StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How limited will I be because of my background?

• Cherished

May 31, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I agree with everything Sapphirecatzeye said 10,000 times over! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Sinnamon

May 31, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I really love the SV forum. Everyone is always so supportive and this thread is a great example. Good luck achieving all your desires PDR!

Here is a great quote that I tell all my students, and even believe myself.

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." –Mihkail Baryshnikov

• pegasusaerialfitness

June 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

The only thing that can limit you is "Your Mind." Be the one that changes what the "typical" is. Every women has a unique beauty and grace. I think that is part of pole…It's being your own unique and beautiful creature. Look within yourself to find out who you are with the pole. You like  these girls because they "have something"…they express their heart. It's not just a technique..it's a feeling too.

• Veena

Administrator
    June 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You guys are great! xoxo

• Roxi

June 3, 2011 at 9:18 am

@pegasusaerialfitness
    oh wow, thank you so much for this beautiful words!!!

• reenie aka Mysfit

June 4, 2011 at 2:33 am

Have no idea how I missed this thread last year….Lol..I have an interesting twist to add.

I am an exgymnast—not any high level, competing, I was your average kid aspiring to the likes of Nadia—ahhhh…..and later Mary Lou–(yep—totally dating myself here https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif)

But I find the years of technical training to be a royal PITA(pain in the ass) when it comes to other things….pole included.

We as gymnasts are drilled to have these clean, cut, straight lines….completely straight legs, pointed toes……..sharp arms……….Head up(not hair tossing….)

By complete auto reaction—-I move like that….MOST of the time in anything sport or dance related.

This is real tough thing to battle when you are trying to be fluid…………..slow, sultry….Ya know—the sexy stuff!

Irony is…I thought it was just me………but another fellow ex-gymnast has joined the addictions in my pole classes and she is finding the same thing. Our bodies understand the mechanics……may have flexibilty(mine isn't anywhere near what it used to be) but trying to be flowy and fluid………..yeah—NOT so much.

So, although the background may or may not help with the acrobatics part……it is a tough transition over to the sultry dancey stuff….

• LopsiJulie

June 4, 2011 at 4:03 am

@ Polegrrrrl – amazing perspective.  THanks sooo much for sharing your frustrations at working hard and not being able to claim it to the full.

• opielee

June 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm

@poledanceromance;

hey,i totally feel where you're coming from,i've read the bios of alot of the pole pros and they all seem to say have dance/gymnastics background.i myself,was feeling down in the dumps awhile ago because i was unrealistically measuring my progress against everyone else,i started out anxious,then got happy and then ended up frustrated and in tears because i feared being forever stuck at the same level.thank you for sharing what i've been feeling lately but couldn't come out to say,i guess at the end of the day you just have to remember what drew you into pole dancing in the first place and keep perspective on that,if you have the passion for it and enjoy it,then that's all you really need,hope this helps.

• poleprincess89

June 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I think it's just easier for people with a dance/gymnastics background. You can still get as good as them though. It'll just take more time and effort. Look at Karol Helms, for example. She said in the documentary "Pole Play" that she had no experience with dance or gymnastics, she just moves with the music. She also obviously had a real passion for it and practiced all the time. I get what you mean about feeling discouraged but I find myself in the same position. I was always athletic but never did anything like dancing or gymnastics. I do still like to think that one day i will compete when i'm ready. Until then, i'm gonna work my butt off and enjoy the ride 🙂

Page 3 of 3