StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Can I really do this at my age?

• Veena

Administrator
    August 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yay, enjoy the lessons, if you have questions feel free to ask. Remember to watch all of the Getting Started lesson for each section, before beginning, these will help you plan your workouts. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• PlatinumAni

August 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Congrats on going for it. I was 30 when I started a little over a year ago and have surpassed my personal goals from when I started. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif This community and Veena's lessons are amazing! Oh and welcome to SV/

• Pinkkupcakez

August 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

My goodness!  I usually feel uneasy that I was always the oldest in pole class and have no idea that this community is so supportive!  I've started pole about a year ago and never did any kind of exercise before.  I am absolutely not flexible, and no matter how much I try, still not flexible.  However, I can now climb the pole.  🙂

Still trying to do handstand, don't even know where the leverage comes from…how do you raise your legs up?

All of your guys are AMAZING!

• Lyme Lyte

August 13, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Pink, do u have Veenas lessons? She has great ones on doing the different stands. I was working on them yesterday.

• Pinkkupcakez

August 13, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Hi Lyme,

I do have the lessons.  I tried working on them but no go.  I will keep on.    🙂

• islandgirl001

August 13, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Congratulations, Doctorsbaby, and welcome to the world of poling! I, too, am one of the "older" polers at age 44. I started this journey at age 38, 4months after having my 2nd baby. I was never one to exercise before, instead relying on good genes and natural skinniness, but once the 30's came around and I had children, all that went out the door! This is THE BEST form of exercise that I've ever found and the only one I stuck with! I may not be as flexible or as strong as the younger girls in my classes but I can sure keep up with them! LOL

• hookedonpole

August 13, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I am one of the "older" ones at 57 yrs old.  I started at 52 almost 6 yrs ago (will be 58 in Oct).  I am on the thin side, however, struggle with mid section due to age and menopause.  I am happy with what I've accomplished so far and hope to continue for fitness aspect.  As others have mentioned, everyong poles for different reasons.  Find what works for you, take your time and don't compare to others.  So, in answer to your question, yes!  You can do this at your age.  Oh and the most important thing…have fun!!

Welcome, you will love this site!

• stoneycook

August 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Age, just another 3 letter word.  Pole, spin, dance and enjoy it.

• monica kay

August 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

lol- i think age is a 4 letter word! 

• OzarkSiren

August 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Hey I turned 59 in July. I hoop, I do Aerials and brand new to Pole. I am getting one set up in my house and am so excited !!!  Yes you can do it !!

• Princess K

August 15, 2012 at 12:19 am

Hi – from the UK

It's great to see the support for the 'older' Poler on here yet again – I've found that to be the case across the board from the wider Pole community too.

Like a lot of the ladies replying here, I came to Pole rather late in life at about 45 – wishing now, of course, that I found it so much earlier.  I've had plenty of times when it felt like an uphill struggle and I compared myself to the more flexible youngsters in classes.

Here I am now, 5 years on and I'm an instructor with regular students, both young and old – and I have 4 instructors working with me.  Our school has a lovely reputation and prides itself on teaching Pole Fit in a very non-judgemental atmosphere because I know just how intimidating it can feel when attending classes – even though I was always made welcome, that was my own self doubt!

I love the fact that Pole Fit/Dancing can give anyone a level of fitness and confidence that they never expected when they first started.  So, as has already been said, Go For It and enjoy the journey – you never know where it will lead.

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Pinkkupcakez

August 15, 2012 at 1:17 am

It’s encouraging but how do you deal with the joint pains and inflexibility which gets in the way? I have to wear wrist brace, elbow brace, ankle brace, and my doctor is running out of brace to put me in. 🙁

• Hazi411

August 15, 2012 at 2:43 am

Take up Pilates 🙂 i started doing Pilates a few months ago….my instructor is always saying to us “motion is lotion” – in other words, you have to keep your joints moving in order to keep them lubricated and prevent them from stiffening up.

• echo234

August 15, 2012 at 4:16 am

I take a vitamin combination for joints, I know it helps cuz when I don't take it for awhile I suffer lol  It's by Animal, I don't know that much about it really, thats horrible to say I know.  I was lucky enough to have a fella that never saw me as sick much less "older" and he did a lot to help me build not only my confidence but my physical health and strength.

• Saphyre

August 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Pink, sometimes it feels like I can't go a day without feeling something hurting. I have degeneration in 3 separate areas of my back and neck, tendonitis, an on-going flexor/extensor  injury, and IT band/hip issues. I also have the "brace this" issue! A couple of things:

1) I take Glucosamine for joint health

2) I warm up for at least 30 minutes before I do any serious pole moves

3) I stretch for a minimum of 20 minutes after each session

4) I follow Veenas stretching and conditioning

5) I never pole more than 3 days a week

6) I listen to my body. "If it starts to ache,  give it a break!"

7) Ice and heat are your friends

I agree wih Hazi on the Pilates/Yoga. It is great for flexibility and strength. There is also a blog here from KEEZ  where she goes into some detail about bruises, burns, rips, and soreness that is really great. xoxo

Page 2 of 3