StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Flexibility – pipe dream? Help!

• Flexibility – pipe dream? Help!

Posted by Polecat88 on March 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I'm getting really frustrated with my flexibility. It seems that I just don't make progress whether I do an hour of ashtanga yoga every day or I do nothing I stay the same. I've read Bob Cooley's book and tried his techniques and got maybe another inch over two months using his techniques then BAM brick wall in progress.

I just dont know what else to do, I don't want to force the stretches because my knees are weak and I dont want to put TOO much pressure on them. 

I used to stretch for 15 mins to half an hour after every pole session but it just seemed to do nothing. I have no access to a flex class atm either. 

Should I try splits in six weeks? Please please help! 

Love to all x

Polecat88 replied 13 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Sair

March 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Heya 🙂 Don't lose heart!!!!

Give splits in 6 weeks a try for sure!

i'm not naturally that flexy either but have noticed a HUGE difference in the two weeks that i've been doing those splits stretches!

almost to the floor!

You'll get there 🙂 Just keep trying

• EvaRut

March 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Try to stretch everyday or every other day. Also you could try stretching for longer. 30 – 60 minutes. It takes time

When I was stretching for the splits I stretcehd for 30 – 90 minutes at a time almost every day. It can take take a long time to increase flexibility.

• Briannabohannah

March 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I have little to no flexibilty, I've never even been able to touch my toes…ever.  I've started the six weeks to splits and today is day seven.  I've already seen a big improvement in my flexibility.  I'm not much closer to the floor but I am within inches of touching the floor during a toe touch and while I'm not much closer to the floor in my splits I am able to square my hips better in a lot of the stretches and the split stretch is starting to feel more comfortable.  I'm going to be posting new pictures tomorrow as I start week two and I'm also following the progress in my blog http://www.lapolegurl.blogspot.com

The thing that I've been hearing over and over again and it seems to be truth is that you have to find time to stretch every single day.  Every other day or every three days just doesn't cut it.  I tried the six weeks to splits thing and it fell off last time after the second week and I wasn't doing a very good job and doing it every day…hence absolutely no success in any way, not even the toe touch.  You muscles have to be taught, and unfortunately for people without natural flexibility we will have to continute to stretch every single day after we achieve the splits just to maintain.

• Runemist34

March 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I used to think that I would never improve, but I asked my physiotherapist about it…particularly the hamstrings, because mine have always been very tight.

He said: Put your foot up on something that isn't too high (like, the tallest would be the seat of a chair) and lean forward from your hips till you feel a stretch. If you need to, keep leaning forward so that you continue to feel that stretch. Hold it for 30 seconds, switch legs, and you're done.

Very simple, very easy, you can do it in the shower (which I do) and I've shown a massive improvement! I can touch the ground with my hands when my feet are at shoulder width apart! I've NEVER been able to do this before.

So, my though: Keep it simple. You don't need books or yoga or splits in 6 weeks (which, I maintain, sounds very dangerous to me), just listen to your body and stretch. Do it once a day, because that's when I found the most improvement. You don't need to kill yourself trying to stretch, just do it nicely.

Yes, I've been frustrated with the fact that I can't seem to get any splits right now…but it's for different issues. My hips seem a little…weird.

And yes, I tried yoga, I tried resistance stretching, and I got nowhere. This worked, it's safe, comes from a health practitioner, and I recommended it highly. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• PoleKitten87

March 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I lack flexibility quite badly. I've never been able to touch my toes, have done 1 (accidental) split in my life – when I was 10, and backbends were out of the question. Wish I had stayed in gymnastics as a kid, but my parents took me out after a month or so. Maybe it would have helped.

I HATE stretching. Hate hate hate hate it. It seems like everyone else is getting somewhere, and I never am. I spent a year taking pole lessons 2-4x a week, never saw improvement.

I did do the first 2 weeks of Splits in 6 weeks and noticed some progress, though I missed 1-2 nights before life was too busy and I fell off it. My sad splits still haven't reverted back to how they were before (still off the ground 3" or so), which is surprising.

I DID, however, notice that doing the stretch Runemist posted about helped me gain some flexibility/loose my hamstrings. When I started doing them I couldn't reach my toes on either foot when it was resting on the couch and I stretched into it. Then after a couple days I could reach my toes easier and easier each time I did the stretches. So I too would recommend that one.

I also stretched for a week or so by standing against the wall and having my husband pick my leg up for me. By the end of the week I could rest my "good side" leg on his shoulder (he's 6ft tall). That was further up than I'd ever gotten it. I'd gotten the idea from my mom, who said when she was in gym class in the 70s, they had to do splits like that against the wall. The partner would lift their leg and eventually the person would be able to hold their own leg up in a split while against the wall. That worked for me also but again I fell off doing it.

I think I'll try and get back on those last 2 stretches, as they are the two I saw a good bit of progress in and don't take too long to do each night. I work full time and go to school 4 nights a week so its hard for me to find the energy or time to stretch!

• pink bubbles

March 30, 2011 at 1:38 am

Hi!

I know how you feel! I started pole dancing in October after 10 years of not doig any sports, I was extremely frustrated with my flexibility too and felt hat all the stretching I did didn't make a difference, but it actually does!

I read on a contortion website that you have to stretch everyday and that if you miss a day, it might take you an extra week to get to your goal. Basically, you might not see results day to day, I know I plateaued for months with straddle splits and then one day I could put my elbows on the floor.

I understand that you don't necessarily have the time to attend a stretching class, what you can do is stretch when you're watching a movie, when you're lying in your bed before you go to sleep. Try the split in six weeks program too, even if you don't get your splits in six weaks, the stretches are good and a lot of people here seem to have huge progress with this program!

Hope that helps!

• Polecat88

March 30, 2011 at 5:07 am

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm a little confused now as to whether to stretch every day or every other day! But I guess it's just whatever works for you imparticular.

The main message I'm taking from all your replies is DONT GIVE UP! Haha. Which is probably the boot in the deriere I needed tbh!

Starting today I will try my best to follow the six weeks programme to the letter (exams and dissertation dedlines withstanding) and see if I can get my BF to take photos to track my progress.

Thank you ladies for once again saving me with your words of wisdom! =)

Love love x

• Leeannpole

March 30, 2011 at 5:16 am

I stretch every other day for about a hour, also a good warm up first help IE aerobics get your muscles warmed up before stretching, stretching cold muscles can cause injury. Its took me years to increase my flex and I'm still not at a level that i would like to be but iv took on stretching as part of a weekly work out even if I'm not getting far with it i carry on.

I think it can be quite boring stretching especially if you feel your not making progress its easy to give up, i try to stretch in different ways with different music to make it less boring just keep working on it and you will see progress even if its only smallhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Polecat88

March 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Hi all,

I just did my first six week stretch sesh after a jog and i’m already having a problem!
    When i go into jazz splits my knee feels really under pressure (I’m knock kneed) and it’s making me hold off a little on the stretch, would a knee support helo with this?

• Cherished

March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Maybe try yoga blocks. Here's an example of how it might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79v9ZL70mKg

• pink bubbles

April 1, 2011 at 12:54 am

Yoga blocks are great!!! I only just learned to use them and seriously, they help a lot with my splits.

Another thing you can do is maybe put a rolled towel under your knee, I know I have terrible knees and some exercices like deep lunges and pulling your back foot towards you really hurts my knees, I usually use a towel or a thin cushion/pillow under the knee that's on the floor.

Otherwise, I know that when I started stretching after a long time of not doing anything, my hamstrings and everything else was soooo tight that I felt some pressure in the back of my left (my bad side) knee too. Matbe with time it'll feel better..

Hope that helps!

• Polecat88

April 1, 2011 at 2:11 am

Many thanks for the advice =) I improvised blocks today with some tins from the kitchen and got muuuch lower. 

=) x