StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Has anyone else have tendonitis from pole dancing?

• Has anyone else have tendonitis from pole dancing?

Posted by Enigma Poledancer on May 2, 2012 at 9:20 am

I have quadricep tendonitis in my right leg and my knee is inflamed because of it. Had it for a few months now and its really painful and its definitely holding me back. The doctor prescribed me mobic and i'll admit i've still been dancing on it because i'm a dancer, thats my job although i did get a second job as a waitress to kinda change up the activity plus i'm only dancing a few nights a week. What should i do? I plan on going back to the doctor to get a cortisone shot. Has anyone had one? did it help? I feel if i get the shot it'll heal quicker, what stretches/exercises should i do to help this? I was also thinking about going to physical therapy too. PLEASE HELP ME I JUST NEED SOME ADVICE! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

Runemist34 replied 12 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

May 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

I have tendonitis in my wrist. I've had it on an off for about a year. There are certain moves that irritate it. You are supposed to let the site rest for about a week or so, then start gentle stretches and exercises to strengthen the area. You should ask the doc about what exercises and stretches would be good for the injury. Unfortunately, tendonitis takes a while to heal, so you nedd to avoid movements that will keep irritating it.

• Enigma Poledancer

May 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

yea i think i'm gonna have to stop dancing for awhile https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif especially since thats what caused it in the first place. i took two weeks off when i first got it but that was before i knew what it was. Now that i know what it is and now that i've been prescribed medicine for it. I think i should take those two weeks off and if i need to go into work, i'll just work the floor instead of getting on stage plus i'll still waitress 4 days a week.. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

• Dancing Paws

May 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yeah, it sucks, but it's probably for the best. It would be awful to cause permanent damage.

• Enigma Poledancer

May 2, 2012 at 10:11 am

you're absolutely right sensual

• luvlee

May 2, 2012 at 10:13 am

I think I have this in my left wrist. Have not seen my dr. I just wrap when it hurts and take a break. Ugh. It sucks. It holds me back. You need to rest it though.

• Dancing Paws

May 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

Luvlee – That's where mine is. I started stretching my wrist everyday in all directions. I especially like the stretch where you tuck your thumbs in, put your hands towards eachother and bend them back/down to the ground. Also, my powerball seems to help also. I've used Veena's wrist strengthening exercises as well.

• Runemist34

May 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

I've had tendonitis a LOT, though not from pole- just from everything else! Wrist, ankle, shoulder… the last one is the one I've been dealing with the most, now. I get it from having bags and my backpack on that side, actually, and it's quite painful and frustrating.

From what I understand, from my doctor, tendonitis is what happens when you strain the tendon, because your muscles aren't strong enough for what you're doing. That's why repetitive motion really makes it suck- your muscles and tendons can take it now and then, but over and over, all the time? Not likely. So, it freaks out and gets inflamed.

So, the best advice I can give is this: Ease off, for sure. Give the tendon time to calm down. Put ice on it if you can, and if you know what's causing your pain, either find ways around doing it, or find ways of just not doing it.
    And then slowly, carefully try to strengthen the muscles around that tendon. Once the inflammation goes down, obviously you don't want it back! So, do just a little bit of strength training in that area. Go easy on it, though!

It takes time to get over this stuff. I've had my shoulder issue for a long time- probably more than a year. I have to keep reminding myself, still, to take it easy, and to watch what I'm doing. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse.

Be nice to yourself and your body!