StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Free hand, what do you do?

• Free hand, what do you do?

Posted by Runemist34 on May 13, 2011 at 12:11 am

Hey everyone!

Soo…havin' this problem. I know I don't post any videos, so you'll have to take it on faith, but unfortunately I have a "dinosaur arm" problem! As in, my free hand, when I'm walking around the pole or doing anything one-handed, ends up looking…bad. You know, you tuck it into yourself, but you bend your elbow so that your hand sticks out, just in case you need it? It doesn't look very good 😛

So, I'm wondering…what do I do with it?! If I stick it out, then it's so far away, and if I need it, it has that much farther to travel! And, if I keep it down, it's just…not nice looking?

What do you with your free hands, when you're not doing amazing inversions?

Runemist34 replied 13 years, 4 months ago 9 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • phoenix kazree

May 13, 2011 at 1:24 am

Play with your hair, caress your body, put it on your hip, wrap it around your back.

Play around in the mirror. Learn to make it dance. 

• chemgoddess1

May 13, 2011 at 7:15 am

Agggghhh.  There was a thread on this a little while back and I thought it was started by Mommabear but I cannot find it!

• MommaBear

May 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

Yup, I was wondering about how to deal with this awhile back.  My arms felt like they were just dangling and flopping around akwardly.  My hands were either clenched-up or it looked like I was throwing up gang signs or possibly having muscle spasms.

For me, it turned out that just being aware of it was Step One.  Then, making an effort to create pretty, soft lines and movement was Step Two.  Step Three was taping practices to make sure it wasn't as forced, akward and disasterous as it felt; and for the first few times, it was just that.  But, after awhile it just seems to fall in place like all of the other new moves done over time.  

Once your aware, make an effort to change it, it becomes more automatic (like remembering to point your toes, at first it's constantly on your mind, but after awhile, you become so accustomed to it, it becomes more automatic and natural).  Pretty arms and hands work along the same principle I think.

Another thing that helped me was to watch some vids of Karol and Alethea and focusing solely on their arm and hand movements and positioning. 

• Veena

Administrator
    May 13, 2011 at 9:01 am

Runemist….Not sure if you taking the lessons right now but the beginner routine is a good one for idea's on what to do with the hands. Its nice too because its not a sexy routine so it has movement that is appropriate of anytime and place. Like showing your mom. LOL

https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/0fb158b0-b90a-11df-856f-001b214581be

Here's the short free version on YT, this does not break the movement down, like the lesson version, but you'll get the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GoiX0lvguE

• Runemist34

May 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thanks ladies! I suppose I should have checked to see if there were any other threads on this a little closer, but sometimes it's hard to know what to search, you know?

Phoenix: I had thought of that, but when I read your suggestions for some reason a flood of excuses comes from me! I've got short hair, it seems weird if I caress while moving (for some reason??), and I suppose the hip placement and wrap around back work 😉 I'll take your suggestions into mind, because when I make excuses like that, I know it's just silliness and I should be thinking harder about it!

Momma: I feel kinda like that, very stiff and silly! I'm only just getting into taping my practices, so I will have to watch myself for that. It's good to know it becomes more…easy, as you go. Good grammar on my part. Yeah.

Veena: I'm not taking lessons for now, but I'll check out the routine on Youtube!

I'm finding that watching others is frustrating, as I'm only just getting into the aerial stuff (finally!), and mostly everyone I'm finding is doing a lot of that…so they don't do a lot of walking around, spins and such. But, I think I'm going to have to look harder!

• phoenix kazree

May 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Runemist34, if you'd like, I will shoot some footage of me just walking around the pole and executing a few basic spins while keeping my free arm alive. Then you won't have to spend so much time looking.

• LopsiJulie

May 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

OH THANK GOD SOMEONE POSTED THIS!!!

@Phoenix: PLEASE!!! VIDEO!!!! 

I am working on piourettes at the moment and my arm looks ridiculous (I also tend to loose balance and flying off the pole).  It's silly… I got an extended butterfly this week, but I can't walk pretty!  GUH!

HELP the amputee arm!  (I say this because it looks foreign to the rest of the body!)

PS.  Anything but caressing body… that's just not my style 😉

• Runemist34

May 14, 2011 at 12:38 am

Hehe, Lopsi, it's good to know I'm not alone!

And yes, Phoenix, I would LOVE to see some videos of the things you've worked on! I'm okay with the caressing, if that's your thing, but I'd love to see other things, too, unless I'm not feelin' the sexy that day!

• Cocoa0

May 14, 2011 at 1:21 am

@Phoenix PLEASE post a vid!!! My free hand drives me nuts! I don’t know what to do with it. It seems like such an easy fix that I just can’t figure out!

• phoenix kazree

May 14, 2011 at 1:32 am

OK LopsiJulie, Runemist34 and Cocoa0, I will have a video posted on Monday. I work long hours Sat and Sun, so I'll get down to it on Monday. I'm excited. This is gonna be fun.

• LopsiJulie

May 14, 2011 at 3:40 am

YEY!  I am tempted to post a video of me working on my pirouettes so that we can all have a laugh at my expense.  🙂 

Oh hell I'm going to post it tonight (got to run!!!)

• phoenix kazree

May 18, 2011 at 2:42 am

Hey guys, I finally posted the video where I really focused on some basic arm movements. Here's the link.

https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4dd3743c-9c00-470d-afc4-18490ac37250

If the link doesn't work, the video is called "Free Hand" Forum. You can find it on my videos page.

I hope it's helpful:-)

• Cherished

May 18, 2011 at 3:45 am

ooh I love your style and movement Phoenix 🙂

• LopsiJulie

May 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm

https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4dd41bf5-6560-436b-bc50-3d1d0ac37250

Here's the video so you can see how much I struggle with this.  I think graceful is not a word that would ever describe me.

• Miraine

May 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Well I saw some perfectly graceful spins there LopsiJulie, but it's human nature for us to focus on the things we see ourselves doing not so well, and ignore the good bits 🙂

I've a suggestion:  Why don't you spare-arm girls take a look at some bellydance instruction videos (plenty on Youtube)?  That always deals with elegant arm positions and ways of holding the hand out.  On fancier spins, I'd imagine simply a graceful pose with the arm would be a nice finishing touch, and not too complicated to do just to start with.

Page 1 of 2