StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Canadian competitions?

• Themonkey

July 17, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Not really… Wish there was 🙁 Canada is lame like that

• polevixen83

July 18, 2011 at 7:21 am

Miss Pole Dance Alberta is being held in August in Calgary. Probably several other provinces will follow suit with their regionals in the next while too. 

• MrsNaughtywed

July 18, 2011 at 7:54 am

I hope there are more. I’ve been throwing around the idea about a miss pole dance Ontario. We have a large southern ontario pole community and I think it would do well. Does anyone know if miss pole dance Alberta is only for those living in Alberta?

• polevixen83

July 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

http://www.misspoledancealberta.ca/

That is the web-page for the contest. I am not sure if it is strictly Albertans only, but I do know that the winner is actually expected to take on the title as somewhat of a job and there are obligations that you would be committed to fullfilling. 

I am pretty sure there is a PFIC organization in Ontario, and I know this contest is meant as somwhat of a regional qualifier into MPDC. I would be surprised if the Ontario PFIC chapter wasn't trying to get their own competition together. 

• PJ Piglet Poles

July 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I'm toying with the Idea of starting a Regional…but I thought I would start with a Toronto show case.. I've just… I mean just started looking into the idea like today.  It would be good to have  East and West Regionals..the winners automatically go to MPDC…They should remove the "M"  and just use Pole Dance Canada…I'm sure some boy's are going to step out into the light.  

• Phoenix

July 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I was talking to one of the ladies that organizing it last week and she was telling me they were talking about opening it up to Manitoba and Saskatchewan but its not a 100% thing.

• PJ Piglet Poles

July 19, 2011 at 8:00 am

Thank you Lorraine! 

@ Ghetto Barbie…could you ask the Alberta organizers if it would be okay for you to pass on their contact information or if  they would rather  contact me to them to ask some questions?  

@ Any Ontario people;…if you would like to start a committee of some sort to get this off the ground please message me…the more minds the better  Best, PEGGY Jo

• mynxpole

July 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hey Ladies!

here is the reason(s) why…

The people that run Miss Pole Dance Canada, years ago purchased all the provincial names which means no one else can run a Miss Pole Dance (province) unless they are holding the regionals for Miss Pole Dance Canada. There would need to be a host studio and that host studio would hold it in their city/province and send the winners (expenses paid) to Miss Pole Dance Canada.

In Saskatoon we have been playing with the idea however since pole is fairly new to this province in the last 3 years, we may not have many compete. We are toying with the idea of doing a smaller scale for the first year and not sending the winner to Miss Pole Canada, and it wouldnt be called Miss Pole Dance Saskatoon because we cant do that. So we may do a studio version or something….

• dustbunny

July 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Okay, so no one can host an event called Miss Pole Dance _________ (insert province or territory name here).  I really don't see that as an excuse for Canada to not have more competitions and showcases.  For goodness sake, does no one have any creativity…all you need is a different name!

• polevixen83

July 19, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Just heard word,

MPD Alberta is NOT exclussive to Alberta residents, any Canadian resident is welcome to submit an entry.

Just wanted to share that.

I also agree there should be more competitions or even just showcases all over the country. I know it would motivate me to work harder. I am hoping to enter MPDA next year, this year it was too short a notice, but I am excited people are starting to seriously talk about more stuff to go on in Canada, it's about time! 

• mynxpole

July 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hey Dustbunny, yeah pretty much. The name is copywritten. You could in theory do one just called a different name, but I think the fear there is stepping on toes. But that is what we are looking at in Saskatoon is doing a smaller scale – not provincial one and having it an internal name or something.

I agree though, it is strange no one else has done one. At least that we know of…..

• mynxpole

July 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hey Dustbunny, yeah pretty much. The name is copywritten. You could in theory do one just called a different name, but I think the fear there is stepping on toes. But that is what we are looking at in Saskatoon is doing a smaller scale – not provincial one and having it an internal name or something.

I agree though, it is strange no one else has done one. At least that we know of…..

• MPDAlbertaOrganizer

July 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sheryl Walsh, and I am one of the organizers for the Miss Pole Dance Alberta 2011 contest as well as an upcoming competition to be held in Calgary in late spring 2012.  Both events are sponsored by Platinum Stages and Mighty Grip.

Polevixen….you are correct, the competition is open to all residents of Canada, not just Alberta.

Prize of trips to Vancouver is from Calgary, and the entry to the MPDC2011 is guaranteed.  Hotels are provided by MPDC Organization.

The title's of "Miss Pole Dance (anything in Canada)" are owned by Tammy Morris, owner of Miss Pole Dance Canada Organization and Tantra Fitness in Vancouver.  Permission can be obtained by the MPDCanada organization to host a regional competition.  We are the first to gain access to the usage of the title for an event…but hopefully we will not be the last.

The first MPDC was 2007, followed by 2010..and with interest gaining, the MPDAlberta was scheduled in 2011.  I really hope to see more across the country in preparation for the MPDC in 2012.  Having multiple provinces involved would be so wonderful!

Unfortunately, these types of events take months, sometimes years to plan and execute, so start now!!

She can be reached via email at misspoledancecanada@gmail.com

Piglet…you can contact me directly at misspoledancealberta@gmail.com if you would like any additional information.

As mentioned above, there will be another competion in Calgary in the late spring of 2012.  I would like to extend an offer to any studio interested in hosting a "provincial" competition to please contact me..as we are looking at increasing the number of competitions in Canada…on a amateur and professional level…as well as including the boyz! 🙂  We want to showcase the best in our country!

Our main goal as event organizers is to ensure the quality of the competitions, as well as promote the art and sport positively.  Both the MPDCanada and the MPDAlberta organizers are open to working with everyone!

• Anonyma

July 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm

i dont want to sound  negative but…. you cant own a name for an event…what could they do… Sew the people organising it…it will cost them lots of money… it doesnt even worth it financally to even organise one. From a legal point of view… its ridiculous, would take years in court to finish…. and its not like its a big name event with lots of budgect involved…

The title's of "Miss Pole Dance (anything in Canada)" are owned by Tammy Morris, owner of Miss Pole Dance Canada Organization and Tantra Fitness in Vancouver.  Permission can be obtained by the MPDCanada organization to host a regional competition.  We are the first to gain access to the usage of the title for an event…but hopefully we will not be the last.

• MPDAlbertaOrganizer

July 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm

actually when you have trademarked the name and own its corporate registered entity…you do own it.

The organization has paid tens of thousands of dollars to protect their idea and their content in the court of law.  When you spend that kind of money, you have lawyers on retainer to enforce it.

To do it on your own would not only be despicable based on a personal & moral level, but it would be against canadian laws.

She could sue, she could take you to court and have you forced to pay rights fees and all proceeds, she could have a judgement placed against you personally which could follow you for eternity.

There are many legal aspects that could be looked at and taken, strictly because she has done it correctly and legally.

Personally, I respect this industry and what the MPDC Organization has done for the industry in Canada…which is why we have chosen to work with them, not against them.

Page 1 of 5