StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Instructors Jumping Into Inverts?

• Madfelice

January 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I I was also taught to kick up into inverts to start with.  We were told that lifting up into them was the next step on and that was what we were to work towards.  Kicking just didn't feel right to me, the movement just didn't make sense, all that kicking just to get upside down and all!  Anyway, long story short, I didn't like the kicking so within a couple weeks I was lifting.  My friends are for the most part still kicking however as they feel unable to lift yet and although I had never thought about it before, now I am a bit concerned for them.  One of them has already hurt her back and had to take time off from pole dancing.  I don't feel that I can tell them what they are doing is wrong because it is what they were taught but I will be encouraging them to work on lifting as soon as they possibly can!

• horsecrazy12987

January 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Back injuries seem to be pretty common for people who kick up into inverts. It is very important to engage your abdominal muscles in any type of exercise you do, but particularly during lifting exercises, because this protects your back. If they are using momentum to get into an invert, chances are they're not paying any attention to their abs, so it doesn't surprise me that people are coming away with hurt backs.

I wish instructors wouldn't teach a kick up as a precurser to lifting–instead of teaching students to kick up if they're not ready to lift, they could be using that time to go over strength training that could help their students properly lift into an invert.

• yogabeachbabe

January 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm

My first instructor said something like: “just throw your head back & kick up”. Ouch! Yeah, it took a while to get past that one! I didn’t realise how much that sunk into my psyche until I start working on a dead-lift inversion. Now I feel so much stronger and more connected. It really is sad how often I see “advanced” girls in class who are working on handsprings or straight-edges that don’t invert properly. You can see them struggling to get a toe on the pole. They’re so strong in so many ways–they’d be even more fantastic if only they’d go back to the basics.

• JenLFG

January 16, 2011 at 10:15 pm

LMAO! i just realized this thread said "Instructors Jumping Into Inverts?" && i replied to it thinking it was just about jumping into inverts. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif  i was just following up to say i would not attempt to teach pole to anyone! well, not at this point in my life because i have not been trained. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif didn't want y'all to think i was trying to teach pole to anyone.

• PennyGirl

January 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Hey Scandalicious…it's no biggie. (ur comment)  Honestly I think so many people learn bad habits when they first start anything without professsional instruction…look at how many BAD DRIVERS there are on the road lol! surely the thread was to be more focused on instructors who are teaching the wrong techniques but you made a good point…where there are instructors like that there are impressionable students like you and I learning those bad habits. I think we can count ourselves lucky to have access to the right people who care enough to say "hey goober stop kicking" hahahahahaah!!

have a shiny Penny day!!

• JenLFG

January 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm

yes! i am so thankful for this site! if it weren't for posting my videos on here i would still be doing tons of stuff wrong https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif  i love the constructive criticism https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif it really helps me to notice & correct my mistakes!

• horsecrazy12987

January 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Penny, for some reason it cracks me up that you say 'goober.' Maybe because I haven't heard anyone really say it since I was little–that was what my dad would call my sister and I if we were being weird. I kind of miss that word. lol

• PennyGirl

January 17, 2011 at 7:44 am

Haha I’ll be honest I totally just stole that from scandaliciois lol! But yep it’s funny all the same 🙂
    Have a shiny penny day!

• JenLFG

January 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

& I stole that from my daddy 🙂 lol!

Page 2 of 2