StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Deep pain in hip/butt….

• Deep pain in hip/butt….

Posted by maranda1389 on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 am

For the past few weeks I have had a very deep, tight, achey feeling in my right hip that is pretty unnoticable until I dance or stretch. Even just SITTING in a straddle or butterfly kills my hip/butt, but when I stretch it, the pain gets deeper and sharper. I’ve lost a ton of flexibility since this has been happening too. Overall my legs feel super tight stiff, but when I try to stretch, the pain in my hip prevents any stretching. I’ve taken a break, tried stretching through the pain, warming up, hot baths, and topical stuff. Nothing lessens the pain, and I can’t even sit in a stretch position much less actually stretch. What the heck! :/

KellyKegan replied 11 years, 11 months ago 14 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • BeccaBuck

October 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

is it on just one side? sounds like a pulled hamstring to me. your hamstring attaches at the hip/glute area, and thats a common place to feel pain when you've pulled the muscle. rest, ice, NSAIDs, and slowly start back into very gentle stretching. could take weeks or months to heal. my hamstring pull was very, very minor, and it took a solid 9 weeks. sounds like yours is a more serious pull, and it could take much longer. (i'm just a person on the internet though, always check with your doctor or physical therapist!)

• maranda1389

October 26, 2012 at 11:34 am

It is just on the one side. Its hard to explain the pain, but it’s more in the joint itself rather than muscle pain? It does hurt at all when I’m walking, running, jumping… only when I bend over with straight legs, or stretch. My lower back, same side, just to the side of my spine hurts during stretching and bending as well. Could be unrelated, but thought id mention it. Thanks for the advice!

• aliceBheartless

October 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

Definitely get this checked out!  While I am not sure based on location if your issues are similar to mine, I definitely have dealt with some sharp stabbing pains, deep in the hips. For me, it was brought on by marathon training, and was never an issue while I was doing something (ie running, stretching, dancing), only afterwards. I ignored it, and it got so bad that it was affecting my ability to do my job, (I was no longer able to climb a ladder without stabbing pains, and I was a building inspector, so I climbed a lot of ladders), and it took almost a year to rehab it because I didnt get it checked out in the beginning. It still an issue I carry around today (I ran that marathon  in 2008), though I can keep the pain under control. It ended up being a SI joint issue. Do not wait on getting it checked out, it will likely only cause more pain and trouble if you do. 

• maranda1389

October 26, 2012 at 11:52 am

I’m thinking it could be my sciatic nerve? But the pain is never “searing” or “stabbing” but more a very deep, ache that when stretched can become slightly sharp feeling. Everything else I read about sciatic sounds spot on besides the “type” of pain. Also a note, anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers have no effect. Does anyone think a chiropractor would be a good route?

• aliceBheartless

October 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I used Chiropractic to ease the pain and get my sacrum realigned (it was rotating), and that was great as far as treatment of symptoms because I could get relief that way. I was only able to control and keep the pain from coming back with physical therapy exercises, which basically amounted to psoas stretching and core conditioning to get my self balanced out. 

I would think that the sharp pain might be considered stabbing? If you can, really do try to get it checked out. Because once you know whats wrong you can start rehabbing it.

• maranda1389

October 26, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, I called and found a chiropractor but I have to get a referral from my primary doctor, so it’ll be about 2 weeks till I can get in 🙁

• aliceBheartless

October 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Well here's hoping that it won't be a big deal! fingers crossed! 

• MaliciousMynx

October 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I would try to use a foam roller to get all the pain/knots out until you can get an appointment with the doctor. I use a nubby foam roller called "Rumble Roller" and it does wonders. It looks really scary and intimidating. Looks like an s&m sexual torture device haha. It's painful at first but then it becomes a good pain when you get used to it.  I got mine from Amazon. Pricey but worth every penny.  Good luck and keep us updated. 

• Dancing Paws

October 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I had some side hip pain on my right side and low back (deep) pain on my left. Stretching has been the only thing that helped me. Glut strengthening was actually the trigger for the pain for me.

• GiedreB

October 27, 2012 at 3:26 am

I'm dealing with the same thing now. It's that annoying feeling that the pain is not actually in the muscle but inside the hip joint, isn't it? I couldn't bend over to touch my head to my knees because of the pain. But I forced myself to stretch and it's getting better. It's been a month and a half now, I'm trying to be patient 🙂 Like you said, it doesn't hurt when I walk or run, or anything. And I've lost tons of flexibility on my left side 🙁

• Vdub

October 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I had the same pain for about 9 months before I finally found relief.  Chiro and stretching only worked temporarily.  Foam rolling was a bit better, but the pain would inevitably return.  What really worked for me was pilates.  I found a great instructor who explained to me that my glutes were weak and my hip flexors were too tight.  After working with her for 3 sessions, the pain went away and hasn't returned.  Now I can do my stretching and anything else without pain.  Look up piriformis syndrome on wikipedia and you may get an idea of the muscles you need to strengthen and/or stretch to get rid of the pain.  Pilates is rather pricey for the refomer sessions so now I do group reformer which isn't as expenseive.  I also do matt classes.  Good luck!

• valerie98

October 28, 2012 at 7:52 am

Wow!! I have the same pain on the same side. I found foam rolling and stretching helps a little. I also think I have restless leg syndrome. I’m wondering if this is somehow connected to the pain.

• valerie98

October 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

This could also be a trigger point. Foam rolling is great for that.

• OzarkSiren

October 28, 2012 at 9:34 am

I got that hip joint pain in my rt hip last week when the weather turned cold here. Went from 78 to 30 overnight. Woke up with it : ( Walking and stretching seemed to help. I do think mine is weather related. It is better today. Going to go see the Chiro for an adjustment just in case.

• MelCat

October 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

It sounds like the piriformis to me, that’s where it is located and its stretches like the butterfly that help you actually stretch it. Stretch it and also you might want to check that your pelvis is in alignment so that nothing is pulling it as well. But some simple stretches to hold for a long time that can help are crossing your legs with that one in front, relax forward and then walk your hands to the side away from it, keeping that hip on the ground. Also pidgeon stretch helps, the closer you can get the front leg to a right angle the deeper it will stretch it. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2