StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Can a Pole be too thin?

• Can a Pole be too thin?

Posted by rainbowsstars on October 30, 2013 at 4:55 pm

So, after much research I decided I was going to go for a 45mm X Pole.

I managed to find one on ebay for a good price, which had never been used by its original owner.

However, having got the pole home and got the tape measure out I have discovered that it is actually a 40mm X pole…

I also have an additional problem that makes things a bit more complicated; The ceiling in my house is slightly too low for the standard length X pole, meaning I need to purchase an extra extension to use instead of the B pole so that it will fit- this means that I can’t just put the 40mm up and see how it goes- I’ll need to spend another £35 in order to use the pole (I also need a ceiling mount).

A bit of extra information about me:

I am pretty new to pole dancing, I only started a couple of months ago, but decided I wanted to be able to practice at home in addition to my weekly classes, hence the search for a pole for at home. They have 50mm poles where I have lessons, so that’s all I’ve used so far.

I have medium-ish sized hands, and my fingers overlap slightly on the 40mm.

I’m just worried that the 40mm is too thin for my hands (is such a thing possible?) or that it will feel overly thin compared to the 50mm poles I learn on…

So, the question is; should I keep this pole, or sell it and get the 45mm I wanted?

Veena replied 10 years, 11 months ago 10 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Lina Spiralyne

October 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm

It would surprise me very much if you’d find that pole to thin for your hands. It’s easier to squeeze the pole efficiently when it’s not so thick. So on that point I don’t think you need to worry.

For body grip it’s usually the opposite, that the thicker poles feel easier to work on (and pinch a little less in the knee pits) since the area of contact between the skin and the pole will become larger. However, there are loads of people working on 40 and 38 mm poles and many many love them.

You’re unlucky not being able to try it without that extention you’re talking about. I’d probably just keep it, but I’m personally longing for a 40 mm! I’m sure you’ll win some and loose some whichever of the two you choose.

Thicker poles are usually recommended for beginners who are just starting to learn the moves which require skin grip, but later on most people wanna go down in size. I started with a 50 mm (because it was really standard back then) and switched to a 45 after a year or a year and a half. And now I’ve been thinking on a 40 for quite long. That’s usally how the story goes.

• Runemist34

October 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I can understand your concern, but I think you should be alright.
    I was previously dancing on a 50mm (I think) Lil mynx pole, stainless steel, and that was ALL I was used to. All I had ever danced on. When I went to Iceland and visited Eva at her studio, however, she had thinner poles. At first, I thought “No way!” My hands are fairly large, and I have a lot of leg, and I believed there was no way for me to find it, let alone grip it.
    However, the Studio Veena pole that I now own is thinner than my beloved 50mm, and I was concerned at first… but, I love it now. It’s actually easier to grip, better to use, and nicer on my hands.
    I think it takes some getting-used-to, but I also think that you will be fine with your pole, once you get it up 🙂

• Dancing Paws

October 30, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I would imagine, if your fingers only cross a little bit, that the 40 should be fine. The main people who seem to have trouble with the 40s are individual with large hands. As with any change in diameter, there is an adjustment period. Once you get past that, you may find that you love the 40. I say give it a while. Practice a lot of different moves, work on hand strength, and see if your opinion of the diameter changes.

• Charley

October 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I’m fairly small and I love the 40, I had one up for several months and many students seemed to love it as well. Ask pole if you can return the unneeded extension for the right one. Worst case scenario, you don’t like th 40 and you put it back on eBay for what you paid :). Then get a new one. Personally I think the 45 is th eperfect size for everyone. Spoke has great customer service I’m sure they will help.

• rainbowsstars

October 31, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Thank you so much for all your responses : )

I’m still trying to decide what to do, it seems so thin compared to the poles I have my lessons on! But I guess the only way to find out is to give it a go…

Unfortunately I’ll have to wait until I’ve ordered the extra extension to give it a go.

And additional problem that for some reason x pole don’t do a ceiling mount for the 40mm sport pole so I’ve also got to work out another way to get it up (I’ve got exposed wooden beams which are too narrow for the top plate, so was just going to put the fixed mount on instead. Thinking a wooden block attached to the beam for the plate to sit onto might work, but not sure).

• littlebunny92

October 31, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I looooooove my 40mm!! I started on a 50mm and wasn’t getting ANYWHERE.. I felt so discouraged and thought I was in WAY over my head. I’m pretty petite, but as soon as I got my new pole–WOW! I learned all this stuff so fast. I inverted at 3 weeks in..I also just got my aysha and shoulder mount. I’ve only been poling for 2 months. I think that’s great progress and thank my 40mm!

Now that I’ve gained more strength though.. I’m pretty sure I could use a 45. (I know this from poling on random objects throughout town lol) But anyways!!! If your petite like me and love learning new tricks… i say “Go for it!!” You may end up loving it!

• bodyworkshop21

November 1, 2013 at 5:54 am

I have a studio with a suspended ceiling – so I have a plate fitted behind the tile plus just a piece of wood shaped in a circle in front so my pole goes up to that – part of ceiling has a beam too and so I’ve attached the same thing to that – I’ve marked a line round where the ‘hat’ of the pole should sit in order for it to be central and it works just fine – I’ve attached a photo – ps I agree small poles are just fine – I find they just pinch a bit for legs xxx

• michaelaarghh

November 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm

You will be fine with a 40mm pole 🙂 We pole on 38mm at the studio here in Australia! I have some photos of my hands wrapped around my 40mm on my profile, and it overlaps a bit. it’s a lot easier to grip with your hands on a skinnier pole. I personally find leg grips a little challenging sometimes on the 38mm (like CAR), because i have skinny legs, but would be totally secure on my 40mm or larger. But you will get used to it 🙂

Can you not use the ceiling mount for a stationary pole? Have you spoken to x pole about this? It seems kind of silly, and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I have the ceiling mount bc my old place was exactly like you mention; one single beam running across the ceiling which was way too narrow for the dome. But I have the x-pert.

• nymphdancer

November 1, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I find 40’s painful, but I have large hands so I cut my fingers with my nails on a 40. But I did that when I first got my 45 too. My fingers touch around a 50.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 1, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Back in the day we only had 50 mm poles! We learned to work with it. I’ve used all sized and it’s possible to adapt to any size. However, if I were to recommend sizes I would say 50mm for men and 45 or 40 for women. Give your 40 a try! 😊

• rainbowsstars

November 7, 2013 at 1:26 am

Thanks for all the advise : )

The extension piece I needed arrived yesterday so hopefully I will be able to get the pole up at the weekend, then I’ll be able to give it a go. Fingers crossed that 40mm works for me!

• Veena

Administrator
    November 7, 2013 at 1:47 am

Let us know how it goes!

• rainbowsstars

November 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm

So, I finally got my pole up and gave it a go… The spins are fine, but I can’t grip it with my legs at all! Will this get easier? I must need to work on my inner thigh muscles…!

• Dancing Paws

November 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

It should get easier. When I went down from a 50, I had a bit of trouble at first, but I adapted quickly. You will build the muscles needed for the smaller diameters. Squeeeeze the living daylights outta those thighs.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 25, 2013 at 10:35 am

Rainbow, make sure your legs are warm enough!