StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Help with CKR

• Help with CKR

Posted by Yanille79 on September 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

So I’ve been practicing finally the CKR. But most times Today I’ve been slipping off quick after I let go of my hands . Too quick it’s hard to exit safely . Any tips frustrated . I got it fine earlier maybe I’m too tired now and I can’t get it. Frustrated.now not happy .

portableninja replied 11 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    September 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Are you making sure to drop the butt bringing the legs into position BEFORE you start to lean back and let go. The legs need to be securely against the pole first. 😉

• chemgoddess1

September 10, 2013 at 5:21 pm

This is a move that to date still freaks me out.  The positioning for it is very different than the other 2 laybacks.  For me I have to internally the crap out of my legs and it will catch in that little fleshy spot just above my kneecaps.  If you are sitting in a chair with your ankles crossed try to get your kneecaps to touch….that is what I mean by internally rotating.  You should be able to close any gap between your thighs when you do this.  That is pretty much what you need to do to get a good grip.

• Yanille79

September 10, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I guess I may be rushing this move. Ill try it again in a couple days and post a video so you can see what I am doing. Thanks for always responding so fast. 🙂

• Runemist34

September 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I've practiced this move a LOT and I really enjoy it- one of my only inverts, so I cling to it as a huge accomplishment!

Biggest thing for me was the bent-leg position, and getting your bum down into position before letting go with your hands and laying back.

Veena's got it entirely right (as she should!), make sure to drop your bum down and put your legs into position before letting go. I've found that, for me, I actually make a near-right-angle with my bent leg, and I get a lot of stability!

You can also help with a little stabilizing by placing one hand on your foot (the foot of the bent leg), so that you can pull down and get a little more comfortable with the position.

Best of luck! 🙂

• chemgoddess1

September 10, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Why did I read that as CAR??  I am sorry…I just gave you the total wrong advice!

The one thing I always made sure my girls did is to make sure their bent leg was pointing backwards toward their shoulder.  And yes, catch that pole in the crook of the bend before ever letting go.  You can also place a chair just below you so that as you are leaning back you have something to catch you if slip.

• chemgoddess1

September 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I will also note that in my observations those that have meatier thighs like CAR better than CKR and vice versa.

• Veena

Administrator
    September 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Yes ^

• Juicy J

September 10, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Very true, Chemgoddess!

I recently demonstrated the CKR to my friend and then a CAR right after and after doing CAR for so long, I definitely now feel safer and more secure in the CAR when it used to be the other way around!
    And yes, I do think I have meatier thighs and I like the CAR better than the CKR.

• leyrose

September 11, 2013 at 2:34 am

I find the CKR to hurt so much more than the CAR, I have very meaty thighs! Although I feel much more secure in the CKR.

• Runemist34

September 11, 2013 at 4:36 am

Funny, because I have found the CKR much more comfortable than the CAR, and my thighs are much of my weight- they're big and strong and able to crush people, apparently 😛

However, it's possible I may prefer the CAR as I practice it, especially since I have a new, grippier, awesome pole 😉

I do prefer the look of the CAR much more, so that may also play into future-me's preference to it, as well!

• portableninja

September 11, 2013 at 8:34 am

I’m not sure what I would call my thighs… It was kind of hard to find skinny jeans that fit, so I guess they’re thick? 🙂 I definitely feel safer in the CKR but that’s because the positioning is different and it suits my body. The CAR is all about squeezing and using thighs and knees to hold, and I find it harder than even superman. I think it’s good to learn both, but everyone has a preference. My first pole instructor strongly prefers CAR.