StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions High-Glitz Pageants (ages 0-12)???

• High-Glitz Pageants (ages 0-12)???

Posted by JiggaLuv87 on May 16, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Hello agian Veeners! This is a topic that has probably come up every now again among women (whether a mother or not) Im just gonna start off by saying I myself DONT like them. I've seen Natural Pageants and they're OKAY seeing as there's no make-up and such involved, but I recently started watching this show on TLC "Toddlers & Tiaras" and these high-glitz pageants are just INSANE (well….mostly the mothers). The amount of make-up on these little girls, hair pieces, some of the oufits are a tad revealing, and worst of all…SPRAY TANNING!!! I believe in teaching my daughter about inner beauty. I dont ever want her to feel like she needs to win a trophy and money to feel beautifulhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gifhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif Here the link to a couple episodes; Tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqI8bPv5NI&feature=plcp 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQ9KaufAPM&feature=relmfu 

Dancing Paws replied 12 years, 3 months ago 13 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • azblanco

May 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I wrote a paper on this argument a few semesters ago. But basically i agree with everything you just said. All these young girls are going to try to live up to an expectation of beauty that doesnt exsist without makeup and spray tans. An argument that I made- what about children who have a darker complextion? Light skin children have to have a tan to be considered beautiful. So no shade before or after a “bronze tan glow” is beautiful? Pale and dark is no longer beautiful? How does this help in our struggle for equality and peace among everyone?
    I feel some of these mothers are insecure and are living through their daughters.
    Not to stereo type by saying all paegants are bad because in some areas there are a lack of after school, productive programs for girls. I guess in some cases this is better than their daughters being confined and not receiving any attenion at all…

• JiggaLuv87

May 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

There are probably a handful of mothers on the show that I respect for not blowing the whole "need to win" thing out of poportion. The ones that dont favor one child over the other because she/he has won more titles. I respect the ones that dress there child conservatively and dont shove fake teeth into their mouths. I feel like crying right alongside the little girls cuz they get sooo DEVISTATED when they dont get a high title. Every child should feel as though they are a king or queen despite what the world might consider to be perfection. I mean the judges and directors at these events are just so critical to the point where these kids want to beat themselves up for a slight stumble.

• JiggaLuv87

May 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I forgot to add how most of the mothers would say during the interviews "I believe that looks are what get a person farther in life" *Shaking Head*

• glitterhips

May 16, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I get appalled at how the girls are treated by some of the mothers. Crying and saying “I don’t want to mom” and being forced to anyway one little girl had a fever and her mom made her go on anyway. And people think I will be a bad mother because I pole and have tattoos ugh!!!!

• JiggaLuv87

May 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Society seems to have it all mixed up! Its better dress you child in LESS than what we wear to practice in and parade them across the stage like ponies. God only knows how many of the ppl in the audience are ACTUALLY parents and which ones are a bunch of pervs that slipped through the cracks. Im still BAFFLED at the thought of the one mother that dresed her daughter in the dress like the one Julia Roberts wore in pretty woman (you know which one). It was all over the news and in the papers. Referring to the child as a "Prostitoddler". The mother bragged about it saying  "I took the publicity as a way of getting my daughters face out there and now she's famous!"

• JiggaLuv87

May 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I dont know how those women can watch themselves on that show and NOT think theres anything wrong with them or the pageant itselfhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_evil.gif

• Runemist34

May 16, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I don't really believe in any pageants of any kind. How can we cause one human being to compete with another human being, because of the way they look and think? What are we trying to prove with this?

It's terrifying for me to think of.

I've seen tiny pieces of Toddlers in Tiaras, mostly due to the hype that went around a while ago about it. I was appaled. To teach children at such a young age that their performance and what they look like is so important to both their parents, and "should" be important to them… well, those people aren't going to grow up easily. Once they reach adulthood and realize that it's more about who you are on the inside, and what you believe in and do in your life that creates happiness, rather than trying to be popular or look good, it's going to be quite a shock.

Honestly, it's more about the parents than the children- it's more the children who suffer for it, though.

• JiggaLuv87

May 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Here's another snippet ladieshttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxEt5YL8w4 

• glitterhips

May 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Also anyone ever notice how the moms tend to be either overweight or super attractive?! Lol I bet a psychiatrist would have a field day at one of these!

• JiggaLuv87

May 17, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I just the moms that say they did pageants as a kid and now theyre passing it down to their girls. Everytime the kids introduce themselves, the second thing out their mouth is "I loooooove pageants" or "I am a pageant DIVA". Un-huh, that doesnt sound like its been drilled into their heads!

• minicoopergrl

May 18, 2012 at 6:03 am

Or the mom who gives her kid 'go go' juice – its Mountain Dew with Red Bull in it.  What on this green earth does an 8yr old need that kind of caffiene in their system, they are naturally energetic to begin with!

Melanie Kady has her own makeup that she sells and she attended one of those pagents and some of the advertisments are just crap.  One was advertising 'natural looking photos', natrual photos are my daughter playing out in the yard with her bff or showing off her personality – not caked in makeup. 

• Dancing Paws

May 18, 2012 at 9:03 am

I find them appauling. Those pageants just sexualize little girls. Uh! If those parents want their little girls to be active, put them in dance classes, art classes, sports, recitals, plays, etc! 

• SexyRockStarsWifeNowWidow

May 18, 2012 at 9:39 am

I don't watch that show personally and don't ever plan on it. I watched an episode of Anderson Cooper where it featured those moms from that show and YIKES!!! That is all I can say. Plus does anyone remember JonBenet Ramsy?

My oldest sister did these Miss Cinderella pageants with her girls and oi vey!! Which brings me to the next issue with them, the money these moms sink into doing them. I'm sure many of those moms on that show are in financial debt up to their eyeballs and will keep doing them despite maybe ending up in the poor house, or literally losing their house. My sister  refinanced their house twice and have now lost it to the bank because they couldn't afford the morgtage payments just so she could take her trips with the girls to nationals in Vegas!! 

Guess my opinion is a tad bit stronger than most, since I've seen what these are like on a slight first hand basis. So sorry for prattling on.

• JeHanne

May 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

I can't get my mind around this… I don't understand it. At all. 

• JiggaLuv87

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm

@Witchess-I agree! My bf and I nearly choked on our food after hearing the ammount of cash they or theyre husbands shovel out to these pageants!! Anywhere from 10'000 to 250'000 dollars! Even more idiotic is the fact that even if a child wins they are NOT always going to win money and if they do, its nowhere near the amount spent. The mothers will giggle when they talk about having 2 and 3 jobs or threatening to leave their husbands if they dont financially support the girls showshttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

Page 1 of 2