StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Fan legs…is this a flexibility problem?

• Fan legs…is this a flexibility problem?

Posted by EagleSpirit on February 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Whenever I do fan legs, my knees are bent and I just can't get them to stay straight no matter how I try, so my fan legs look sloppy and unimpressive. Is this a flexibility issue? I definately don't have flexibility in my hamstrings and still can't touch my toes. I'm working on it by stretching more, but is this why I can't straighten my legs in this move? Or am I doing something else wrong?

EagleSpirit replied 13 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Runemist34

February 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Hey Eagle,

I was having issues with this move for a long while! I totally don't have flexibility in my hamstrings, so I feel ya there! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

Are your hips in front of the pole? That was my issue. So, when you step into your move, stick your hips forward, so your upper body is wrapped around the pole (shoulders behind, hips in front) and then lift. Your hips should be on the same side of the pole as your legs, in other words. This allows you to properly engage your muscles for the lifting action!

Good luck!

• pole fittie

February 21, 2011 at 6:23 am

work on keeping your legs low and your 'fan' small so that you can concentrate on keeping the legs straight, make sure when you extend your inside leg first that it goes out straight, don't worry about getting it too high…that will come later. 🙂

this move requires ab and quad strength as well as flexiblility, so work on that and your splits training!

ps. make sure you lift yourself and maintain that strong position to help the lower half out!!! 🙂

• hookedonpole

February 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm

eaglespirit, thanks for this question, I have same problem and will take notes of the suggestions 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    February 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Yes it can be a flexibility issue also you need adequate strength. So keep it low like Puma Suggested as you work on your hamstring flexibility and strengthen the Abominals, Iliopsoas (hip flexor) and quads (front of thigh). Part of the reason its a beginner move to me is that it can be a good strength builder.

For those of you taking the lessons here are some that focus on these muscle groups.

The switch https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/92459dec-b908-11df-856f-001b214581be

Pole Leg Lifts https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/b63926be-b882-11df-856f-001b214581be

• Tara

February 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Same problem, here.  I found this out while doing the floor prance (sexy legs) on the floor.  My instructor reminds us to straighten our legs to get the full effect of the exercise, and that is when I discovered that my legs felt tight, like there was a rubber-band not permitting me to straighten my legs.  I have been working on stretching, mainly my hamstrings, and I think this should help.

• EagleSpirit

February 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and suggestions. And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one!

Yep, I learned the hard way to keep my hips in front of the pole and my body close to the pole. I had a huge bruise on my hip when I was behind and too far away; I banged hard into the pole during the move! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif That was one of my most painful bruises that I've experienced so far. Ouch!

I'll work on keeping my fan low, as many of you suggested.  It didn't even occur to me to try to do baby-steps with this move. I'm bad with learning: I try to do it exactly like it's taught and, when I have trouble, I don't think of ways to slowly build up to that move.

So, low and straight…that's what I'll work on next time I pole. Thanks again!