StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Hamstrings

• poledanceromance

October 19, 2009 at 1:53 pm

(Won’t be trying them tonight though as already started on the wine and cooking a curry soon!)
    -x-

Yumyumyumyumyumyum https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

http://exercise.about.com/library/blbandstretch.htm

I found those, the leg stretches are the same ones I do except I also sit in a straddle and loop it over each foot alternately, help hold myself down for about 2m on each side that way as well.

Also if you take the lightest one and just wrap both ends around your hands to get some tension, the first circle (tai chi) makes a great very beginning warmup for arms and shoulders and it’s especially great for bringing awareness to the fact that all the muscles of the body connect in the back and core. You can feel the first circle originating from the core better when you add the little bit of resistance.

• NickiLee88

October 20, 2009 at 3:29 am

Oh, I’m excited to post on this forum because I was planning to start a stretch thread. I’m also very tall with long legs and prior to starting pole (18 months ago) I couldn’t even touch my toes. With regular stretching I’ve improved to the point I can almost do the splits (I can do them if I’m really warm, if I’m cold I’m about 2 cms off), but I haven’t felt I’ve been improving. So the other week I decided to go to a stretch therapist I found on the internet and I have to say he was great. Showed me some really good stretches specific to what I wanted to achieve (using the stretch-contract-relax further method) as both assisted stretches and ones you can do by yourself. Also, I discussed with him, how often you should stretch. He said when he was teaching over in Japan, he was holding classes where some people came everyday, others twice a week, some once and surprisingly the best results were for those who came twice a week. This is because doing the intense contract-relax method (called PNF stretching) actually causes little micro tears in the muscle (why do we want to do this again?) similar to weight training, so the upshot is, to get the most from your stretching (as for weight training) you should do it every two-three days to give your body time to recover after each session. It might all be in my head, but I actually feel more limber already. So I would recommend doing that if it’s at all possible in your area. If not, I can describe some of the stretches he showed me ~ It’s so awesome to be able to do the splits for the first time at 22!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 20, 2009 at 3:37 am

This is because doing the intense contract-relax method (called PNF stretching) actually causes little micro tears in the muscle (why do we want to do this again?) similar to weight training, so the upshot is, to get the most from your stretching (as for weight training) you should do it every two-three days to give your body time to recover after each session.
    Yes, PNF stretching should be done by a professional who knows what their doing. As NickiLee88 said, its intense and should be treated in the same manor as strength training, with rest days to recover. Don’t do this type of stretching if your not familiar with it. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif Thanks for the post NickiLee https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• Runemist34

October 20, 2009 at 5:14 am

NickiLee, I sound quite the same, long legs, can’t touch my toes or do the splits, so perhaps I’ll try that method! I’m also no so good at sticking with my routines every day (yet!) so I think that it would work for me. Is it basically that you stretch to where you’re mostly comfortable, contract your muscles, and then release and relax them, and go a little further? I think I did that a bit before in my Self defence class…
    Thank you for the idea, too https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• NickiLee88

October 20, 2009 at 5:43 am

Is it basically that you stretch to where you’re mostly comfortable, contract your muscles, and then release and relax them, and go a little further?

That is definitely the basic premise. the initial hold should be for approx 30 secs to relax your muscles, contract for 5, relax and push a little further, hold 20/30, secs, contract for 5, relax, hold another 20/30. Don’t hold it for longer than 3 minutes, and come out of gently as recommended above.

If you’re not doing it with someone who knows what they’re doing, I would recommend that you get a book or a DVD (I have one by Kit Laughlin, he’s probably the leading authority in Australia), because, as Veena said, it’s intense and it’s sometimes difficult to know what you should be contracting in order to get the best out of the stretch and to make sure you don’t injure yourself. Also, the positioning is sometimes weird. But it’s definitely one of the most effective ways to increase your range of motion if it’s done right. I hope it works for you!

• Jazzy

October 20, 2009 at 6:41 am

To do assisted stretching you can also use a Scarf in lieu of a belt or stretch band.

• poledanceromance

October 20, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Yep, pretty much anything you can hook around your foot would work. An old pair of nylons even! Is it basically that you stretch to where you’re mostly comfortable, contract your muscles, and then release and relax them, and go a little further?

That is definitely the basic premise. the initial hold should be for approx 30 secs to relax your muscles, contract for 5, relax and push a little further, hold 20/30, secs, contract for 5, relax, hold another 20/30. Don’t hold it for longer than 3 minutes, and come out of gently as recommended above.

If you’re not doing it with someone who knows what they’re doing, I would recommend that you get a book or a DVD (I have one by Kit Laughlin, he’s probably the leading authority in Australia), because, as Veena said, it’s intense and it’s sometimes difficult to know what you should be contracting in order to get the best out of the stretch and to make sure you don’t injure yourself. Also, the positioning is sometimes weird. But it’s definitely one of the most effective ways to increase your range of motion if it’s done right. I hope it works for you!

Do you know anyplace off the top of your head I could get a book or dvd? This sounds like a particularly good way to work with specific problem areas that don’t respond as well to the current routine. Can you still stretch every day but just 2 days a week do this with specific places and then stretch everything else on the off days?

Page 2 of 2