StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Complements and Confidence

• Complements and Confidence

Posted by Runemist34 on March 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

This is something I've dealt with for a long time; the idea of feeling good about yourself, accepting yourself exactly how you are, and acting like it. I thought I would ask my fellow polers about it, because I believe this is something most, if not all women deal with…and men, too!

As a little kid, I was told about being humble…though I don't know where I was told this! However, it worked for me, through elementary and highschool, I kept my head down and didn't EVER talk about myself as if I was "good" or "interesting," and I was certainly not attractive back then…or so said many of my bullies, anyways.

Since then, this idea has haunted me…and I wonder if it haunts other people. How do you feel good about yourself without appearing vain? What is vanity, and how is it expressed? What do you do when people tell you that you aren't as good as you think, or challenge you to "prove it" or those kinds of things? What do you say to people when they give you complements?

I've come a long way in being confident, but this continues to be a barrier for me. I always think it's good to talk to others and try to work these issues out! Besides, this IS a little bit pole related…because if I wasn't so down on myself, perhaps I would put up more videos, and be able to watch myself dance without wincing and thinking how awful it looks!

Layla Duvay replied 13 years, 6 months ago 13 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Polecat88

March 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

My wonderful boyfriend taught me a lot about this, he made me realise that you should be your own biggest fan. Who cares if other people think you're vain? That's their problem. Look at all the things you have achieved, all the things you have gotten through and stand tall.

If you don't love yourself, why should anyone else love you? You are as worthy as anyone else on the planet. =) 

• dustbunny

March 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I completely agree with salubivires, be your own biggest fan!  I think you only cross the line into vanity if you start to act/believe that you are "better" than everyone else.  As long as you can believe in yourself without looking down on others, you're good in my books! 🙂

• Runemist34

March 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Thanks ladies 🙂 I appreciate the support!

Dustbunny, how does one think so well of oneself, without…um…appearing to judge others? To say "Yeah, I'm great!" and not make others think that you think you're better? I know that seems a little weird…

How do you not get bogged down with all the "shoulds" and "should nots" of society and people, and yourself? These things usually drag me down pretty hard, too. If I don't "meet standards" in something, then obviously I'm not that good, right? How do you separate these kinds of things?

• UTpoler

March 18, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I think you can give yourself a pat on the back for the accomplishments you've made without taking away from others.  Just because you're good at something doesn't mean someone else is automatically better or worse than you…..it just means you're both at different stages.  And that's OK!  How boring would life be if we were all at the same stage in life or ability?!  It's never healthy to compare yourself to others in anything you do.  If you find your train of thought headed that way or in a negative direction tell yourself, "No, I will not think like that.  I am not .  I am me and I am awsome.  I am comfortable with where I am right now.  I realize I have more work to do to reach my goals and that's great!"  

• tarah

March 18, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Hi Runemist    https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif   you should definitely post some videos so that you can get used to receiving complements and encouragement, and then you can also practice saying "thanks" and feeling good about yourself!!!  there is nothing wrong with humility, it's a very good quality as far as i'm concerned.  how to not get dragged down?  i guess if you have your own standards for yourself, that is more important than trying to live up to others' standards.  as far as pole, the whole point is to have fun and feel good about yourself, and we are all here to support each other 🙂

• poledanceromance

March 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I like to think kind of philosophically. We all have rights insofar as those exercising those rights doesnt injure or threaten others. If you consider being happy, confident, and emotionally secure in one's person to be a right (and I do) then you exercise your right to exude that confidence as long as you're not hurting anyone else with it. On the contrary, you can say that we all make certain emotional commitments to the people closest around us, be that a boss, boyfriend or a spouse or child or best friend; and the best way to be available those around you and ensure you have the emotional fortitude to fulfill those commitments is to take care of yourself first to preserve your ability to do so. This is why I like the show What Not to Wear…they emphasize that good presentation and self-confidence are absolute musts if you want to achieve your goals and engage with those around you. They also emphasize that, if your confidence is not up to par, simply presenting yourself as best you can is a quick way to boost it–you can't help but be confident when you see the positive reactions you get from people just from presenting yourelf well. 

• poledanceromance

March 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I like to think kind of philosophically. We all have rights insofar as those exercising those rights doesnt injure or threaten others. If you consider being happy, confident, and emotionally secure in one's person to be a right (and I do) then you exercise your right to exude that confidence as long as you're not hurting anyone else with it. On the contrary, you can say that we all make certain emotional commitments to the people closest around us, be that a boss, boyfriend or a spouse or child or best friend; and the best way to be available those around you and ensure you have the emotional fortitude to fulfill those commitments is to take care of yourself first to preserve your ability to do so. This is why I like the show What Not to Wear…they emphasize that good presentation and self-confidence are absolute musts if you want to achieve your goals and engage with those around you. They also emphasize that, if your confidence is not up to par, simply presenting yourself as best you can is a quick way to boost it–you can't help but be confident when you see the positive reactions you get from people just from presenting yourelf well. 

• poledanceromance

March 18, 2011 at 11:54 pm

**And I should add, the appropriate response to a genuine complement is a simple smile with eye contact and a confident "thank you!" No need to giggle, look away, or act shy in the face of praise. In fact, some people will think you're stuck up if you react submissively to complements because you are, in effect, rejecting their praise and thus their attempt at building an emotional connection. Besides, there's no pressure in random strangers giving you complements because you might never even see them again; and there's no pressure in people you're close to giving you complements becase, hey, you already knew they liked you or you wouldn't keep them around!

• Runemist34

March 19, 2011 at 12:50 am

Wow, thanks everyone 😉 I appreciate the responses!

UTPoler, I tend to compare myself a LOT to others, and even myself…skills I used to have that I no longer have, due to lack of practice or whatever. I tend to be very harsh with my judgement of myself, while being very kind with judgements to others…and I will admit, it's very uneven. I've been trying to stop for some time, with…well, not too bad results. I still have a ways to go!

Tarah: I'm gonna try posting more! I have to actually record more and dance, though 😉

PDR: Wow, you really hit the nail on the head there, I think. That one really spoke to me. It's very often that I "excuse" myself from the good rules I have toward others, such as not getting down on oneself, or being kind to oneself, or that kind of thing. I'm always (as I said above) kinder to others than myself, so it becomes difficult to really apply those rules to myself without thinking I'm failing. It's a strange kind of catch 22, and if I actually did believe in myself, it would disappear. I try to present myself as best as I can, but often I find my body-image issues  get in the way…clothes aren't often made for someone of my shape, and frequently I feel fat and ugly for it (though I'm sure everyone else disagrees with me!). 

It's reassuring to hear that I am generally on the right track, and it is always helpful for me to hear others' opinions on stuff like this! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• dustbunny

March 19, 2011 at 8:43 am

If your profile picture is any indication, then you are most definitely NOT ugly!  I think you're beautiful…now as poledanceromance suggests, smile and say thankyou, and believe it! 🙂

• Layla Duvay

March 19, 2011 at 10:04 am

I would just like to add that I know what you're going through with the clothes thing. Also, you have a SLAMMIN' body–nice trim waist, shapely behind, pretty legs and a bosom that balances it all nicely! So there.

I was also taught the type of humility you're writing about (is it a Canadian thing, I wonder?) and It's taken me years to get over some of the more toxic aspects of it. There's a line from one of my all-time favourite movies (All About Eve). Addison DeWitt:

"We all come into this world with our little egos equipped with individual horns. If we don't blow them, who else will?"

He follows this up by pointing out that it's just as false not to blow our horns at all as it is too loudly.

I think this sums it up nicely.

@PDR, you are SO damn smart!

• poledanceromance

March 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

Seriously, watch a few episodes of What Not to Wear. Go for straight leg pants and jeans that go from the widest part of your hip straight to the floor. Always go with shirts and dresses that define the smallest part of your waist with a belt, or put belts over things at the smallest part. Always fit the biggest part of you and tailor down; having clothes taken in is actually not expensive. So you might have to go up a size in pants to get a good fit in the thighs or bust and make a few minor adjustments to get that perfect fit. Keep “completer pieces” in your closet like great jackets, vests, and cardigans in fun colors and patterns. Especially for curvy women, a great jacket/blazer is a must because it will define and control your shape; generally If you are curvy you need to look for clothes with a lot of structure. That means darting to define the waist, good seams around the bust, and darts to define the curve of the sides and back. Here is the distinction:

It’s not you that doesn’t fit the clothes. It’s the clothes that don’t fit you. Clothes are designed for the average of women’s sizes and not any one shape in particular. So don’t expect your body to change to fit the clothes. Change the clothes to make the most of your body.

• Layla Duvay

March 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

I LOVE WNTW!!! I actually found a local seamstress who will alter something for me for a decent price. Also, I've fallen in love with Etsy, where I can get awesome clothes custom made. Also, I just bought a couple of dresses, tops and skirts from peachberserk.com (Canadian) where they will custom make pieces for no extra charge AND do it in the colour and print that you want!!!

• keex

March 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I think everyone has nailed it.  There's a difference between confident and cocky.  Confidence balanced with genuine humility means that we recognize our abilities and our progress; while also recognizing our growth potential.  

Try this:

Make a list of 10 QUALITIES YOU LOVE ABOUT YOURSELF.  

Make a list of 10 THINGS YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR POLE DANCING.

Then, print out each list and hang them where you can see them daily; preferably before you start your day.  Repeat them out loud.  

Yep, totally awkward and uncomfortable at first.  But you'll feel your energy shift.  Like the other ladies said, you have to become a fan of (love & appreciate) yourself 1st.  When you can do that, it'll be easier to accept compliments.  You'll feel like you actually deserve them.

And like others suggested, POST VIDEOS OF YOURSELF HERE!  I can't think of a more supportive community!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have struggled with this myself! I don't have much to add….Great advice everyone!  I do however have a dance for this (I know, I know, I always have a dance lol) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif This should be every woman's theme song. 

https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4d3b3ecb-706c-421c-a173-3a570ac37250

Page 1 of 2