StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Draw a Blank when it comes to Freestyle

• Draw a Blank when it comes to Freestyle

Posted by dmorningstar7195 on March 6, 2016 at 1:41 am

Can anyone give me some tips on Freestyle. When I try to Freestyle my mind goes blank and I cant think of any moves and then to put sexiness in it…forget about it…lol Help

bformosa922163 replied 8 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • LatinPoler

March 6, 2016 at 1:54 am

Choose songs that you really like and feel. Plan a little. I mean, decide upfront what key tricks/spins you want to use, then glue them with transitions like step around, pirouettes, body waves, etc. Also use poses like squat or goodness to rest and think what to do next. Also, dance frequently, practice combos (Veena has many for different levels) and watch other people’s videos. Sometimes, I found myself kind of copying a move I had seen in a video and not formally taught.

• dmorningstar7195

March 6, 2016 at 1:58 am

Thanks I will try your ideas

• Runemist34

March 6, 2016 at 6:16 am

A really good thing I like to work on, when I can dance, is combos. Just like when people are learning to play Jazz, they learn sequences of sounds, pick ones they like, and then when it comes to freestyle, they can draw from them. It gives a really good basis of understanding, a nice place to come from, and a way to accurately understand what kind of mood or feeling you want to put into the song.
    Such with dancing, too. If you have a lot of combos to draw on, then you really only have to pick a few, and work within them. If you have some that you really like, you can always work on slowing them down, or speeding up in other parts. You can string them together, or change up the order of things once in a while. It gives you a place to start.

• dustbunny

March 7, 2016 at 12:13 am

I like to teach freaking a couple of ways. First off start small, aim to dance continuously for 30 seconds. When that becomes easy move to 60 seconds, then 90, etc. Secondly, especially when you are just starting out pick a few simple moves or a simple combo like Rune suggested. Walk, half spin, pirouette, change direction. And if you can’t think of anything else you can always just do that over and over.
    I always say that my only freestyle rule is that you can’t stop moving. It doesn’t matter what happens, you can’t stop until the time is up! Start with small blocks of time, the more you do this the easier it will become and the more you will be able to challenge yourself. Once you are a little more comfortable and you are working with longer blocks of time you can begin to challenge yourself with small specific goals. Maybe a new move, or something more vague like a challenge to work in both directions, or to use more vertical space (ei. Floor work, standing work and aerial work).
    You can do this! Just like everything else, it just takes practice.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 7, 2016 at 5:26 pm

The more you do it the easier it becomes! As mentioned start with a small string of movements until it becomes natural. Try using the combos in the routine and combo section. Each time you have a pole session do a bit of freestyling too, even if it feels forced or awkward keep at it. Recording yourself can be helpful too! Also pick music you know really well 💜

This video is for creating routines but it could help you with freestyling as well 5 tips for creating a routine https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/52f8463f-3884-4318-b2fd-2d1c0a9aa0eb

• bformosa922163

March 7, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Practising things like body rolls, isolated hip movements and isolated core can really help when wanting to do freestyle. They are my go to moves when I feel like doing something sexy. Try to keep it simple. Maybe in your warmup, Practise the body rolls etc.