StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Can’t find a beam :(

• Can’t find a beam :(

Posted by LizziePole on August 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Ok I have read through older posts and I am none the wiser! It seems to be more difficult for people in the UK judging my the posts, wonder why must have different ceilings?

Anyway at the moment I have my pole in the garage on a thin beam but using a block mount (becuase of the beam being thing) I was wanted to move my pole into my flat becuase my ceilings are high and I don't fancy poling when the dark colder nights of Manchester hit!

Problem is I can't find the beam. I have tapped along all sounds the same. Tried a stud finder but is driving my crazy and after reading posts I realise it doesn't work on plaster which I assume the ceilling is??

My next thing is to use the nail test but becuase I'm in a flat I don't want to nail someones electrics or cables etc.

Is there something Im missing any tips. Its a Victorian house with high ceillings but has been converted into flats if this helps.

Ill need an extension but don't want to buy one until I'm sure I can get a beam.

Thanks veeners! xxx

poledanceromance replied 12 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • GolgothaTramp

August 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Hey Lizzie,

I would suggest that (if it has it) use your stud finder to find cables (mine shows wires and pipes) then do a nail test.

Also, as it's a victorian house a good guide of where to start (if you can see them) is your beams will run the opposite way to your floorboards in that room and your main light fitting will be mounted to one. So if you set your nail a few inches to the side of your light fitting in the opposite direction to the floorboards you should hit beam.

All else fails get a proper builder in to find the joist (their stud finders a much better then B&Qs).

good luck

• ronia

August 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I was also wandering about it. How important is it really to put the pole exactly on the joist/beam? Do I risk damaging my ceiling if I don't do that? Will the ceiling get cracks in it or something? I also couldn't find the beam when I was first installing my pole. But then I realized that the beam might just run through the center of the ceiling but because I have a built in closet on one side of the room I can't put the pole there because that wouldn't give me enough space to pole.

• GolgothaTramp

August 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I think basically putting it up not on a beam best case senario; it cracks your ceiling, worst case senario; it cracks your ceiling and comes down with you on it – cracking your skull.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

You HAVE to place the dome against a joist/beam! Golgotha had some good suggestions for finding the beams. 

• Runemist34

August 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm

What my step-dad has done (I don't have the tools to put up my pole, so he does it for me) is take a light fixture off the ceiling and take a look! The ceiling joists are usually pretty evenly spaced, around 12 inches apart or so.

The nail test is a good idea, too.
    I lived in an older house with plaster and board on the ceiling, and the stud finder couldn't figure it out at all! So, we just had to take guesses and see where we thought they were. Only a couple of holes later, we'd found one! Even had to get a larger screw for my mount to reach it properly. Lil Mynx poles are cool like that.

• LizziePole

August 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thanks guys! Can’t believe I didn’t think about the light thing thanks Golgotha! Only thing is my lights have that decorative ceiling thing around it but at least it’s a starting point for me! Great floor board beam direction idea!I’ll let u know how I get on!

• LizziePole

August 23, 2012 at 6:35 am

Guess what??! I decided to call the builder that I bought the flat from as they were newly converted when I moved in, he told me that there is a metal frame work that the plaster ceiling is held against thats why my stud finder was going mental. Anyway then this metal structure is nailed to the joists! So there’s a space of a few inches between joist and ceiling 🙁 does that mean I can’t have my pole in my flat?

• ronia

August 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

Than I just might have to take my pole down altogether 🙁  My pole room is so small that if I put the pole anywhere else than in the center of it I don't have enough space.

• poledanceromance

August 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

You don’t have to do that. If you really don’t have optimal placement, get a nice thick piece of plywood, about an inch, that is big enough to make a square that covers the gap between beams. Use sturdy bolts to attach the piece of wood to the ceiling directly into the beams. You should be able to put the dome over that area and it will distribute the weight to the beams.

• poledanceromance

August 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh and you can usually check for beams with a hammer and nail if all else fails. If it taps in easily you’re over drywall. If it taps in and then gets stuck you’re over wood.

Also if you have an old school house that is real actual plaster over flak boarding you can pretty much put the pole anywhere, because of how the houses were constructed back then. You will USUALLY know if this is the case because you won’t be able to get a nail in anywhere.

If you don’t feel comfortable making that determination stick to the board method!

• ronia

August 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Well, the building I live in was built in 1930's so I guess it must be the old type. This is probably why I couldn't find the damn beam anywhere!

This is a relief because I really didn't like the idea of taking the pole down.

• poledanceromance

August 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Do be careful since as you said there had been renovations, you don’t know how they did them. Sometimes they put drywall up over plaster, it’s hard to tell. But FWIW in my last house I had plaster ceilings, moved my pole around a few places and never had an issue.