? If you have one, you can probably just call their office and talk to the nurse over the phone.

I hope you feel satisfied soon!!
    Mindy

• moonflower

November 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for hte reply Mindy. Pregnancy has crossed my mind several times. I’m on the pill, but I heard that getting my period on the pill doesn’t mean I’m not pregnant. I’m not sure how true that is.

I never thought of my thyroid. Can thyroid problems start in my late 20s?

Another cause I’ve thought of is that my pill no longer is hte right dosage of hormones for me. I’ve felt this before when I was on depo, gained 20 lbs in two semesters back in university.

Either way, I need to make an appointment with my doctor. He’s so hard to get a hold of, unless you have a high fever and are really really sick, the wait is up to 2 months. I’ve been going to walk-ins for most sickness. I don;t think a walk in can help me with this though.

• MommaBear

November 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

The two things mentioned seem the most obvious and simple. I would have those things ruled out.

I have no insurance, so getting anything checked is near impossible. I called a doc I used to see, explained I was having symptoms that could be related to thyroid functioning and asked them to provide an order for bloodwork (specifically to check thyroid levels) and they faxed it over to our local Urgicare center and I had the test there – it’s just a blood draw. Since you are already having a blood draw, you could also ask for a pregnancy test – I don’t think you need an order from a doc for that one.

Hope everything fares well.

• nicolelauren

November 17, 2010 at 1:44 am

Definitely make sure you rule out pregnancy, although if you had a full period, its doubtful. Getting your thyroid checked is also a good idea as this sounds like a hormonal issue.

When you eat, what kind of food are you eating? Are you really physically hungry or is it just more of an uncontrollable urge to eat? Eating so much could be stretching your stomach and your body tends to adjust to your caloric intake, so if its used to getting that many calories every day for a few weeks straight it could be that. Especially if you are eating a lot of sugar, sugar is a hardcore appetite stimulant.

The pill can be a hardcore appetite stimulant too. The idea that the pill makes you gain weight itself is not really true, but because the pill tricks your body into thinking its pregnant, it can cause you to crave food much more than you normally would, which causes you to gain weight. I quit the pill a month ago and have lost 10 pounds, simply because I don’t have the urge to eat ALL THE TIME that I used to have when I was on it.

• Prncsopowr

November 17, 2010 at 4:06 am

One other thought I had is are you affected my seasonal changes? I find that when the weather starts getting colder, I start eating more. It really is our natural instinct to hibernate. Just another thought…

• Mindy4pole

November 17, 2010 at 6:07 am

Another medical thing I thought of… Diabetes can up your appetite. Are you having to pee more than normal?

Endocrine issues can develop any time. My hubby (47) just got diagnosed w/ low thyroid, and I remember both George Sr. and Barbara Bush developing overactive thyroid when he was president.

For the pregnancy consideration, just get a drug store test and take it. They are very accurate, and then you could rule out that worry! =) Good luck with your birth control pills! I have tried many different ones, and they all sucked! I highly recommend the copper T IUD, especially if you are in a stable relationship. I’ve LOVED mine. That is, I rarely ever think about it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Mindy

• moonflower

November 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

The period came today, complete with some of the worse cramping I’ve felt for years. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif So I think I’ve ruled out pregnancy.

Prncsopowr, I’m really hoping it’s just a seasonal thing. I have an existing appointment in the newyear wtih my doctor so I’m goign to ask him about my thyroid as well and check my blood sugar levels.

• Mindy4pole

November 18, 2010 at 5:53 am

Congrats (?) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif on the period. I hope you get some answers soon. It’s awesome that you are listening to your body!

Mindy

• nikki_christie

November 18, 2010 at 6:30 am

This may be the grossest suggestion yet… worms.

Not exactly sure how it works, but I have heard that if you have a massive worm (tapeworm I think) in your stomach, you never feel full, eat heaps, but still lose weight (sounds kind of great doesn’t it except for the worm part haha)

Binging is also a disorder (just like anorexia or bulimia) so if you feel like you have a compulsion or emotional need to eat it might be worth checking that out too, however it doesn’t sound like it in this case!

Best of luck, let me know if its a worm!!

• Veena

Administrator
    November 19, 2010 at 2:53 am

I get crazy hungry sometime before my period…could it have been that? Are you feeling better now? I hope so. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• chemgoddess1

November 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I have days and sometimes weekends where I CONSTANTLY eat…it is usually bad food too which makes me crave even more bad food. I have to make a conscious effort to eat something healthy and that will usually put a stop to the madness.

• KristiEllKay

February 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Were you still binging after you had the period with the really bad cramps? If not, it really could have been pregnancy. An unviable pregnancy will usually miscarry fairly early on. A miscarriage is like a really bad period, with the worst cramps imaginable. Taking the pill could also be what’s making the pregnancies unviable, because of the hormones. I was just wondering, because if you weren’t still binging after the period, I’d recommend changing birth controls…

• Runemist34

February 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I've had this kind of thing before…randomly, during the summer, for a few summers in a row…I couldn't stop eating for three days. If I stopped, within an hour I felt like I was starving, and I would be on the verge of passing out.

My doctor suggested Thyroid issues, but also said that any medication he would give me would take 3 months to take on. That seemed silly, because it was only a few days I would have the issue.

As long as you can rule out something like…erm, eating disorders https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif (touchy subject, I know) I would suggest trying what I did:

Be really careful about how and when you eat. It's important to pay attention to it. Your senses are what alert your stomach to the act of eating, so look at your food (instead of the television or whatever), smell it, take your time with it. Set yourself a routine. Generally, it's better to eat several small meals throughout the day, rather than just three (it keeps your blood sugar at an even keel, so you don't get swings where you feel freakishly hungry). Try to eat some protein, too, as it will help your stomach to feel full for longer.

I have never had that issue with the birth control pill, and the only reason I stopped was for mental health reasons (they contributed to my depression). The pill should NOT be causing miscarriages, because the hormones in your body prevent the egg from releasing, from attaching to the uterus, and all of that stuff.

Possibly check with your doctor.

And stop counting calories. Just stop. It causes all kinds of guilt and shit, and you don't need that. You've got a high metabolism and an active lifestyle (I assume), so you don't need to do it.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_evil.gif