StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Excessive Bruising??

• Excessive Bruising??

Posted by maranda1389 on September 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Is it normal to have 20-30 bruises on each leg? Most are small bruises, but some are farely large. My legs are seriously just COVERED in bruises. It looks disgusting. I apply arnica gel daily, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm just so dang sore and bruised, it's really awkward going out in public because EVERYONE stares, and even asks, why I have so many bruises. Do you guys bruise this much?

OzarkSiren replied 12 years ago 14 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • adAstra

September 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I just set up my pole and I bruise easily, so I think it's because I'm a beginner. How long have you been poling? Maybe your body will get used to the pole at some point 🙂 Good luck!

• maranda1389

September 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I have been exotic dancing/pole dancing for a year and a half, so I think my body should be accustom to it by now :/

• CapFeb

September 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

some people just bruise easy. Mine stopped showing up after I had to take a break. For abouta month.

• CapFeb

September 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

some people just bruise easy. Mine stopped showing up after I had to take a break. For abouta month.

• Paunobs

September 8, 2012 at 2:21 am

Yep, I am covered in bruises even after 2 years of it! I bruise easily!:-)

• Paunobs

September 8, 2012 at 2:21 am

Yep, I am covered in bruises even after 2 years of it! I bruise easily!:-)

• Paunobs

September 8, 2012 at 2:22 am

They ard out badges of honor!:-)

• reenie aka Mysfit

September 8, 2012 at 3:22 am

Hmmm….bruising is part of the poling gig, but you shouldn't really be bruising like that after this long. What stands out in your post is that you are stating they are sore. Personally, if you were my student, I would recommend you head in to the doctor to have it checked out—to be on the safe side. It is likely nothing…..but excessive, easy or painful brusing can be signs of an underlying condition. A simple blood panel can detect things like, anemia, diabetes, clotting disorders…vitamin/mineral deficiencies etc…

I have one student who I actually sent in for bloodwork for this type of thing…It turned out she is anemic…..

Since she has adapted her dietary intake to ensure she is eating better and getting the necessary iron….the bruising had slowed considerably.

Our health is most important.

• megan12

September 8, 2012 at 8:02 am

I bruise awfully. But I'm incredibly fair skinned, so it shows up very easily. I've been poling for almost seven months now and if I have a serious session, I can end up looking like a battered woman the next day 😛  It doesn't particularly bother me and I get regular check-ups at the doctor, so I'm not really interested in doing all sorts of testing for some sort of coagulopathy. If I do, oh well, I've lived twenty-seven years like this. Haha!

But certain things you eat can cause your blood to be thinner and subsequently bruise more easily. Alcohol, NSAIDS like Motrin and Aleve, garlic even. So maybe take a look at that side of things and see if you can modify anything.

• Jag5303

September 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

I’ve been doing pole for over a year and still bruise pretty bad! I’ve been to the docs and had ALL kinds of bloodwork done… Still no answers! Some people say it can be from lack strength/ technique/ control…. But even with old basic moves that I know I’ve mastered… I bruise, so I’ve just come to accept that I’m an easy bruiser. :(. Now with new moves, sure I bruise,too, but I think that’s to be expected.

• PlatinumAni

September 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

While I still bruise occasionally it is nothing like when I started. Not even close and I have always been an easy bruiser.

• Saphyre

September 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

Aside from what everyone else said for underlying causes, here's what I found to be helpful in the healing process:

1) Avoid NSAIDS like mkalis mentioned

2) Continue to use your Arnica. Make sure you use it several times a day.

3) Include Vitamin D cream

4) Get some packets of Emergence-C. You add it to water and drink it.

I bruise very easily as well. I had horrid bruises for the first 8 months, then my skin became more conditioned. However, since I am learning new moves there are new areas that are getting bruised! It's just part of the pole journey!

• Baudelaire

September 9, 2012 at 1:29 am

I also bruise really easily, “like a peach” I’m told lol!
    I increased my zinc intake which seemed to work (meant to aid with healing). If I’ve had an intensive practice I will also ice my legs when I get home and apply lots of arnica in the first few hours. This seems to lessen the severity to just a faint mark rather than a full on purple splotch.

• gillygirl

September 9, 2012 at 3:26 am

To add another underlying cause – For anyone that is a bad asthmatic (i.e. takes steroid medication daily), one of the side effects of this is bruising extremely easily, and I suffered badly from this the first 12 months. I will second that icing and arnica help with the bruising!

After speaking to someone trained in Eastern Medicine, they suggested taking Calcium with D3, and this did help a couple of the girls who had no other reason for bruising a lot. 

Theory: As calcium is important in cell membrane integrity, if you do not have enough your capillaries can become slightly more brittle. D3 helps your body absorb the calcium. Also, trying to improve your circulation will aid this. 

Hope this helps! x

• michaelaarghh

September 9, 2012 at 3:26 am

I really agree with what https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/bcb3b578-d89d-11df-ab19-12313b090e12  has said. 

I think it's better to go to a doctor, get some bloodwork done and from there work out whether it's a dietary issue or not. I would really not recommend just taking different vitamins unless you know you are actually deficient in them, because you can have too much of vitamins. 

Page 1 of 2