StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions HAVE YOU SEEN THIS 8 YEAR OLD POLE PERFORMER???

• CreativityBySteffie

May 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Black orchid – I do agree with you. Sadly the world is a dangerous place and concerns like that are needed. I wish it was not like that.

• Black Orchid

May 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I think that if we actively challenge restrictive views we can change the way society thinks. I'm not for accepting a POV that then allows us to contribute to a line of thinking that restricts and shames young dancers ( and their parents). I mean common sense ( age-appropriate music/costumes) is one thing but being concerned that she got to perform at all ( or that it might be seen by others)….no. And again, this comes from me ( yes, a non-parent) having fought that battle to express myself without judgement as a kid AND as an adult instructor now who wants girls to revel in their own physical expression without exploiting themselves. This performance was almost physical tricks and childish sass…nothing provocative at all, other than the pole. She practically de-sexualised the thing.

The only other thing I'll say is that while I'm glad she got the opportunity to do a showcase, but I wish she hadn't been performing with adults. Not for any reason but a selfish one: a kid will steal the show no matter what they do 😉 I'd love to see a youth aerial sport showcase.

Finally…she IS from Russia? ha ha! Oh those Eastern Europeans and their starting young uns off early.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

If you watch children dancing a ballroom or Latin style dance, they look like tiny adults. It's dance! I don't think her dance was inappropriate. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

If this little girl is HAPPY pole dancing at this level then great. There are people who love to train and perform at a high level, regardless of chance of injury later in life. It's up to her and her parents/guardians to decide how hard to push. 

As a parent, I would love to see my kids enjoy a sport or dance…but I would not encourage them to spend their childhood training. 

• Mary Ellyn

May 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I'm not saying it is inappropriate and I am not sexualizing it. But I think Veena actually hit on it…even in ballroom dancing they look like little adults. I don't know if I care for the idea of children looking like little adults and I did think when I saw it that if I hadn't been told it was a child I may have not noticed it was a child. I think I prefer that children look like children.

Not  a big deal but just wanted to throw a different perspective in there as this vid just didn't excite me for some reason… {{shrug}}

• Kira

May 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I'm just really jealous and a bit depressed after watching that haha because I know she has years of developing her pole style and moves and if she can already do all that at her age I can only guess what she'll be like when she's in her 20s! And here I am struggling to aerial invert properly 😛

• Veena

Administrator
    May 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I understand that Ollie, I know it's hard not to feel jealous, but think of this……Pushing yourself, so hard can often result in injury and pain later in life!! As I said before, some people live for training and love it, that's great, if it makes them happy.

But, as people who love pole dance, we should also be sure to send a message that there is no need to do moves or push to a point where you may suffer for it later on in life! Nothing wrong with moderation and enjoying your pole journey. I think many pole dancers feel that if they are not doing "xyz" then they are not truly a pole dancer, but to me that's just not the case!!! I would love to see more of us be happy with where we are in our own journey, myself included…..

She did a terrific job, and I think she would feel awful to hear the "big" girls where talking about her performance being inappropriate, I would hope instead she could see how supportive we can be…… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• chemgoddess1

May 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

The total opposite may also happen.  Many who are brilliant at gymnastics at a young age lose their edge when they hit puberty because their body changes so drastically and they may end up top or bottom heavy, completely throwing off their balance.

All I know is that the reverse grab she did at about a minute into her routine floored me…it also scared me because I honestly thought she was going to lose it and fly across the room!

• CreativityBySteffie

May 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Well I guess I'll just leave this thread with my opinion intact. Another thing to consider when uploading anything to the internet, is that others will talk. I dont think I've said anyhing that could upset her. I dont feel my concern is appreaciated here. That is ok, I have my way of looking at things and others have theirs.

• DreamStarr

May 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Is it too late for me too take up gymnastics or cheerleading ” & compete”? Im pretty sure they will tell me im 20+ yrs too late, im just saying maybe there should be an age limit, I showed my mom the vid and she said she would hurt me if I put her grand daughter on display like that! Of course as a parent your proud but at what point do you draw the line. Im going to be supportive of anything my daughter wants to do, as long as its not going to hurt her! 🙂

• DreamStarr

May 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Is it too late for me too take up gymnastics or cheerleading ” & compete”? Im pretty sure they will tell me im 20+ yrs too late, im just saying maybe there should be an age limit, I showed my mom the vid and she said she would hurt me if I put her grand daughter on display like that! Of course as a parent your proud but at what point do you draw the line. Im going to be supportive of anything my daughter wants to do, as long as its not going to hurt her! 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    May 29, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Steffie, I don't think you said anything wrong. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif If I was speaking to you I would have addressed you. I was just speaking my mind too. I was not addressing anyone on this thread, only Olle in the beginning. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• CreativityBySteffie

May 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Its okay 🙂 I dont feel attacked or anything. But I dont have more to say about the topic 🙂

• PoleFeline

May 30, 2012 at 7:45 am

Maybe it's somewhere in this thread but I didn't see it……can someone tell me where I can see this video? I'm dying of curiosity. Thanks!

• GiedreB

May 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

PoleFeline, here's the full video 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZRA_BHIaeYk

• donnalee

May 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thanks for posting the link again, GledreB.

Just watched it, Wow!

My two quick thoughts are:

1) I read she trains in Russia. The Russians are leaders in dance. The U.S. is a leader in dance as well. Wondering if we have any star children training but we just haven't seen them yet? Russia may be leading the way on this one. But you never know?  We may also be seeing what will happen if the Olymics accepts pole dance. I support what we see in this video.  This 8 year old is doing what pole dance is all about: combing-dance, gymnastics, theatrics on a vertical pole. She is super talented. Can I be her when I grow up?

2) Boy….now after watching that little Superstar….I feel really big and clunky https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif. 

Page 3 of 4