StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Calorie/Heart Rate monitors

• Calorie/Heart Rate monitors

Posted by Beccaf87 on April 5, 2015 at 11:40 am

I tried looking through the discussions to see what everyone recommends but I couldn’t find much. I see a few do recommend the Polar brand.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PreppyJune replied 9 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • ambience24z9338

April 5, 2015 at 3:05 pm

No big suggestions from me since Im still learning different apps. I do use the S Health on my phone for calorie and heart rate. Im not as faithful as I should be logging in to it everyday like I should. MyFitPal is another good app.

• Casi

April 5, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I used to use a Polar and it was good (except for surfing – it would lose it’s read whenever I got hit by a wave). I’ve never tried it for pole, but for high intensity cardio it was useful to know how hard I was working.

• Zukii

April 6, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I have the polar, Fitbit surge, and the microsoft band. Problem is that I can’t use the bands when I pole as they get in the way with grab and scratch the screen or the pole. The polar works well and I can keep the watch nearby and check the reading here and there.

• Beccaf87

April 7, 2015 at 10:15 am

I decided to go with the PolarFT7. Tried it out today. Worked pretty well. 400 calories in an hour (with 25 minutes being flexibility training). A third was fat burning and the rest was at “fitness” level. Good way to keep me motivated. 🙂

• newschik

April 8, 2015 at 9:12 am

I went with a Garmin Vivofit. The battery life is one year. I can swim with it as well as just walk around with it. It displays steps, goal and steps away from goal, mileage, calories, sleep, time, date and has a heart rate monitor hook up. I use the HR monitor when I am running. It links to an app, which has improved 1,000 percent since Christmas. The garmin.com laptop link is amazing – offers challenges, etc. My coworkers who have the fitbit like mine because I don’t have to charge it nightly and I have readouts on the band.

• SToast

April 8, 2015 at 10:06 am

I got my polar 4 two years ago and love it. I’ve replaced the watch battery once. It’s easy to do and the battery is $2 on Amazon. It’s always worked great and the chest strap is comfortable and not in the way of dancing. I actually workout harder when I’m wearing it because i like to see how many calories i burn. It’s also good for me because i tend to push my heart rate too high sometimes so I’ve set an alarm on it to let me know. For the price you can’t go wrong with polar.

• Janae B

April 8, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I use Polar! It is absolutely amazing for every workout so far besides poling. For some reason my strap moves around a lot when I pole so I quit using it for that. I tightened it, moved it around, made sure its tight under my sports bra but it just hates me I guess haha! I found that wearing the watch while poling was quite annoying as well.

• iani

April 9, 2015 at 5:54 am

I never used an activity monitor but was looking at some of the wrist ones last week and they seem very interesting. From those who use one, do you really find it worth the price? Do you actually keep it on most of the time, or is it annoying for every day wear? How reliable is it, and how useful do you find it?

• Zukii

April 9, 2015 at 7:11 am

At first they are annoying. Polar is the least annoying to wear as a watch, but wearing the chest strap all day is not practical. The newer Microsoft band and Fit-bits have 24/7 heart rate monitoring which makes them more accurate then others that don’t take your heart rate into account. They are annoying at first but quickly you get used to them. I love the extra push when I look at it and realize I haven’t met my goals. Fitbit has a SUPER web interface that is very motivating.

• PreppyJune

April 9, 2015 at 3:48 pm

I just got the fitbit charge HR, which claims to continuously monitor your heart rate…However, this is not the case for active workouts!! When I’m actively doing cardio, it reads 30/40 BPM LOWER than it actually is. It is incredibly annoying. IM actually returning it.