StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How to tell if your Hip Flexors are overly tight?

• How to tell if your Hip Flexors are overly tight?

Posted by MommaBear on February 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm

How can you determine whether or not you have flexible hip flexors?  Heck, I don't even care about flexible at this point, so how do you tell if you have just regular old hip flexors or overly tight hip flexors?

I know I have tight hamstrings and need to work on flexibility there, but I'm trying to figure out if my hip flexors might be an issue too?  

Are there any "tests" that can give me an indication of whether or not I have overly tight hip flexors?  

I found on the internet that inability to do squats can be a hip flexor issue (but can also be a hamstring issue).  I tried to test out that theory and do some squats and I don't think I can do them right.  But I don't know if it's a hip flexor thing or a boob thing LOL.  My boobs make me top heavy so I have a hard time keeping my back straight and end up leaning forward.  In the end, my quads are sore and took the brunt of the work, not my gluts or hamstrings, so again, I don't think I am getting the right form or something.

Any other ideas to test out and determine hip flexor flexibility?

amy replied 13 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Ember

February 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Momma, This is a great stretch that I use in class, it's called the pidgeon.

This will let you know how open and flexible your hips are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNcgdIHfBTk

• MommaBear

February 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm

That looked impossible, but upon trying it, it wasn't as intimidating as it looked and it actually felt alright (not overly painful or anything).  Thanks!!

• RoseMay

February 26, 2011 at 10:29 am

Can you touch your butt with the back of your foot with the help of the hands while standing? The knees should stay parallel and not travel to the front.

If yes you got "normal" hip flexor flexiblity … and it should be enough to squat properly.

Here's a picture:

http://mattdustinfitness.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/quad-stretch.jpg

• polefairy

February 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I always blamed my hips being tight for being the reason I find splits stretching so tedious but recently after taking a stretching class I discovered that it is my hamstrings that are so tight. So if any of you guys have any tips for strething very tight hamstrings, please help. I should have known the problem wasn't solely down to my hip flexors as I have had acupressure, acupuncture etc for tight and painful hamtstrings in the past. I have no clue about flexibility and stretching but I was happy to learn that my hips are actually normal! Now to sort out my hamstrings!  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Runemist34

February 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Polefairy, I had very tight hamstrings, and they've really been a nuisance all my life. You ever try doing yoga when you can barely get your hands past your knees? Ugh!

So, what my physiotherapist told me was this: Every day (seriously) when you're warm from exercising or a bath or whatever, find something about a foot high. Not too high. Maybe when you're in the shower, use the end of the bathtub (which is what I use), but not too high. Push your hips forward and don't bend your back. Be gentle, don't push too hard, and try to keep the stretch going for 30 seconds. 

I'm serious, that's all you need. 30 seconds, be warm, foot not too high. Don' worry about pointing or flexing the foot, just try to keep it relatively neutral. For me, I find it helpful to keep pushing forward, because as my muscles relax, I stop feeling a stretch, so I can go a little bit more forward…but like I said, be gentle! Don't push it! If you feel intense pain, then don't go that far!

As testament to how well the simple way works: I can almost touch my toes when I'm cold. I'm really close, like maybe an inch and a half! I've NEVER been that close before!

• Theo Simon

February 27, 2011 at 2:18 am

Half of the issues we have with our hip flexors (mine hurt right now for some reason but havent in a while). Hip flexor injuries occur when you do not do your splits properly. You hips should be squared. Back knee cap should be on the floor. You shouldnt be able to see your knee cap from the floor.
    I cross train now in gymnastics and aerial arts and we condition for flexibility. Square hips. Back leg knee caps on the floor. Coming straight from a gymnast. If you go straight into a split and push your hips out you will result in injury. We all do this by default.
    You must master a square hipped split American and Chinese. Once you make contact with the floor in both splits then you can start stretching your flexors both ways. Until you get the split right with square hips your flexors will be consistantly murdered.
    Her advice helped me exponentially. Hope this helps!

• amy

February 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm

polefairy– i've found huge gains in hamstring flexibility using resistance stretching methods– check that thread or message ottersocks =)