StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Foam roller hard on my arms/shoulders

• Foam roller hard on my arms/shoulders

Posted by Saeth on December 8, 2014 at 7:09 am

I don’t know what it is with me and the foam roller but I find most of the moves really physically challenging. This is mostly because it requires a lot of upper body strength and the pressure through my wrists and shoulders. I also find it challenging to do the rolls in one fluid motion on some of the movements, like the calves. My butt seems to get in the way or something lol but it’s very hard on my upper body.

I love the effects after but today I’ve noticed my arms and shoulders feel “twingy”. What should I do? Is this an adjustment period? I’ve tried using yoga blocks which helps a bit to give me a bit of height but doesn’t ease the pressure. I’m also thinking about introducing a full on warm up to see if that helps but it’s another thing to add to the list. I have noticed in pole dancing that if anything is going to ache, it’ll be the areas I’m having problems with on the roller. It seems to take quite a lot to warm these up and I’ve learnt from the 30 day challenge I am not that strong considering I’ve been poling for 5 months. I also use a PC a lot. I roll for 10 seconds then move on.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Stefana of Light replied 9 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

Rolling can feel like a workout in its self when just starting!! I remember thinking how tired and awkward I felt the first few times. If rolling doesn’t work right now, you can also just stop and “sit” or “rest” on any spot that feels tight, just the pressure on the knot can help release the muscle. 🙂

I’m not sure what you mean by twingy, but foam rolling shouldn’t cause any issues or damage when do properly, even when not done totally right it’s generally pretty safe. I warm up isn’t necessary but you might find it less intense on the muscles if you warm up first. I think in the descriptions or one of the lessons I mention coming up onto fists if the wrists bother you. Also be sure you are not sinking down into the shoulders when you hold the body up. You are holding your body weight so it can take time to build up stamina so keep at it. The yoga blocks are a find idea if they help but also make sure to not sink down into the shoulders while holding.

• Saeth

December 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm

You aren’t kidding about it being a workout lol First few times that I done it I just flopped on the floor after and wondered whose bright idea was to inflict this torture upon myself!

Twingy just means not a constant ache but short slightly sharp pangs of pain that pass in seconds. My wrists and shoulders feel quite sore around the joints. I think what it is my upper body strength is so poor that I’m not supporting myself fully so my shoulders, arms and hands are experiencing a lot of pressure. I do watch my posture, my shoulders, core and spine and I don’t see any sinking or scrunching etc. I suspect also the muscles and tendons are very tight from a lot of PC work so the angle at the wrist is also acting as a stretch. I did try the fist thing but it didn’t make much difference. I’m just a weakling! I’m going to half the amount of rolls I’m doing and try to do more resting in the positions. Regardless anyway I think my arms had been feeling a little sore the last few weeks. It could be the cold that has kicked in and it takes a lot more for those muscles to be limber. I had problems with the muscles in my forearm going tight the last few lessons.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm

If you use a computer for long periods of time make sure to take breaks! Try doing some of the conditioning for forearms and hands during your break from typing. End with a few stretches for the hands and forearms. 🙂

• I polekat I

December 9, 2014 at 4:19 am

yes i’ve noticed this in some positions especially when my legs are really crunchy – it feels like the leg needs more rolling but the wrists are taking too much strain to keep going! ive found what helps me do my quads /inner thighs/itab is to put a pillow or cushion down and lie down or prop myself on my forearms – much less painful on the wrists and shoulders. only problem is it doesnt really work for the hamstrings at the back but at least then your arms are only taking the strain for part of your rolling =) hope this helps a bit!!

• Stefana of Light

December 9, 2014 at 12:09 pm

So sometimes when I’m feeling fatigued or have a sore wrist etc I use one of my other tools so I’m not holding my bodyweight up. The one is a hot and cold ball for feet, is use it everywhere I typically don’t roll in it I roll it on me… Sitting comfortably, my fav is the pectorals oh gol so good. Even just letting its own pressure roll on top of the thigh is quite delightful!! And those tiny spots in the wrist and forearms;) the other is a fondant rolling pin.. I use it mainly on my upper legs , Handheld for me is nice when I don’t feel like having the workout that can come with a nice rolling session. Hope this helps a little:) … I know the rolling pin looks a tiny but deceiving hah!! Dancers and there accessories.

• Tamarinda

December 9, 2014 at 12:32 pm

If my muscles are really warm it’s less painful. I also like rumble rollers. If a particular area is giving me problems I rest on that spot for a good bit and I don’t have to always hold my weight because rumble rollers have ridges on them that push more into the muscle. For example, doing hamstrings I can relax on my back or forearms and rest in that position for a good bit and I can slowly rotate my leg around on a sore spot and let the ridges massage it. It can be a lot of stamina to foam roll especially if working for a bit on a good knot. Foam rolling is hard cuz you have the pain you’re trying to roll out and then you have to keep your body strong to hold the positions while keeping the area you’re rolling out relaxed… It’s definaltey a challenge so give yourself time to adjust and don’t give up 🙂

• I polekat I

December 10, 2014 at 3:13 am

love those ideas shoog!! and im hopefully getting a rumble roller for xmas hehe so excited!! =) do you have the standard blue or hardcore black one tamarinda?

• Saeth

December 10, 2014 at 6:00 am

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Tamarind: Yes, using the roller definitely takes a lot of stamina and I don’t have much of that right now! I did think about getting the rumble but it was more money for me and some said it can be a bit intense for newbies. I might invest in one at a later point in 2015. I do however have a spiky massage ball that I love and it takes less effort.

Shoog; That little fondant roller sounds like a great idea. Is it plastic?

Polecat, I’ll definitely try the pillow and use my forearms more when I can, that’s easier for me and will toughen them up a bit for elbow stands also. I’ve taken a two day break and will try again tomorrow. I do find the process very rewarding and relaxing so I don’t want to give up 😀

• Tamarinda

December 10, 2014 at 7:25 am

Polekat I decided to get the black one because it is a bit pricey and I didn’t want to buy it twice so I decided to go ahead and break myself into the black one. It’s great on my hamstrings cuz I can’t feel anything with a regular one anymore but the black oh yes I can. That thing isn’t going anywhere near my IT bands though full pressure. I rest on the opposite leg with my foot on the ground for that one cuz it is major ouch. It’s great though for everything else. Hopefully one day I can make these IT bands stop hurting so much.

• Stefana of Light

December 10, 2014 at 8:25 am

Yes it is and they are like 8$ online probably the same at a craft store 😉