StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Burlesque competition! Help with ideas!

• Burlesque competition! Help with ideas!

Posted by chumpchkin on August 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm

OMG. So. On the spur of the moment I entered a burlesque competition which is taking place in September. I've NEVER done burlesque before. I've performed a lot, but not this kind of performance! I'm super comfortable with taking off my clothes in front of other people, so that's not a problem, but I definitely need to come up with a routine fast. Oh, and decide on a name. The two names I've been tossing around are Tirami Sue and Pandora Z'Boks, but I'm not married to either of them. (My boyfriend really likes the first one, but then I feel like I'd have to do a very Japanese-inspired routine, and finding music for something like that seems like a daunting challenge.)

For music, I'm thinking about doing Ravel's "Bolero," or even Zappa's version of the same piece, but that would be difficult because the beat never really changes.

Agh. Really any advice would be much appreciated. Thoughts on routines? Do you like either of these names, or do you have other ideas? How should I even go about coming up with a routine? It has to have some kind of a storyline, and that's really throwing me.

Layla Duvay replied 13 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Layla Duvay

August 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm

OOooooo, how exciting!!! Names I can't help with, but the first one's nice. Generally they ought to be a little saucy, like Michelle Mynx or Roxy D'Lite or Slink-e Divine (just made that up). Pick a song that has a some sort of narrative that you could sort of act out, especially for your first time out. It's great to have that through line as a fall back! Or you could pick one that encourages props (Bessie Smith's "Put Some Sugar in my Bowl" has possibilities). Then you put together an outfit that goes with the song and voila! I did see a dancer that did Bolero; she came out completely covered in white and then artfully poured paint on herself. It wasn't very "dancey" but it was beautiful clever. Your routine really should be an extension of your personality–that way you canNOT go wrong! I am dying to see what you come up with!!!!

• Runemist34

August 5, 2011 at 12:49 am

Wow, that's quite a leap, darling!

First of all, whatever name you choose, please google it and see if you can find any other dancers with the same name, or pronounciation, or whatever that may be confused with yours. For dancers in Burlesque, the name is part of the character- if you take it, people get very confused, and many will be angry with you, and you don't want that!

If you're not terribly well versed, go out and do some research! Look up a whole bunch of burlesque on Youtube! Professional, amateur, the whole gambit- there's even things like Gore-lesque, or boy-lesque (which is guy burlesque dancers, my favourite is "Tigger!"). You may find you have a particular penchant for a style you'd like to emulate, or see how others tell their stories in their own dances.

I would also HIGHLY suggest Jo "Boobs" Weldon's book, called The Burlesque Handbook. It really did help me a lot, and it has SO much information in it!

As for coming up with your own stories…this one really tripped me up as well…But sometimes other people don't need to know the story you're telling. I've seen quite a few girls do very obvious stories, such as a woman who was desperately trying to seduce a guy (the guy was actually there, too, and it was done to the song "Man eater!"), and I've seen some dances where even I couldn't pick out the story…and I'm very story oriented!

So, don't dwell on it too much. Sometimes, when you get up on stage, you're there to strip, because that's what you do.

Some of my favourite ladies to watch, in case you need someplace to start: Dirty Martini, Michelle Lamour, Roxy D'lite, Immodesty Blaize, Renea La'roux (you may find a different spelling of her name, it's always different on different videos!)…and, most recently, Lola Frost!

And, I'll also point out that a big part of burlesque is oldschool. They're going back to the old days of burlesque, the glamour and old style moves, the bump 'n grind and such. Then, there's Neo burlesque, which is based more on our era. Burlesque is about satire, and back in the old days they were sort of originally making fun of the upper class. Now, you can do neo burlesque and make fun of our "upper class," and our kind of social commentary. It's all up to you!

And also remember… it's about the tease, not the reveal! By teasing, you make the reveals that much better for your audience! I learned that literally on stage…and it was awesome!

Good luck! And have fun!

• reenie aka Mysfit

August 5, 2011 at 1:51 am

Yes–Everything Rune suggested….

Building a burletta(the skit if you will) is much like designing any of piece of entertainment. Your burletta should contain a twist of some sort. Whether it be going to fully clothed to panties and pasties…..or starting as a caterpillar and turning into a butterfly, or something as simple as pulling strange items out of your bra. LOL…

My friend does a mermaid act and actually pulls cans of tuna out of various places. Funny as heck. She is more vaudevillian in her acts though……..very Lucille Ball. It fits her personality perfectly.

You might want to tap into what you want your character to be…..Are you normally super shy? Your on stage character could be the complete opposite—Sexy, loud, and aggressive.

Burlesque is an awesome way to tap into a bit of your inner psyche…..become something you would never dare dream of in day to day life.

Burlesque is an act. Complete with a story line. You on stage are in control. If you want them to look at your hips swaying, accentuate it–their eyes will go there.

When taking a burlesque series—We were instructed to leave the room. When we walked back in–we had to be in character and tap just our index finger on any part of our body that we chose. The point of the exercise was to learn to get our audience to focus where we wanted them to focus. As we only had the finger moving……their eyes automatically went there. It was a cool exercise.

Burlesque to me–is very much like drama and acting classes I took in highschool—-with a twist of course~~I wasn't shedding clothing in drama….LOL

One of the concepts I have been toying with doing——Is dressed as a studious librarian…..who turns into the hidden smokin sexy goddess……

Costume complete with hair up, faux glasses, pencil type skirt and blazer…..the whole nine yards.

Kind of gives an example to things that can be done….

Burlesque is sooooooo many things!!! It is only limited by your imagination.

Saw a really cool burletta recently of a dark alice character……..she started out all sweet etc…..got high from the stuff the caterpillar was smokin and kinda went bonkers on stage. Really cool skit!!

You tube it………….you'll find tons.

My suggestions…..figure out what character you want to be first…………or choose the music and build the character around it.

OR—stick with the tried and true….The tease…………….complete with feather boas and tons of fringe to shimmy!

The costumes can be made cheap. The pasties are super easy to make too.

http://www.mookychick.co.uk/how-to/how-to-guides/burlesque_pasties_nipple_tassles.php

http://www.joyofbellydancing.com/costuming.htm

Google search pulls up quite a bit of do it yourself stuff too…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJC27qmh1pA&feature=channel_video_title

Also, don't buy expensive bras and panties……Buy cheap ones, cuz you are gonna decorate them with bling, sequins, glitter, crystals, fringe etc…….

Not everything has to be sewn either—I am the GLUE GUN seamstress as my hubby calls me….LOL

If you need any help, let us know….but these ideas should get ya going.

• chumpchkin

August 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I think I have an idea for the routine! I'll dance to the "Money Song" from "Cabaret" (I know it rather well since I directed the show last semester!). I plan on coming out in business attire, with a briefcase full of dollar bills, and stripping down to a green corset (later pasties) and thong, and rolling around in the money. My only concern is that the song is only three minutes long…

Anyway, I didn't actually know that I'd made it into the competition until yesterday, and the burlesque group that's hosting is offering workshops in a WEEK. So I have to come up with my routine stat! Thank you all for your help…I hope to videotape it so I can post it here!

• Layla Duvay

August 21, 2011 at 6:31 am

Sounds like a great idea! I can't wait to see it!