StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Help! Just got my new X-pole & my fat-ass can’t use it!

• Help! Just got my new X-pole & my fat-ass can’t use it!

Posted by MissDevious on March 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

First….. let me start by saying, UGH! I have been DYING to get a pole for over a year now and this week I finally got one off Craigslist (a 45mm Chrome X-pole) complete with a fabulous crashmat. I finally got the thing put together (thanks to Youtube) but I now face the two following problems…..

1) I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get it off spin mode. Yes, I read the directions…. I just can't do it.

2) I just realized that I have ZERO upper body strength. I can't even do any simple spins. Obviously, it doesn't help that I could stand to lose about 40 pounds but hey, thats kinda why I bought the pole….lol.

I cannot even begin to explain how depressing this is! No… I didn't think I would just jump on the pole and "poof" magically know how to pole, but I also didn't think I would feel like a small hippo hanging off a piece of metal in my living room!

Has anyone else felt this way? If so, how did you approach gaining strength and skills? I plan on upgrading my Veena membership for lessons since I can't afford to go to the studio right now, but I really need some advice from someone who isn't a size 2 that has been through this and made some progress….

Sad in tha Bay,

Miss Devious

echo234 replied 11 years, 9 months ago 31 Members · 39 Replies
  • 39 Replies
  • JeHanne

March 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Hi Miss Devious!

A small hippo?!? Nooooooo!!! I appreciate the sarcastic humor but banish that self depreciating talk! 

Did you watch the XPole installation video? It is more clear than the manual IMO. It has a small segment on enabling and disabling the spin feature. Maybe someone will chime in with some helpful advice on that since I am awful at explaining that kind of stuff.

I recently started poling and was embarrassed at how little upper body strength I had. I used to be an active exerciser and rock climber years ago. I got the video lessons and enjoy them a lot. 

I have built upper body strength by holding onto the pole, doing plank and push ups. My strength has grown dramatically in a short amount of time and I am very encouraged. I am 30 pounds overweight so it is much harder to defy gravity. (I hope in time that number grows MUCH smaller but it does not keep me from poling). 

Be patient and persistent… celebrate your accomplishments! The forum is a great place and extremely supportive and helpful. 

Keep us updated on your progress!

Happy Poling!

JeHanne

• Veena

Administrator
    March 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Don't feel bad at all! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

1 you should have a little hex key with your pole, this fits into small screws at the base of the pole, make sure the screws are not missing. Also are you sure its on spin? Did you maybe not tighten the adjuster rod enough?

2 In the veena method, I don't consider most spins as simple or as beginner moves. They are something you will need to work up too. So don't feel bad. When you do sign up for the lessons I start you off with strength moves that you work on first, and also we work on transitions, and floorwork building up strength as you work towards spins. 

It does get better https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Masked Loopy II

March 13, 2011 at 7:45 pm

It can take many weeks to build up proper upper body strength to do spins that appear easy.  My instructor always tells people that it may be 8 weeks before they can climb the pole.  Take things easy.  To start, just practice moves in which at least one foot is on the floor (i.e. swoops, hooking one leg on the pole, pirouettes, body waves).  Then, try a little bit of strengthening (i.e. hanging off the pole without trying to climb).  I think you may be at a disadvantage trying to learn on spin mode because you're dealing with additional issues (like the momentum constantly trying to knock you off).  I don't have Xpole, so I'm not familiar with what you need to do to make it static.  I think you will have success following Veena's lessons.

• Pink Sapphire

March 13, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Hi MissDevious!

I just want to say that I, myself, am a plus size beauty that once too felt intimidated by the skinny mini's that pole so effortlessly. the x-pole is designed to hold up to 250+ lbs. I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. I think once you start to build your confidence, you'll be great on the pole. I can't give you any advice about how to get a pole off the spin mode because my pole is static, however, as far as the upper body strength, I'm your girl. I have the same issue as far as my strength. I felt my arms were as strong as cooked pasta! Lately, I've been using 5lb weights and lifting slightly to strengthen my wrists and working on my biceps/triceps (whatever those arm muscles are called). I also plan to start lifting my weight and holding as long as possible on the pole w/both arms for 5 reps. Try things like this @ first, and your upper body strength should increase. Don't forget your core muscles too! Some cardio and crunches will help w/that. Good luck w/your endeavors!!!

• kat pole princess

March 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

hiya,

dont be so tuff on urself.  it will take time to build that upper body strength.  when i took classes, we did two spins forever unlil we built up to do more.  u will be in awe on how fast u pick up on things once u get on ur way.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

in terms of the pole, r u lined up with the x on the base?  i had to tighten and loosen the pole to make sure i was in the right place so i wasnt strippin the pole.  if u run into any problems, call xpole.  im sure they will guide u thru the process.  sometimes just bein able to be talked thru the process is helpful.  when i bought my first i was pretty nervous and then became annoyed.  lol.  i def called them to help me thru.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• minicoopergrl

March 14, 2011 at 11:59 am

When in doubt, Xpole is always willing to help you out.  Also the demo on You Tube is really helpful as well.

I understand where your coming from.  Im 250lbs and im always scared of playin on other poles I just dont know yet.  I was sold on the xpole when I went to the convention and played on the Xstages.  My thinking is if they could hold me, then the xpert would work.  Pole takes time,  I took me YEARS to get the basic invert and MONTHS to even climb!

• SashaMae

March 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Hey now! We don’t talk like that here!! I am 5’6 and 130-140 lbs and it took me at least 3 weeks to see real improvements on my spins. It doesn’t matter what size you are- it takes time. I’ve never had a problem with upper body strength (super swimmer arms..:/) but I did struggle with gracefulness and basic spins (I ran into the pole several times..) but I bought Veenas 2 month package and her lessons just made perfect sense to me. You know how things just click? Well that’s how it
    happened for me. Don’t get down on yourself. We all have to start somewhere!! Keep at it!

• MissDevious

March 21, 2011 at 2:21 am

Thanks for everyones help! It turns out I didn't have the pole properly installed, so that is why it was spinning. My husband finally got it all figured out for me, so today was my first time really getting to play on it. I may not know any moves yet, and I may be terribly out of shape….But, WOW!!! I had alot of fun. I must say, it beats a frikken treadmill. I sweat my butt off, I am sore all over and I have the bruises to prove it, but I am happy.

• lovesmypole

March 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Im new to the pole also and i cant spin or do anything on the pole yet but i just keep at it and today i was able to hold myself up but 1 min not that long i no but to me it felt like a hour i was so proud of myself and that little bit was all i need to keep on pushing myself come on you can do it just set small goals and you will be swing in no time

• Lyme Lyte

March 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I got my pole about a month ago and couldn't hold myself up for ONE SECOND.  The thing is just sitting there looking at me everyday and I avoid eye contact with it!!!!  BUT after looking at many people on this site, I figure I need to start….not going to give into the pole!!!

So I decided to get a membership a few days ago with this site and it has been so helpful!  Today I actually did some of the warm ups and learned proper technique to doing a basic hold.  I still cant do it for more than a second, but I figure just trying the hold a few times everyday, along with the strength exercises, I WILL get it.  I know it will take months to do some of these basic moves but I am commited to doing this.  I really think signing up for a membership would be a HUGE plus for you. 

One day at a time is my moto……

• vipergal

March 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Well, I had no upper body strength, and I am still about 40lbs away from being where I want to be, but I am consistant. I can now climb, the pole hold is still a challange and inverting is coming slowly. Patience, persistance, and encouragement from the lovely ladies here and at the studio where I go.

One Day At A Time!

Oh yes, and you can do it, girl.

• Runemist34

March 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I think the biggest part is having fun! That's why I went with pole, and why I continue to come back…for me, a lot of "traditional" fitness is boring, so having fun is the biggest challenge!

As long as you have fun, and you push yourself just a little bit when you feel you can, you will progress, and you'll get stronger…trust me, everyone starts off feeling like they're as tough as a spaghetti noodle!

• pole dancer 7776

March 25, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I had a pole made for me and I can only d0 headstands I can’t even lift myself up eather and it gets to me also can’t even spin well its a 2 inch pole but I’m not giving up wish I had help to I’m strong in my legs but week upper part its sad I feel worthless know how you feel

• hookedonpole

March 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm

A lot of us started out feeling like "no way" can I pull myself up or hold my body; no matter what size or weight.  Even though many came from some type of exercise, weight classes, etc. dealing with one's own body weight is different than 5-8 lb weight repetitions.  I started pole thinking I was "fit" uh-no 🙂  Had to start all over not even being able to hold the pole and lift feet off the ground for 1 second pole hold.  Strength does come when we least expect it.  I've been at it three years and just feeling like more strength to move on.  Remember, some things on pole come faster than others, we are all mix and match with accomplishments.  Have fun and you've come to the right place for that, as well as support and encouragement.  Welcome!!!

• MissDevious

March 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Its funny that you said that… I had really always thought of myself as "strong". I can get down on the weights at the gym with no problem, but lifting my own body weight is a whole other problem! Talk about a reality check.  I guess thats why I was so "shocked" that I couldn't jump on the pole and magically do everything….HaHaHaHa! But its all good…. at least when I am finally able to pull myself up on that pole, I will know without a shadow of a doubt how strong I really am.

Page 1 of 3