StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Foot Cramps

• Foot Cramps

Posted by danceinside22 on March 25, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Hi everyone!

I have a weird problem- my foot cramps ALL THE TIME! But it only when I’m poling, and I don’t think its a lack of nutrients because I’m generally a very healthy eater. I have a feeling that its because (especially lately) I’ve been trying to keep my toes pointing. Do you think thats what it is? Its the only thing I can really think of. Now hear is the real question…is the normal?? i don’t have a dance background so I’ve never really pointed my toes before. Are my feet muscles just weak? And is there anything I can do to strengthen them so my "point endurance" builds up? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Thanks for any advice you have!

Lula Geddes replied 9 years, 9 months ago 18 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Gsylass

March 25, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I get that too, I just assumed it’s either a salt imbalance or possibly cos I wear heels all day at work, so I’d be interested to know the answer to your questions too!

• Mindy4pole

March 26, 2010 at 6:01 am

I have worked a lot on being on my toes (I walk around that way at home whenever I think about it!) And yeah, I’ve had the problems with cramps too. Mine don’t tend to be in the foot itself, but rather in the calves. I don’t get the cramps when I’m actually working out much, but they happen when I’m sleeping. When it starts happening, I take a Magnesium supplement, and that seems to help.

I would guess that since your cramps are happening during the workout, it is probably just a muscle fatigue thing. One thing that really helps the foot muscles is to roll your foot over a small ball (like a golf ball). It will probably hurt some if the muscles are grumpy, but it will help stretch the muscles and keep them in good shape. Try the magnesium, too. It may or may not help, but it’s not likely to hurt you.

Be patient! You’ll get the foot/leg strength before you know it! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Mindy

• Solya

March 26, 2010 at 10:25 am

I’ve had a problem with foot cramps for years now. I don’t think it has anything to do with whether you have a background in pointy-toed sports https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif I did competitive acrobatics for 6 years and my feet still cramp if I point my toes now. It’s probably a nutrient deficiency.

When your foot cramps, make sure you stand on it – putting pressure on the foot relieves the cramp.

• SissyBuns

March 26, 2010 at 11:58 am

My feet cramp up all the time too so I’m waiting for an answer to this question. LOL

I usually like to wear heels so that I don’t have to point my toe as hard to make it pretty. I have other foot issues as well that may be causing it, but I recently had surgery on my left foot and it still cramps up. Hopefully after I start physical therapy it will get better.

• Runemist34

March 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Walking in heels, or generally keeping your toes pointed, can result in shortening the calf muscle, so please make sure you stretch it out really well! I’ve never been that used to heeled shoes, so I can get away with a little bit of punishment…but seriously, ladies, be careful!
    That said, I often get cramps when my feet get too cold (this was a major issue for a while, it hurt like crazy!), or yes, when I pointed them a lot. I love pointing my toes at random, seeing how far I can get, looking pretty…you know, the usual! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif So, I’d say that when you get a cramp, maybe take a little pause, work the muscles out, flex your foot and massage whichever muscle is giving you a hard time. You’re training a new way of moving, so be patient! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rambo.gif

• LittleC

March 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I have this problem too and it sucks! A good tip that I was taught is to "fake" point your toes. Instead of the normal point, move your foot so that the heel is pulling towards the back of your calf. Voila! The effect of a toe point, without the crampy pain. I love a fake point. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cat.gif

• SadiraSimone

March 27, 2010 at 5:30 am

I think Runemist is right. Make sure to stretch out your calves well. And many times foot pain and cramping can be resolved my massaging the muscles of the calves. I work with a lot of people who have plantar fasciitis (as a massage therapist) and they are often surprised to find that their pain is related to tightness and trigger points in their calves.
    That is a different affliction of course, but yes when the toes are pointed the gastrocnemius potion of the calves is contracted and shortened, and like with any muscle that gets overused during the course of our day it can become knotted and tightened over time.
    If you can massage the calves first, making sure to give some gentle attention to the achilles tendon that attaches those muscles to the heel of the foot, you can then stretch by pulling your toes up toward your knees. This will engage the other calf muscle – the soleus (a deeper muscle)
    Think about this: Every muscle has a muscle that does the opposite action – so if you engage the soleus (which is the deeper muscle that flexes your foot toward the knee), then the gastrocnemius can rest and stretch out from a contracted state and it will also of course stretch your foot in the opposite direction.

With that said there are also tiny muscles within the foot and a tendonous sheet of fascia that can become overworked as well and the golfball massage that Mindy4pole suggested is perfect for that! A nice warm foot soak is always nice too. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif (Runemist my feet cramp up in the cold too – ouch!)

I didn’t intend to get all technical on you – but I hope that helps some https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_bounce.gif !!

• salsadancerhelen

December 4, 2014 at 6:26 pm

My suggestion is: drink about 2 glasses of water. I think your just dehydrated! I use to get foot and leg cramps at night, since I never drink enough. When the cramping happens I drink two glasses of water, this is the only way that I don’t wake up several additional times with more cramping. Walking it off only worked for so long and then I’d wake up with more painful cramps. It may sound silly, but it cures it every single time for me. Hope this help!

• Phoenix Hunter

December 4, 2014 at 11:19 pm

my feet used to cramp from pointing my toes. for me, my muscles were just weak and my foot was not used to doing this. foot strengthening, stretching, and consistently pointing my toes helped it get better. i would have to not point as hard so that my feet would not cramp until my feet became stronger. now I point my toes all the time, in the shower, bath, in bed, sitting, dancing, stretching, you name it. do veena’s feet exercises and stretches. there are also foot exercises for ballet dancers on youtube. I think working on leg extensions like veena’s leg routine helped me tremendously.oh ! and foam rolling my calves, shins, and front of my feet….

• Lucca Valentine

December 5, 2014 at 2:01 am

It may be weak muscles and all of what the other girls said. But! In the mean time you might try keeping a bottle of quinine/tonic water with you. Quinine is a natural muscle relaxer and pretty fast acting so if you get a glare up or feel your on the way to one, drink tonic water till it goes away 🙂 some people drink it daily as just like a preventative medicine, but it sounds like your situation may he temporary

• Rose2011

December 6, 2014 at 8:26 am

I have this problem too. I.hope I can explain this well. I went to an Alethea Austin workshop, we were working on stretching. She asked it anyone got foot cramps while pointing toes. There were a.few including me. She said gave us an exercise and it has helped me. She had us slowly roll/wave our foot into pointing but when get to your toes roll 1 toe at a time into pointing until whole foot is pointed. Then roll toes 1.at a time back up and into flex foot . It is to built up articulation in your feet. Lol It takes alot of consentration for me to move 1 toe at a time lime that. Lol

• Freddie

December 6, 2014 at 8:47 am

Along the lines of what Rose said….pick up marbles or legos with your toes. Try taking steps and laying one toe down at a time in both directions (big toe first then pinkie toe). I struggle with foot cramps big time. I’m looking to get a wooden foot roller too. I want a wider foot for balancing on.

• Genbob

December 6, 2014 at 9:26 am

Has any one else with claw/hammer toes managed to get a nice point? Mine cramp like hell and even at my most ‘pointed’ they look like they have barely moved.

• Sarah Brace

December 6, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I have the nasty campy pains sometimes in my feet too! Earlier this year I spent a lot of time working on the little muscles in my feet to gain flexibility, articulation & strength for ballet en pointe. I began with feet that were barely in a straight line from the knees to the tips of my toes when I was pointing them. They just looked horrible!
    The harder I tried to point them & get that darned ankle as flat as possible, they would just cramp up & hurt like a bitch!
    To get them stronger I worked on them gently at first, circling the ankles either direction, first with flex toes then pointed, calf raises on a stair so the calves got a good stretch in the lowered position.
    There’s a foot exercise called ‘doming’ which is great, I think Veena has it in her foot strength lesson, you basically start with the foot flat on the floor & try & shorten it by lifting the arch & ball off the floor while keeping the toes nice & straight.
    All of this really helped me, but I got impatient with the shape of my point & used a foot stretcher device, which was a pain in the bum to use, took ages to work on each foot making sure they were worked equally, plus I never felt safe using it as it seemed a bit too easy to overdo it & cause damage.

When I want a good stretch to the ankle for a nice point, I sit on my feet & shins in a kneeling position on a soft surface like my bed, it’s really easy to do without causing any damage, you put as much or as little weight on the ankles as you feel you need.
    Sorry for the essay, hope this is of some help!

• Slkysmth

December 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I have a gal I’m teaching who is a physical therapist. She gave me a superball to roll my feet on. It’s like a foam roller for your feet! It’s a hurts so good feeling, but it is seeming to help. I get the worst cramps in my toes, feet, and calves. A golf ball works too. You can also roll your foot on a frozen water bottle. 😉

Page 1 of 2