StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Ebay Corsets >_>

• Ebay Corsets >_>

Posted by Runemist34 on August 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hey Girls!
    So… I've got a thing for corsets. I love them a lot. However, I have to buy steel boned because my waist to hip ratio is so dramatic, any plastic bones bend into my back- it hurts a lot!

So… I'm sort of considering buying some corsets from Ebay? I've found several that say that they are steel boned, and are really resonably priced!

I want to know if anyone has tried it. I'm very wary of using Ebay, but… it's also very tempting, because I would love to have a few corsets I could use for fun!

And yes, I realize, not exactly pole related… but… I need help 😛

DreamStarr replied 12 years ago 8 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • luvlee

August 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I use Ebay all the time. I am a buyer and seller. It uses Pay Pal which is backed up. If the product is not what the discription says, you can contact Pay Pal and do a dispute, but most sellers will work with you. Contact the seller if you have any concerns. I love Ebay.

• Trixie Kicks

August 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I’m also an avid eBay user. It is a risk buying anything there. Luckily, if something is not as described and the seller won’t work with you, you can file a dispute with PayPal. Message the seller and ask a question. Any question. Make something up if you don’t have one. I find you can find out a lot about a seller in whether and how they answer a question.

• Mitzy Blue

August 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Hmmm…. well to be honest steel boned corsets probably should be bought strait from a maker and custom to fit you or you could have issues that are painful. Unless you know your measurments spot on and have been fitted before I really would reccomend working with a maker first. I've been making corsets for years and I can't even begin to tell you how many people wear their first corset upside-down unknowingly (which can be rather painful!)

I've also seen people lable some woven steel boned bustiers as "corsets" on ebay though for a "reasonable price" and nothing is more infuriating than that. keep an eye on what TYPE of metal boning it is and do a thourogh search on reviews of their corsets.

There are a few corset makers that I know of who I have worked with in the past and can reccomend If you would like and a few of them are really reasonably priced for corset makers. Though keep in mind a corset SHOULD be about $150 or more being as the boning alone costs about $50 and then the materials  for all three layers can end up being about $75-$100 not including grommets or the cords needed to lace up the corset. If the person isn't charging for their time or they got the wire/fabric at a wholesale price then it can be on the lower side of the price scale (I tend to do that for practice sometimes)  A good maker will take their time to make it and remember- they have to pay bills with their earnings and this is their job. It takes me about 10ish hours to make one corset (being as every corset is redrafted to specifically fit the person it is made for aka drafting a new pattern, cutting it out sewing it, ect.)- so carging for my time and nice materials would make well made corset an average of at LEAST $150 to $250 on the low scale. Just keep this in mind when looking at corsets.

So- If it's some $20 bundle- it's not a corset.

🙂 That would be my two cents on the matter anyhow. I've seen people ripped of before- and I've seen people by "bad" corsets which just makes me all sorts of sad. Good luck with your possible corset purchase! Corsets are amazing. <3

• glitterqueen

August 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Stormcat – do you have a website? I'd love to see some of your work 🙂

• Mitzy Blue

August 26, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Aw, haven't had a website for a couple of years now glitterqueen 🙂 sorry. I closed down due to a rather bad injury and some…. personal issues a few years back and haven't gotten back into the swing. Still occasionally poke at my machine but due to having issues with my hand I can't work like I used to and it takes me too long to fill an order to really pay the bills anymore so it's…. kind of just a hobby now. (actually why I started poling. my doctor told me I'd never be able to use this hand again and well…. my typing is ok, I can even grip a jar to open it, sometimes small "pinch" movements are no good but I want to show that not only can I use that hand but I can "depend" on it.) I do know a fair bit about corsets/sewing/ect. though and I can always point people to corset makers that I trust. (that and I didn't always make my own in the beginning. I purchased from someone and fell in love. Deconstructed it when it started to fall apart and then started making my own.)

• Runemist34

August 27, 2012 at 3:50 am

Stormcat, if I COULD afford a properly made and fitted corset, I don't think I would be here!

Given that I'm looking at Ebay, rather than the thousands of corset makers online, let alone in my area, I think that would be an unfortunate but clear indication that I haven't the money.

Aside from that, I'm not really interested in "A Proper Corset" in the way that most people assume that I am- I hate the idea of tightlacing, and am looking for something that will give me the look of a corset, but has something stronger than the crappy plastic boning one gets from most lingere stores.

I am pretty clear with my own measurements, I know what I'm looking for.

I appreciate your input.

• Katrea

August 27, 2012 at 4:59 am

Being a corset maker, I agree with stormcat.
    You will get what you pay for off eBay and there’s no way to tell what sort of steel boning is used. I use spiral steels almost everywhere except around the lacing where I use flat steels. The few steel corsets I’ve seen on eBay don’t specify and while a corset made entierly with flat steels is fine, it’s not my first choice as i find it tends to really curve in around the waist where as the spirals curve nicely around my already hourglass figure.
    A well made corset will last. The few corsets I did by off eBay when i was younger were poor thin materials, and the boning in them was plastic and did mould to my body and bow badly very quickly and they never fitted well to begin with.
    An off the rack corset is rarely going to fit very well unless you happen to have a perfect off the rack sized body, which most of us don’t.
    There are sites which sell corsets for around $100 like these guys:
    http://timeless-trends.com/
    But to be honest, knowing what good materials cost I’m wary of even buying from them as my materials alone cost me $70+ depemding on fabric quality and style etc.

My suggestion, save up a little and buy a slightly better one from a site as apposed to a $25 eBay one and it will last you ten times longer and they often come with a guarantee.

• Mitzy Blue

August 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm

🙂 Well good luck with your "corset" then https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bc83d286-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12 sorry to have mis-spoken on what seens to be a sensitive topic. I'm sure your bustier will look very lovely.

• TansyRae

August 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

As another corset maker I’m not going to repeat what the other two ladies have already said….but you might have more luck looking on Corset Story than on eBay. As far as online purchases go – eBay and PayPal are very secure…I buy and sell a few times a year with no problems. Also – If you have a Citi Bank credit card they can provide you with a one time use “ghost” card number for online shopping so you’re not even using your real card number.

• TansyRae

August 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm

As another corset maker I’m not going to repeat what the other two ladies have already said….but you might have more luck looking on Corset Story than on eBay. As far as online purchases go – eBay and PayPal are very secure…I buy and sell a few times a year with no problems. Also – If you have a Citi Bank credit card they can provide you with a one time use “ghost” card number for online shopping so you’re not even using your real card number.

• Runemist34

August 28, 2012 at 2:29 am

Well, thank you for telling me about that Corset Story place- it looks promising. Unfortunately I don't have Citi Bank, but that's an interesting feature for their credit cards!

And, since you three ARE corset makers, and seem quite adamant that I must be silly to be looking on Ebay, what would you recommend for me, other than Corset story?

I hadn't really laid out my requirements or reasons of interest for wanting a corset, nor did I speak of my current financial situation, since I didn't think it was necessary.

But, since you're all interested: I can afford something about $100 or less (since I'm in University, and am attemtping to save up for a trip to Iceland), and I've been thinking that, since I do not EVER want to tightlace any corset on my person, I didn't need something that was overly strong. My intentions for corsets would be more for fasion, since I enjoy the look of them, and costuming, rather than an actual undergarment, or something worn frequently.

There are very many corset makers, and people that I know who know people who make corsets, in my area, and if I could afford something around $250, I would certainly jump for something custom made, especially since I have a very curvy figure and a shorter torso. But, alas, I have not had that kind of cash to throw around for a very, very long time.

That is why I was looking on Ebay. That's why I figured I would just throw the question out there, and see what people thought about buying things there- I've never trusted it.
    So, what would YOU recommend for me?

• TansyRae

August 28, 2012 at 7:19 am

To avoid a lengthy post I think my best advice is to do what YOU want….I don’t think anyone was insinuating that getting a custom made corset would be your only or even best option based on many considerations. Budget often being the big one. Having a custom corset is definitely a luxury and perhaps it is on your list of “some day when I can afford it” dreams. I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of finances – I stay at home with our 3 kids, my husband took a 30% pay CUT and his ex wife managed to get her child support raised so its not even in our budget to buy materials for me to make my own corsets if I wanted to. I’m collecting old prom dresses from yard sales to make my girls mermaids for Halloween but is actually been a fun hunt….anyways I’m getting off topic…

Not all corsets are designed to be “tight laced” and while there are a few people who go to that extreme most of us don’t – as there are the obvious health dangers involved. You always hear the stories on how uncomfortable corsets are, how restrictive, how this how that…bad bad bad but in my experience those come from corsets that are not properly fitted. I can wear mine all day and be more comfortable in them than I am in a bra. I’m not saying a pre-made corset can not fit well since there are so many styles and different options available but it really can be trial and error – especially with internet shopping. Check the return policies and their measurement guides. Normally corsets are bought small to accommodate a modest 2-3 inch reduction…for example if you are a 34″ bust – order a 30″. But there are some companies that take that into account already so be sure to double check what they recommended based on your measurements. It depends on what style you are looking for but you mentioned being short waisted- some of the “long line” corsets that are designed to extend over the hips might be too long…..If in doubt shoot an email to the customer service department for some guidance and if you don’t like their response or don’t feel comfortable with them its simple – don’t do businesses with them.

I think what we were all trying to say is that if you could, a custom corset would really be the way to go….too many times we have seen people try to save a bit of money up front by ordering something then wishing they had just waited it out and paid the extra for a custom. We all know what joy a proper corset can be and would hate to see anyone soured on that from a bad experience.

In a nut shell it sounds like you know what you want and are willing to do your home work. Keep in mind that a lot of cheap costume corsets made of plastic will be popping up near Halloween- not that there is anything wrong with those. (I have one and although its not as supportive and well fitted as my others it served its purpose to have feathers and sequins stuck to it as part of a costume)

Above all,like I said to begin with, be happy with whatever choice you make.

• DreamStarr

August 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Spurst.com
    Thefashioncorsetshop.com
    Hipsandcurves.com (plus size)

Just a couple of places on the web ive ran into with different types of corsets, sizes, styles, boning, price, etc….

• Runemist34

August 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm

TansyRae and rdgcleveland:

I https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif you. Thank you!

• TansyRae

August 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm

🙂

Sorry to get a bit long winded in my post….forgot to mention Etsy. It is like eBay but for all hand made items (you won’t find computer parts or potato chips shaped like the Virgin Mary like you do on EBay)

Regarding eBay safety – always shop sellers with high ratings and positive feedback. PayPal is very secure and to take it one step further use a credit card not a debit card or bank account information. That way in the highly UNLIKELY event your card information gets compromised you have the protection of your bank’s fraud policies. When I get a minute I’ll try to message you some more sites that might be helpful or at least provide some corset eye candy…..and all this corset talk is making me stare longingly at my patterns and fabric stash…..*sigh*

Good Luck and lets us know how you get on!

Page 1 of 2