StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Felix Cane – Floorwork and Flexibility

• Felix Cane – Floorwork and Flexibility

Posted by Dancing Paws on March 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

So, I'm thinking I want some Felix DVD's. I am considering just getting the floorwork & possibly flexibility ones. Does the flexibility one have any more info than Alethea's DVD's? Is there more floorwork and transitions on the her pole moves one that I haven't already learned here on Veena?

Also, with her pole moves DVD's is everything she does covered here on Veena or by emotioncatcher on youtube, or is there other stuff I could learn from the DVD's?

I guess I have the same question with Jamila's and the BeSpun series. I don't want to spend a ton of money to end up getting stuff I could just learn here…

XxMyztikxX replied 12 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Runemist34

March 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Hmm…

I don't know about Alethea's DVD's, though I have heard quite a few really good reviews. I've not had the money to give them a try!
    I do, however, have all of Felix's DVDs! Her stretching one is VERY thorough, goes through like a million different stretches… it's a good one to follow along with, and there are stretches for pretty much every part of the body, and she also has more or less advanced ones, in case what she's doing isn't for you.

Her floorwork and transitions one is… good. I enjoyed the floor work part, and I found the rest informative, though not something I can use quite yet (for climbing and how to use various heights to make an interesting routine). I suppose it was more like an informative thing for me, than something I would follow along with. Some of her floor work is actually really good stuff, and new to me, so that might be worth a look.

Otherwise, I have the first two of Jamilla's DVD's, and they're both very good. I refer back to them very often! There is a lot of very good audio instruction, you can see her clearly, and she's very clear to explain safety tips, as well. My DVD's are just for beginners/intermediate, though, so you probably wouldn't find them very riveting 😉

• Dancing Paws

March 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Do you have Veena's lessons? If so, do the DVD's contain different material? I'm not into purchasing something if I can already get it here, ya know?

• Runemist34

March 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Makes sense 😉

I used to have Veena's lessons, before all the flexibility awesomeness (that'll probably be my next purchase… more Veena lessons!). From what I can see, they are comparable, but not quite the same. Felix has a LOT of different stretches. I'm pretty sure you can stretch from her DVD for like, 50 minutes or an hour or something? It's crazy. Like a whole day's worth of exercise for me, just in stretching!

Veena's are good, too, though! So I think it depends on what's the better option for YOU, like money, preference with teaching, etc. If you like Veena's style, I'd say go with her, but if you want some crazy amount of stretching, and want to try something new, then go with Felix! (Also, I'd say you could probably re-sell the Felix DVD's if you're finding them not to your liking!)

• RoseMay

March 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

With the Bespun series do you mean the Leigh Ann ones or the one with Amy Guion that is about conditioning, foam rolling and flexibility?

• Dancing Paws

March 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I meant LeighAnn, although Amy's would be an option for me as well. I'm looking for added flexibility and floorwork moves that are not in Veena's lessons. I feel like my floorwork has stagnated. I need more moves. I am also super stiff, so I need LOTS of good stretches.

• cupcake11

March 8, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I think Veena's lessons are a MUST!  She explains everything so thoroughly…for me, she is my main teacher.  Sometimes I just don't "get" something and I search other sources…looking for the "a-ha" word or phrase that makes me "get" a move, but Veena is the master ; ). 

I have two of Felix's dvd's and I just ordered two more (impatiently waiting for them and bootyclap).  I LOVE Felix's style–she is like no other!  I have been using her basic dvd to really polish some moves and stylize them.  The way she uses that outside leg (mostly) for momentum…once you "get " that, every spin will be so much more beautiful and elegant.  The way she steps into every spin/pose mentally prepares you to make every spin/pose your best. 

I was surprised how much was on Felix's floorwork dvd, because – Hello!- she's always flying up and down the pole, multi-tricking (is that a word?…I'm thinking if not, it should be!) And it did have many tips for choreography, performing, and body placement/image polishing, but if you want PURE floorwork, I would consider holding out for Alethea's floorwork dvd that's supposed to be out in May/June of this year.

• RoseMay

March 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm

If you have Veenas lessons you don't need the dvds from Leigh Ann. There are no new moves in there. Also the combos aren't that good. E.g. you probably already thought of doing a spin and a floormove together..

The style of dancing that they teach is very sexy and she uses the word: "stripper move" quite frequently https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif In the warm-up section are some floor moves that aren't covered by Veena though.

The Bendability Collection isn't that good either compared to Veenas lessons https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif In the foam rolling and injury prevention dvd are a lot less exercises than in Veenas conditioning lessons. About the stretching one I already wrote here:

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/4f499133-faf4-4295-b6a1-32d00ac37250

The strength dvd is better and I used it several times.

Hope this helps 🙂

And thanks for starting this thread, I've been thinking about buying Felix dvds as well 🙂

• cupcake11

March 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

@ Rosemay, thanks for the comparison of Veena to Be Spun – I have been considering purchasing them, but now I'm thinking I'll pass.

• poledanceromance

March 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I’d just also like to add that the cost of most of these DVDs is roughly equal to the cost of an ENTIRE YEAR of Veena’s lessons, and there’s far more content in the lessons here than it would be physically possible to put on a DVD. If you’re looking for dvd’s to get insights into the movement and training of the “pros,” I think that’s a good investment. But if you’re thinking the pole celeb DVDs will teach you the actual mechanics of pole dance, you’re far better off putting the same amount of money into veena’s lessons and getting a much more comprehensive education.

From veena’s lessons I learned to:

Structure a pole workout with a warmup and cooldown based on what I want to accomplish in the pole work that day.

Build up to a harder move I want to achieve with conditioning and other pole moves that reinforce the skills involved in the harder move.

Break down the movements in a move or combo I want to get down and then explain that to someone else in a way that makes sense.

Structure my “trajectory,” picking new moves to learn based on what strengths and skills I have.

These are just a few of the benefits that come to mind-on the whole, Veena’s lessons do more than teaching moves, they teach you how to STUDY pole. No DVD or set of DVDs will be able to do that.

• poledanceromance

March 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm

And again I want to emphasize that I do believe each of these DVD sets has their benefits, particularly with regard to studying the style and movements of a particular pole artist. But no set of DVDs can outdo what veena’s lessons do in terms of teaching a beginner the basic skills and training techniques that will give that beginner the tools to eventually teach themselves or potentially others down the line.

• Dancing Paws

March 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I'm not looking to replace Veena's lessons with DVDs. I'm more looking for DVDs that would add to the content of Veena's lessons (mostly flexibility, transitions, and floorwork. Maybe a few pole tricks that aren't covered here as well, but I'm not as concerned about that as there are plenty of resources for me to use online.) I'm not really looking into stylizing either as I feel I already have a style. I'm just super stiff and low on floorwork and transitions.

RoseMay – Thanks for the input. I will cross BeSpun off my list then. I may get Felix's flexibility and pole moves DVD's still, then Alethea's when she comes out with the floor work one.

• Dottie Von Boone

March 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm

My Felix DVD arrived yesterday! I plan on starting tomorrow. I did preview it, the warm-up is a watch and do what I do.

When she gets into the stretches she begins explaining and even shows easy and difficult variations of the stretch!

I can’t wait to get started and track my progress.

• horsecrazy12987

March 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I really need to consider picking up these DVDs when I have some extra money. I could really, REALLY use some good flexibility training. 

• poledanceromance

March 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

Sensualscmitar- that’s actually an example of what I meant. You’re looking at an area of pole (floorwork) where you want to improve and using the DVDs to study how the pros approach floorwork and then applying that to your own training. In other words, taking something about their pole style and using that to inspire and refine what you do. I hope you didn’t think my post was directed right at you, we just see a lot of these posts asking about DVDs from people who aren’t taking veena’s lessons and who think the DVD will serve as primary instruction. That’s what I wanted to address.

• XxMyztikxX

March 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

I have both aletheas and flexes. and yes u can def get the same benifets from just using veenas stretches bc her stretches really have helped me. But yes felixes is different than aletheas. I like having both.