StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Hamstrings and Sitting Pike

• Hamstrings and Sitting Pike

Posted by Beccaf87 on March 9, 2015 at 10:55 am

I know this was briefly answered in the lesson video, but wanted to make sure I am doing this correctly. Due to very tight hamstrings if my legs are straight my back is rounded (Picture 1). If I try to keep my back straight my legs bend (Picture 2) and if I try to bend forward my knees bend even more (Picture 3). What is better for the stretch? Straight legs with a rounded back or bent knees with a straight back? Also, if I try to sit against a wall for a flat back I can mostly get my knees down but can not bend forward at all. Would that be a good stretch or not? Thanks!

Beccaf87 replied 9 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • AllysonKendal

March 9, 2015 at 1:22 pm

This is going to sound like craziness, so i apologize in advance for that.

Does it help if you actually take your hands and grab your butt cheeks and pull them back. Ugh. I don’t know how to describe it. So you’re not sitting on your butt cheeks, but instead they are kind of behind you… I don’t know why but I feel like it really helps me not round?! I think maybe it has you sit on your sits bones?

I googles it, and this is kind of how they phrased it “Sit up straighter, pull back the flesh from the underside of your seat, tip your pelvis forward (per Number 1, above), and try to connect your protrusions with your mat, letting them support you.”

But that “pulling back the flesh” aka your butt cheeks is key for me.

• kasanya

March 9, 2015 at 3:00 pm

If your lower back is rounding, that means the body is trying to cheat the stretch by moving it away from the really tight area (hamstrings). It’s better to do a stretch with proper form and less depth in order to really get it into the muscles that need it. In this case, that would mean keeping the back straight.

That being said, the double leg sitting forward bend is REALLY difficult to do effectively if you have super tight hamstrings. I would suggest approaching it as the final stretch in a series of stretches intended to prepare the body for it. I would start by stretching the calves. Then I would do an active stretch variation of the standing forward bend, where you place your hands on a chair seat and really focus on lifting the tailbone to the ceiling as you bend and straighten your knees several times. You should be able to start bending your elbows and bring your chest gradually closer to the chair as you do this. Then I would do single leg sitting forward bends on each side. THEN I would try the double leg sitting forward bend. If you’re still having trouble with the starting position at that point, you can elevate your hips a bit by sitting on a pillow or rolled up yoga mat.

Hope that helps!

• emilliafuller2943

March 9, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I have the same problem. What I do to help me is lay flat on the ground and get a towel or resistant band and lift one straight leg up into the air. The floor forces my back to be straight and I can pull my leg as far close to me as I can. hope this helps

• dustbunny

March 9, 2015 at 10:54 pm

What kasanya said. 👍👍👍

• Runemist34

March 9, 2015 at 11:45 pm

I’ve had really tight hamstrings most of my life, so I know how you feel!
    I found that stretching, slowly and carefully, with both a straightened back and a rounded back, as well as flexed and pointed feet, allows me to feel more comfortable in a pike position doing whatever I may be doing.
    I would also stress, seriously, the importance of patience. I’ve pushed the pike stretch before, and thought “Oh, if I just go a little further, it’ll be okay,” and it really wasn’t! I managed to damage both my hamstrings, and had to lay off all stretching for them for months and months.
    Stretch, slowly, until you feel some discomfort. Just the littlest pull, and then stay there. Stretch when really warm, too. Try stretches from standing, sitting, and one leg at a time.
    You’ll get there! No matter where you’re starting from, you’ll get there! I can touch the ground from standing now 😉 If I can do it, I know you can too!

• Beccaf87

March 10, 2015 at 7:55 am

Thanks for all the great advice ladies! I will try those variations and tips. 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    March 10, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Yes, as addressed in the lesson, the most important thing is to hold the pelvis in the correct placement shown in the very beginning. Also, mention at the beginning, it’s ok if the legs do not go flat. I’m glad you asked the question because I offer variations so you can find what works for you! You can also use one of the other Hamstring lengthening lessons listed as well, remember everything is grouped together, so it’s easy and quick to find something else. Try working with the one leg bent variation for a while and never push you’re hamstrings as they tend to be fussy and get angry easily.

• Beccaf87

March 11, 2015 at 8:05 am

Thanks Veena!