StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Dry skin and poling

• Jag5303

January 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

I use grapeseed oil to moisturizer my skin. Once it’s absorbed it doesn’t leave your skin oily, like every other lotion/ moisturizer. Just put it on before bed, then by morning it’s completely soaked in. And it’s natural. I use corn Huskers right before a session for extra tackiness if I need it. Hope that helps.

• Mary Ellyn

January 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

Interesting article on Livestrong…and very interesting when they say that coconut oil is a non-comedogenic when every other list I see says it has a high rating. Even another article on Livestrong states it's a high rating:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/147704-list-of-pore-clogging-ingredients/

It does say that everyone reacts differently…which we mentioned earlier. Just like the use of different grip products work differently on everyone.

However from what I'm reading it seems that coconut oil is not a desirable moisturizer for most skin types.

Interesting that grape seed oil has a relatively low comedogenic rating.

• nymphdancer

January 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

interesting on the grape seed oil…I'm always looking for something that lasts more then a few hours. While I like that I can pole pretty much right after using Pole Physics I don't like that within a short time I'm ashy again when I'm paying that much for lotion. I've only used the coconut oil twice (I use it in the shower) mostly for nice feeling skin for going out.

• Dancing Paws

January 21, 2012 at 11:26 am

Empy – CeraVe might be really good for you. It has ceramide, fatty acid esters, and cholesterol in it. I think the cream is a little more moisturizing than the lotion (I have both.) Here is the FAQ page: http://cerave.com/cerave-support/faq/. I will note that it isn't cheap, although it is cheaper than pole physics as I recall. I think I paid about $15 for the cream and a little less for the lotion. Not much more expensive than bath and body works I guess, but you get a much better lotion.

• Dancing Paws

January 21, 2012 at 11:29 am

Sorry, that was also geared toward Nymph! Try CeraVe. My dermatologist told me to use it since I am using crazy acne products that dry out my poor face. It won't clog pores. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• Vdub

January 21, 2012 at 11:37 am

I tried coconut oil and found that it just sits on my skin so I think Empyrean is right in that it's not a good moisturizer.  I was getting a pedicure yesterday and asked the lady about the dry skin on my feet.  She said to oil them before going to bed at night.  When I told her that I'd tried coconut oil she said it doesn't work because the molecules (or something like that) are too big and can't be absorbed through the skin.  She told me to try olive oil instead, which I put on last night for the first time before bed (I also wore socks).  When I woke up, the skin on my feet wasn't as dry so maybe it absorbed properly?  I plan to keep doing it because she said I'd notice a huge difference in about 4 days.  She said you can also use it on your body.

Spoke to someone else about my dry skin at the apothecary pharmacy near my house and she swears by Ahava products.  She said to use the dead sea clay on really dry patches, sit in a tub of the dead sea salts and then moisturize with the Ahava lotion.  I tried it last night before using the olive oil…..my dry skin is driving me crazy and I'm determined to moisten things up a bit (actually, a lot!). 

For poling, I use corn huskers and have found that it makes my body more likely to stick to the pole.

Otherwise, I heard that drinking a lot of water (which I do) and adding coconut oil to your diet  helps alot.  You might also want to try increasing your EFAs in your diet.

• nymphdancer

January 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

tried it years ago as with most things it only works for an hour or so….then back to flakey and ashy.

• chemgoddess1

January 21, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Empy, there is so much conflicting information about coconut oil it is not funny. I do not use it as much on my skin as I used to. One of the fatty chains in it is antibacterial or antimicrobial and it aids in healing abrasions and such. There is a really good book out about the benefits of coconut oil that I got from the library. My internet is down at home so it is really hard for me to search and link from my phone. It is called Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife.

For those that are using coconut oil, Swanson Vitamins has been the best price I have found.

• PaulettePoles

January 22, 2012 at 5:56 am

Ive bene using coconut oil for years in my diet and just recently started applying to my skin as well after reading teh article in Pole Spin magazine.

I also pop my popcorn w coconut poli- fantastic!

Here is a  link to the benefits of coconut oil: 

rhttp://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html es

and a link to the coconut oil research center

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/Coconut%20Research-Coconut%20Research%20Center.pdf 

For me, it absorbs well and doesnt leave me greasy- but like you said, everyone is different

• Mary Ellyn

January 22, 2012 at 11:20 am

I'm very curious about using it for popcorn…it doesn't actually give it a coconut flavor does it???

Page 3 of 3