StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Crash mat

• Crash mat

Posted by Cassandra pole on March 7, 2015 at 6:04 pm

So I’m shopping for crash mats and am noticing a lot of round mats. My studio uses square ones. Which is better? A round mat or square? The round one I’m looking at is a yoga direct pile crash mat. The square is a Pole O Mat.

Msbrittanydanae8897 replied 9 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • AllysonKendal

March 7, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I have the yoga direct and I love it…

I think its personal preference. For me, at the time, the YD one was cheaper… so that sealed the deal.

Ok, I’ve had a drink, so someone should check my math….

But the YD one has a 5ft diameter (2.5 ft around each part of the pole uniformly)… the PoM is 4×4… (diagonally thats 5.66ft) so some parts are 2ft around the pole in some parts and 2.83 feet at the corners… so shorter in some directions that the other mat and bigger in others.

It’s really what you prefer.

• AllysonKendal

March 7, 2015 at 9:15 pm

It also looks like the PoM one comes in either 2 or 6 inch thickness

YD comes in 2 or 4 or 5. So it really depends on what you need.

I don’t think 2 is enough for me to feel comfortable (but might be for plenty of people, or if you have soft carpet underneath), but I have 4 inch one and honestly I couldn’t imagine having a thicker one, it’ve very cushy and you really sink into it and sometimes that can almost get in the way.

• Phoenix Hunter

March 8, 2015 at 1:04 am

I have the yoga direct mat too and I love it. I got the round mat because I have an x-stage and it fits over the stage part perfectly. my mat is 5inches thick. I’ve never used the square mat but those look really nice too.

• RoMo

March 9, 2015 at 10:12 am

If you want cheaper options, there are some good ones. I got puzzle mats for Judo from a sporting good store. They are 80 cm * 80 cm and 3 cm thick and I bought a package of 6 for about $40. I usually arrange them in two rows of three with the pole in the middle. I cut a hole for my pole with a switch blade knife. They are “stiff”, not cushion-y, but I do feel it does a really good job of minimizing impact. I have fallen numerous times, and, knock wood, have sustained no injuries to date.
    I also like the idea that theoretically, I could stack them on top of each other, if I wanted a thicker mat.

BTW, the studio I go to also uses the puzzle mats. Although they have squares that are 1m*1m. I couldn’t find them that big.

• happystace

March 11, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I was looking at the yoga direct and pole o mat when I was shopping around. In the end, the yoga direct one worked out to be cheaper. I have the 5″ one and am happy with it, but I think the 4″ would have been fine.

• ambience24z9338

March 11, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Wow I always wondered about having a crash mat. Now I want one to 🙂

• Vdub

March 13, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I have the Yoga Direct Pole Dance Crash Mat. It’s 5′. I don’t care for it that much. It’s very thick and bulky so I have a hard time walking on it when preparing to invert for more advanced moves. I’d sell if it someone in Chicago were interested and could pick it up.

• Beccaf87

March 14, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I am trying to decide about crash mats as well. I preparing to start my inverts and tricks again. I wanted to use my thick couch cushions but realized they are all attached so I would only have 1 side of the pole protected. My former studio had a 2″ mat which didn’t seem enough. Thinking of a 4″ or 5″ but not sure if the Pole O’ Mat or Yoga Direct is better.

• Msbrittanydanae8897

March 14, 2015 at 11:52 pm

I have the YD 2″ mat. I really like it. That’s what we use at the studio too. I asked my instructor if I should get a thicker one for home and she instructed me not because of the thickness and softness, it could be bad for your ankles. My 2″ is very easy to walk on and doesn’t interfere with my tricks.