StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How To Cardio

• How To Cardio

Posted by Runemist34 on February 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm

*sigh* Okay, so, I asked if pole is cardio…and I got the answer of "it can be," if I do it correctly. Fair enough!

I really, REALLY want some fun cardio fitness, because running is boring, I can't bike, and walking just doesn't get my heart going. I huff and puff every time I go up and down the stairs at campus, and the rest of the day, I'm sitting on my rear in class!

So, if pole CAN be cardio…HOW?

Is there something I can do, some videos I can look up, some kind of reference I can find to get my pole fitness include some cardio workout? I do a lot of spins, some lifts and things, but that's just building strength. The rest of my dance, I'm trying to work slow, be careful, and get my muscles working in other ways. I'm trying to progress properly, so I'm taking it slow.

Sooo…should I do tricks? Are there some tricks better than others? What kinds of other things can I do for cardio with the pole? If pole is your only real form of fitness, how do you get your cardio workout as well as the strength and stuff?

I'm really interested in this, because I'm having a hard time getting my heart rate up, and keeping it up. Most cardio exercises are ones that I simply cannot do (either because it's very hilly here, or my knees, or whatever), and others I cannot afford. I'd love to learn about doing proper cardio at home.

MichelleH replied 13 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • EvaRut

February 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Doing a freestyle dance really gets me sweating, my heart pumping and I end up huffing and puffing. Try a fast or energetic song and just dance your ass off. 🙂 

• Veena

Administrator
    February 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Dance baby dance!!! Put on some music and go with the moves you know and that come most natural and just dance. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gifDon't worry if you feel silly or look crazy….lol but don't stop moving! Stay with it for a whole song. I could get into greater detail and I'm guessing someone else will thank god for wonderful veeners. But the short answer is just dance! If you know all the moves in the Beginner routine lesson give that a shot as well. Keep that heart rate up! Doing a trick and then stopping then doing another is more of a strength building approach….cardio…move move move.

• Runemist34

February 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Lol, I love you guys 😛

Basically what you're saying is…WHATEVER I CAN! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

I think that I used to just kamikaze my way through my workouts, which may be why I got so freakin' tired so fast, because after like, 20-30 minutes, I was totally tired out!

I realize the point is to "keep your heart rate up," but how high should it be? Should I worry about it? Are some pauses okay? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif I know so little about workouts like this! Most of my knowledge is in strength training and understanding how muscles work, and maybe a little bit about fat burning Oo;

• kat pole princess

February 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

we did repeated drills too for cardio.  meaning doin the moves u know on both sides 10-15 times in a row.  then water break (and clean the pole) then new trick/spin 10-15x.  we were all sweaty and exhausted after an hr.  but def a great cardio workout!

• Bellz

February 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Cardio is, by definiation, an activity that keeps your heart rate up. WHen you're working on tricks, it isn't cardio. If you're dancing, and keeping your heart rate up consistently for 10-20 minutes, then it's cardio. Sparkpeople.com has a lot of fun, 10 minute cardio videos.

• kat pole princess

February 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

agreed and when ur doin drills, ur hb is def elevated,. im talking about doin the spins/climbs at a rapid pace.  u will def be sweating at the end of drills.  lol.  we r not talkin about bein dangerous either when  r comepleting the drills, u should be at a point when the r moves  feel natural for ya. 

• MichelleH

February 7, 2011 at 1:30 am

Regarding how high should your heartbeat be, if you're sweating a bit and you can hold a conversation but need to stop to take a breath, then you're porbably in the right zone. If your face has gone red and you're struggling to breathe let alone talk, then you may be working a bit hard,

Will try find an online resource on heartrate zones by feel to back this up.