StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Can anyone recommend a routine dvd?

• Can anyone recommend a routine dvd?

Posted by JorgiB on January 17, 2012 at 4:50 am

Hey,

In a bit of a rut at the mo with my poling, learned quite a few moves but really need to start working on routines and the dance side of things. Love learning new moves but really think its time I started to put things together.

Can anyone recommend a dvd that helps with this. Most of the dvds I have focus on new moves and maybe a 1 minute routine at the end. I've been using Vertical Dance 1&2, the full Art of Pole set and a few cheap dvds off ebay.

I really want a dvd with full routines that would fill a 3-4 minute song, are the Art of Pole routine dvds any good? Has anyone tried these, would you recommend them for the dance side of things? Are there any full routines on the Polepeople dvds (intermediate/advanced).

Would love to hear from anyone who could recommend any dvds, or maybe give me some advice. xx

Dancing Paws replied 12 years, 9 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

January 17, 2012 at 7:54 am

((cough cough))  Studio Veena??  V has quite a few routines in the lessons.

• JorgiB

January 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

@chemgoddess i had veenas lessons in the past but my internet and laptop are so crappy the lessons kept stopping and buffering, very frustrating.

• RoseMay

January 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

I have the Art of Pole Routine DVDs and can recommend them. There are four routines on each dvd from beginner to advanced.

What I really like about those dvds is that she breaks everything down. So you don't have to sit in front of the computer and stop every few seconds to write down what was done (at least that's what I do with normal dvds that only show the routine, but don't explain it). So you can really follow along. The explanations for one routine of around 2 minutes are usually 30 minutes long. But if you already know the routine you can skip the explanations of course and skip forward to the part where she leads you through the whole routine.

The routines are usually around 2 minutes. But I found that they are danced really quickly and if I dance them on my own to my own music I'm a lot slower – so yes, they can fill in a whole song. Also, you could put two routines together if you want one that is longer.

Yeah I think they helped me with the dancing part. Although I found that her style of dance is not really mine, I look really awkward when I try to imitate Jamilla https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif  But making the routines "your own" by changing parts of it is after all what helps to develop an own style 🙂

• Kobajo84

January 17, 2012 at 11:00 am

LiveOnce Beginner DVD has a long routine on it, Art of Pole's Routine Series is good, and BeSpun's Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced are all a routine broken down into 5 sections you can mix and match up for a routine that is always changing. 

• MsBKitty

January 18, 2012 at 12:55 am

Jamilla did a Routines Video along side of the Art of Pole. You can take a peek here: 

http://badkittyexoticwear.com/shop/jamilladevilleroutines1-p-1311.html

• cupcake11

January 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

I’d also recommend Jamilla’s dvds. I have both and love them. Very dance-y and has a strong stage presence.

• azblanco

January 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

I really want to try Jamilla's DVD's also! =)

But something I am really excited about that I read on Alethea Austins Fan F.B. page is she is going to be working on a floor work routine DVD- don't know if she started or not but she said to be looking for it in the next few months!!!  Just wanted to share with you guys!

=)

• JorgiB

January 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks everyone appreciate your help 🙂 I ordered the art of pole routines 1 today, cant wait to get it! I hope Alethea does do a floor work dvd, that would be awesome!

• Kira

January 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I don't know if it's along the lines of what you're looking for but Bobbi's do a series of routine dvds and pole grooves dvds which feature about 10 to 15 routines from beginners upto advanced.

It doesn't teach the combos step by step (I think it's for students to watch and refresh their memory) but it's not hard to watch and note down what each move is, that's what I do haha I love Bobbi's routines so much, it always looks 'easy' -even the floorwork – but is such a workout! The pole grooves breaks down combinations for you to piece together so that would be better if you wanted to begin trying to put your own routine together and need ideas 🙂

• JorgiB

January 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

Thanks Ollie, I  had a look on Bobbis website, that sounds really good 10-15 routines should def find a style I like, do you know how much they cost with shipping to the UK?

• RoseMay

January 20, 2012 at 8:27 am

Hi Ollie, which dvds of Bobbi do you have exactly? I got the pole grooves and advanced pole grooves and there is just one routine on each dvd. I do like the combos though and especially on the advanced pole grooves one are a lot of dance, split and floorwork moves.

• Vdub

January 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

I have the same problem with putting moves together.  Who is Bobbi and where can I find her DVDs?

• Mary Ellyn

January 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

I find it's best to learn short sequences.

First of all you may not like or even be able to do all the moves in someone else's full routine. Concentrate on developing short sequences of the moves YOU like and that you do well and look good with your style.

Also it's easier to remember short sequences and add them into every dance you do.

This is how we teach our advanced students though we begin working on it right from the beginning in our classes.

• Kira

January 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Jorgi – I was lucky enough to go to their studio for a year so I bought the dvds there. Think each dvd was around AU$40 (roughly £20) so with p&p to here it would be around £25?? I'm not too sure to be honest, you can always email them and they'll reply super fast 🙂  

An intermediate 3 routine : http://youtu.be/Irsf7ARbtVU
    An example of an advanced routine : (2min 18 in) http://youtu.be/bW9MYQsKQq8

RoseMay – I have their Routine DVD (Beginners – Advanced, quite an old one), Routine DVD vol. 3 (again beginners to advanced) and Advanced Pole Grooves Volume 2. You're right with Pole Grooves not having many routines but they break down combos as well as having warm ups etc. 

Vdub – http://www.bobbispolestudio.com.au/index.php?c=bobbi&m=shop

Hahaha I sound like I work for them…. I wish!

• RoseMay

January 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I think they don't sell these Routine dvds anymore … at least I couldn't find them on their page https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

Page 1 of 2