StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Hope for Over 40

• ambience24z9338

April 10, 2015 at 1:12 am

@ Cazzzz… Oh wooowww.. I was in Tucson last month looking for a place to drop in and pole at.. LOL.. GPS sure didnt help me much, but I was on my way to Phoenix for the weekend to get away. 🙂 Now I know where to find you.

• Junes Pole Dance

April 10, 2015 at 1:49 am

Hello to you, you have good times ahead of you, if you get the passion for this, like the rest of us maniacs in here. I started to pole just before i turned 43, and have now been at if for 1,5 years. Check out my videos if you like. It is possible to get somewhere with this at least! I usedvanlig Veenas lesing, and also attended lessons at a studio. Best wishes!

• Junes Pole Dance

April 10, 2015 at 1:51 am

I should write “I used Veenas lessons” damn auto correct

• newschik

April 10, 2015 at 11:39 am

I am 55 and began poling at 47. I have stopped and started a couple of times due to life commitments and injury, but I now teach and embrace the journey. Greta is a great role model, but there are many over 40, over 50 and over 60 polers who are beautiful dancers, strong pole people, and fabulous people. Pole is not just for the young and taut…lol

• NewWomanNow

April 10, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Wow! I am so grateful to have found this site. You guys are amazing and I am so thankful for all the encouragement!

• Pinkkupcakez

April 10, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I love the support here! I started pole when I was 41 with no dance background. (My weekly exercise was window shopping) 🙂 At times I get discouraged, but I had to remind myself that Greta Is admirable but she is also a national gymnastics champion and a national martial arts title holder when she was younger. Unless I’m willing to work 2-3 hours a day on flexibility, I won’t get the splits like hers. So, I guess I’ll just have to settle for no splits for me! lol…

• poleisnewtome

April 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm

NewWomanNow, I dont think age should put a damper on your ability or potential. At 46 you’re the oldest you’ve ever been but the youngest you’ll ever be. In ten years you’ll be 56 so if you dont start now when you’re 56 you’ll look back and say “If only I started when I was only 46.”

• Kellye Perkins

April 11, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Right on! Wish I had discovered pole fitness 10 years ago:)

• flyingchiro

April 11, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I am 59, and just started poling a few months ago. It is easy to look at the 20 and 30 somethings in the studio and on YouTube videos and feel unhappy or self-conscious at the comparison. Truly, there are irrefutable differences in tautness of skin and distribution of fat over the decades, especially after kids, weight gain/loss, etc.
    Also, there is the fact that pole has a sexy – as well as a fitness – component. And we are in a society that writes the equation sexy = young.
    So for me, here are my solutions:
    1. Compare my progress only to myself. Not to other beginners. Not to the young, or fit or dancers.
    2. Be content to change slowly and know that I expect to be doing this for a long time. I hope at least 10 or 20 more years!
    3. To be aware that I will improve on somethings quicker than others. I already see huge improvements in upper body strength, mild to moderate improvements in flexibility. And not quite yet in the sexy dance moves 😉 and that’s OK.
    4. Biggest of all: to be committed to fight the oppression of agism. I’m unwilling to not do this because I am too old. I am unwilling not to feel free and playful and sexy while I am doing it.
    5. I frequently remind myself that this is going to change the quality and quantity of our lives. Because we are creating new brain and neural circuitry. Because we are slowing the development of osteoporosis by strengthening. Because we are reducing the chances of falling by improving balance (….if we don’t fall off the pole 😉 ). We are having great fun, and we are pioneers in changing how our generation ages!

So, go us! We rock. No one can tell us otherwise.

• Cazzzz

April 11, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Dang, flyingchiro, your like pole meets wisdom. 😉 I loved your post. 🙂

• flyingchiro

April 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Thanks, Cazzz! I’m workin’ this shit!

• majikmyke

April 12, 2015 at 4:23 am

I began reading this thread out of curiosity more than anything, but was intrigued by all the responses. I began poling 2.5 years ago, and am now 67. The 5 “bullet” points flyingchiro stated in her post to this thread are absolutely the most important elements that you can take away from this thread. I am privileged to pole with an exceptionally great group of ladies, at several studio’s, that are encouraging, supportive, and inclusive.

I find pole dancing/fitness challenging and rewarding. It has transformed my body and mind. Would love to hear from others that are over 40, or even 50. Thank you for allowing me to contribute.

• NewWomanNow

April 12, 2015 at 6:25 am

FlyingChiro, that was amazing!

• Strawberrysmoothie

April 12, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Congratulations! I know men an women a lot younger who couldn’t do what you just did. Bravo.

I started pole at the end of last year and I’m 43. I’m also a LOT stronger than a lot of women in my class due to the fact I’m very physically active (I also started thai boxing at 41 and krav maga at 38). I’m in better shape now than I ever was in my 20’s or 30’s. My point is this you are never too old to do the things you love. If you want to bet great at this…you can be. Its all in your mindset and focus.

Page 2 of 2