StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Fitness Instructors???

• Mary Ellyn

March 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

It is not required in the US to be certified in anything to teach anything. Some gyms require it for hire, some insurance companies give better rates if you're certified but you can teach pole, pilates, yoga without a certification.

The question is what do you need and what is relevant to what you teach?

I have my RN and was a nurse for 21 years including ER/Trauma, Trauma recovery, ortho and ICU – none of that prepared me to teach pole dancing but it did add to my  knowledge base.

I believe that pole instructors need to be dedicated to continuing education no matter who you are or what your background is. No one can possibly BE everything and DO everything perfectly. We network, share knowledge, cross-train, etc. Everything you learn, is going to enhance your teaching abilities.

Personally I feel group fitness certification is most efficient for pole dance instruction as it's about dealing with teaching within a group setting – however, CPTs are also highly skilled and understand the biomechanics of training. A&P classes are great…all knowledge is good…but biomechanics and kineseology takes it further.

A good pole program may include all you need without requiring group or personal training certification as a pre-requisite. However, some programs require it to keep their prices down and to streamline their courses since so many people already have this certification, why force them to re-learn and pay for  including this same knowledge in their pole certification?  That's why my7 program requires it as a prerequisite.

However, someone who doesn't have group or CPT may look into a more in-depth program which will include those aspects of the group cert within the pole program. Many good  programs are extremely thorough and incorporate all you need for those who are starting with nothing but pole dance experience.

• tatpoleny

July 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I have a bachelor of science degree in Helath, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, a health fitness concentration, and a dance minor.  I have studied and taught gymnastics, and various forms of dance.  As a physical educator, my degree is my "group fitness" certification; coupled with my17 years experience in teaching physical education and 30 years of experience in gymnastics and dance, the transition to learning and teaching pole was an easy one.  However, my business partner, our instructors, and I recently took an awesome, thorough Pole Dance Instructor Certification course that is ACE approved and PFA sanctioned.  Not only does certification add credibility, but with my degree and extensive experience, even I learned great things during the course that will help improve my instruction.  If you are interested in a faboulous pole instructor certification course that won't cost you an arm and leg, check out Discoveries Pole Dance Instructor Certification (tell Angel Tammy sent you!).  If you are already ACE or AFFA certified, earn CEU's!

• revolve

July 29, 2011 at 5:33 am

Revolve Fitness International has introduced Level 2 Gym Instructor Courses, the Next Generation Fitness Instructor Qualification in association with its partner Paramount Fitness. This Level 2 Gym Instructor Course is online, fully interaction and having 3D animations.

Page 2 of 2