StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Do your children pole too?

• Do your children pole too?

Posted by PeggyRose on November 4, 2012 at 6:25 am

Hello!

I’m at university and in one of my modules (physical development and movement in children) we have been asked to do our assignment on whatever we want relating to the module. I’ve chosen..the benefits of pole fitness for young children.
    I’m finding it difficult to find academic literature on the topic – not much surprise there! But I’m using literature on adults and translating it to children and hopefully using studioveena’s video of her family (just asked permission).
    What I am after from this community is some opinions of what benefits it has for your children (any age, but please do say ages)? Has their fitness level improved? Is obesity an issue that has been overcome? Fine/gross motor skills? Confidence, self- esteem, emotional well being? etc. Anything you may want to say.

Thank you in advance.
    Xxx

Storypole17 replied 11 years, 8 months ago 19 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • CapFeb

November 4, 2012 at 10:48 am

Is the study exclusive to pole, or the aerial arts in general?

• zoeyxxx

November 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I’ve heard of young children doing silks and hoop. But never pole. But saying that. I taught my gf little brother the basics he does dance so worked great for his strenth in arms he’s 11 xx

• Mitzy Blue

November 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I came across Justice Hailey (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-Hailey/252720064764239) a while back. You may be able to get some information from her and her site.

I'm happy to say that I've gotten my young sister addicted to poling- she recently turned 9. She had been having issues with being overweight and a general lack of interest in physical activities but now she is no longer so overweight, she does a lot of strength and flexibility training so that she can work on new moves when she visits, and she seems much happier than she used to. She she visits we watch new videos and if there is a move she would like to learn or start working towards she points it out  and I start her on what strength exercises she can do and what she can do to practice. Currently she is working on learning a hand-stand and my younger brother works with her at home and then she comes and practices with the pole when she visits. (I am glad my brother has been helping! I cannot do a handstand for the life of me currently and he is much much more athletic.)

• JhennD

November 5, 2012 at 12:35 am

Best of luck! Would love to hear results on your findings.
    I do not interact directly with youth, or know of those who do; that are pole interactive.

• Lyme Lyte

November 5, 2012 at 1:03 am

You should talk with Veena on this.  All four of her boys were introduced to pole at a young age.  And she has some great video with them as they have grown.  None of her kids are heavy either.  Maybe you could even show some of her clips.  I remember the video she made with her kids, "Red Lobster" and it was fabulous!

• PeggyRose

November 5, 2012 at 2:35 am

I’m not doing a study on it, more just researching and creating an argument. There have been studios that have started classes for children (I’ve heard of one in Canada and one in the uk).
    I’m using the red lobster video in the assignment, as it was this video that sparked my interest in the subject 2 years ago. I will have to have a look for any more videos and maybe try to contact veena herself about it.
    Mitzy blue, thank you, I’m glad your sister is feeling better and has found an exercise she enjoys (I felt the same way until I found pole)
    Xxx

• Molly Rosedale

November 5, 2012 at 7:18 am

I have a 5 yr old son and can’t keep him off my pole so I started showing him some basics. He even just likes to climb it and he’s building core strength. I think it even helps with bonding because it’s something we both enjoy doing and he gets excited for me when I master moves. I’d love to see him progress.

• chemgoddess1

November 5, 2012 at 7:30 am

I would say that any studies that apply to gymnastics would cross over to pole.  I know there have been quite a few articles written in magazines lately.  I would also suggest contacting Matt from Jasmine Dragons in Ohio.  He can give you first hand knowledge of what aerial arts (pole, lyra, silks) ahve done for kids as probably 90% of his students are 15 and under. 

In your searches don't just look for "pole" look for circus arts.

• chumpchkin

November 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

My little brother (who will be 8 in December) climbs my pole ALL the time. He can get all the way to the top! He thinks it's the coolest thing in the world, and is very strong for his age, I'd say.

• monica kay

November 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I believe that encouraging young people to persue their interests despite social obstacles such as gender stereotypes and conformatism supports a healthy sense of self and confidence that will carry over into adulthood. Fitness is fitness- anything to get youths off the couch and away from mcdonalds, and get them moving is good. tutting, crunking, poling, meditative walking- get that heart pumping!

• firebird

November 6, 2012 at 5:51 am

Bless u for a great topic to gather info on and document!!! And a FUN one at that! Oh and I could go on and on here as this is definitely a matter that automatically brings a smile to my face (as well as my kids’ and husband’s and mother’s and mother-in-law’s and… faces)… But my story starts out similar to the one above who mentions her 5 year old son that she can’t keep off the pole… I would say little boys in general (of which I am raising 2! Currently 7.5 & 9.5 yrs), but really I believe it goes beyond to include ALL children, as even my little 1.5 yo niece is SUPER intrigued by it and always wants to touch it and hold herself on it & can’t stop laughing w/joy when (we help her) climbing it! Ok so here’s what I think you’ll find (same that I and so many of my students w/kids, namely if they do own a pole at home): this all just goes back to our “monkey instincts”, that’s all it is — and also, consider that what is exhilarating and fun for you & I, likely is also for children. Maybe even moreso for them! They don’t care what they can/not do, don’t care abt how flexible they are/not, if they look good or know a lot or are strong or weak, or blah blah blah… This is just a section of “monkey bars” as far as they are concerned, and they simply want to hop on it and PLAY! As is what many consider the “work of children”, since they are naturally drawn to PLAY, and rightfully by design learn & develop so much THROUGH PLAY… And how much more FUN when an adult who is important to them (parent, sibling, aunt, etc) ALSO gets lots of enjoyment out of playing in the same way!

So that premise set, yes, my 2 monkeys — ah-hem, sons — spin, climb, invert, even do static holds, etc. On the pole… And have built the foundations and coordination (& I guess strength, but not sure I can credit that to the pole exclusively) to do so over the last 2.5 years that I’ve had this fun “toy” installed in my home (or travelling w/us when we’ve spent extended periods away). It’s definitely quality time I can spend together that, gosh, especially my younger son can’t get enough of!!! And I can go pretty hard for pretty long! He really does amaze me in particular because of his strength and passion for the pole, and it helps that he’s already by nature a rather fearless & tireless creature, that LOVES being upside down, and also happens to have a really good sense of where his body is in space, & just good physical instincts, per se (also happens to be — probably no surprises after summing all this up — the more athletic of my two kids).

Ok I really want to wrap this up bc I feel like maybe this is all more than you care to know… BUT if my little guy knew I were writing this, he’d definitely want me to share the following w/u:
    — he can climb GREAT and do an inverted crucifix, gemini, scorpio, chopper, AERIAL INVERT (yes, really), front & back hook spins, and any variety of “inside-planted foot” based spins
    — oh can also hand- or forearm-stand into pole (actually this is really not so exciting since well before a pole entered his world, he could already do a free-standing headstand — and yes, I know developmentally this is not ideal for him to be doing, but this crazy child figured it out on his own one day, and since then, try and stop him… Ayayay, at some point I have to trust in Mother Nature…)
    — he LOVES when pole is in spin mode
    — things he wants to learn or work on more: butterfly, side climb & side (knee) holds, electric switch, probably much more I can’t think of right now…
    — shoulder mount: we’ve tried this, and interesting discovery… So he definitely has the (namely core) STRENGTH to pull this off, HOWEVER, the 1 or 2x we tried this (of course me holding/spotting him), he started crying so bad bc it REALLY hurt him — and sure enough it seemed to get really bright red around his clavicle bone area. Needless to say I was mortified, and told him NO more of that until he is way older (and hopefully less scrawny, more bulky & able to withstand that pressure, and also NOT be at such an early stage in his physical development)…
    — he & I have even started working pn “doubles tricks”, like spins & holds (haha, mostly results in an EXTRA workout on mama who more often than not has to support most/all of his weight while attempting these!)
    — he loves bragging about ALL of this, and loves that there are all these moves w/all these interesting-sounding names (resonate w/anyone?)…
    — he makes a “pole” out of anything around, at school, anywhere around town, my mother’s banister… Again, it’s all a game for him, and the PLAY never ends… ah, to be a child…

Hence the smiles… 🙂

• Eden Body

November 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

My 4 year old daughter loves to pole with me. I don't do really sexy stuff on the pole when I'm sharing it with her. My husband is fine with it but does not allow her to wear mommy's pole shoes (she likes to try them on) because they're too grown up and he also doesn't want her to hurt herself in them. The first time my daughter jumped on the pole she did some wicked moves….my jaw dropped. She did some kind of backward spinny thing and a V carousel amongst other things. The whole while she kept giggling and saying "I'm so happy I'm so happy" "Mommy watch me". The next day her arms were a bit sore. Well after a few more days of playing around on the pole she had swim class and got a little award for being able to swim from one side of the pool to the next by herself (this is the adult sized pool at the YMCA). I believe her pole play strengthened her.

• PeggyRose

November 8, 2012 at 6:50 am

Thank you all.
    Firebird – wow, thank you for taking the time to type all that! Yeah, one of the things I’m going to say is that young children like to play most often than not and that many p.e lessons are focused too much on specific things and telling children what to do and what they should be doing (even so much as how to hold something properly) rather than self-expression and play. Allowing children to use a pole as part of play, self-expression and exercise isn’t like that. Yes, they may decide they want to learn a specific thing, but I’ve found pole is very personal. Some people go round one way, some the other, left hand, right hand, speed, ways of getting up off the floor etc.. With very young children they can use the pole to help them walk. Left and right handed-ness shouldn’t be pushed at such a young age and being given a bat to hold in a certain hand in a certain way in p.e lessons isn’t good and with pole they can approach it with either hand and with both hands equally.

Anyone else? Xxx

• gbugs77

November 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Hi PeggyRose,

My grandaughter poles!  She just turned two.  Everytime she comes to visit, she wants to go     "weeee".   Thats her expression since about age 1. She just walks around saying weee.  It's her idea of great fun.  One  day her mom and I were sitting around watching her do her pole spin/walk and she requested her shoes off.  Well, she climbed the pole like a little monkey and nobody taught her to do that. I have a video on my page of her doing this, check it out.  I think that for a almost 2 year old to climb like that takes great balance and agility.  She's pretty strong too.  I've also noticed she can do more coordinated kicks and walks in her beginning gymnastics class than others with more classes than her at that age.  I just hope my body lets me do pole for a while more so she can grow up more and actually learn some moves and tricks from me! 🙂

• ginger78

November 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

My daughter is now 18 and started poling with my when she was barely 16.  I asked permission from my instructor due to the fact that their policy is normally 18 and over.  My daughter did not have a strong view of herself and was always complaining.  "Im too short, my belly is too big, etc."  The usual teenager style complaints that you normally get. 

My daughter found her strength and self esteem in these classes.  The ladies in my class enjoy her being there and she has learned alot.  My daughter is now playing water polo in college and does not get a chance to pole as often but I do see a change in the way she carries herself.  I believe the support of a great instructor and the fun we had together in class made a major difference.  "Go Baby Buns!"  The instructor's call of incouragement when she popped of her first invert without a struggle.  It all depends on the child. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Page 1 of 2