StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Is this really “Constructive” Critisism?

• Mary Ellyn

March 14, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ah…well that totally changes the story then!

• Legend

March 14, 2012 at 9:59 am

yes, totally diferent context. I still mantain my opinion and agree 100% with what Empyrean said.

• amy

March 14, 2012 at 10:27 am

ouch! tha makes it even worse.

all i know is if i was trying stuff on at a store, and the salesperson told me "you're having a tough time with this shirt because of your anatomy. Your boobs are a bit on the smaller side…" i'd punch her in the face. well, not really, but i'd want to. she's getting paid to help me not comment on my shortcomings. and if i was standing there in booty shorts and a sports bra and workign my ass off to try something in class, i wouldn't want to hear something like that either. there's "truth"… and then there's moving past "truth" which will not change to talk about how to move forward in a motivating way. Danidub, totally agree… 

• horsecrazy12987

March 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm

It's possible the sub just didn't really think about what she was saying, but I still just can't quite wrap my mind around the comment.

I'm curious, DaniDub, did the instructor offer modifications or perhaps suggest another entry into the move, or did she simply make the statement and then basically just move on?

• DaniDuB

March 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm

@horsecrazy.. she made the comment in front of everyone and moved on to the next person. She did get up and demonstrate how she herself does the move. No modifications. I don’t think she meant to be mean, I just don’t think she used common sense.

• horsecrazy12987

March 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Yeah, I'm sure she wasn't trying to be vicious or anything, I suspect she probably just really wasn't thinking about what she said. It happens to all of us, from time to time. How did the student react?

• DaniDuB

March 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm

She did look a little taken aback for a second at first, but didn’t react much. Everyone was standing there. She acted pretty normal, but seemed quiet after class.

• amy

March 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm

🙁

• JeHanne

March 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Congrats DaniDuB on your ACE certification. I feel badly for the student in this case and hope that she continues to enjoy classes regardless of that experience.

• DaniDuB

March 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks, everyone! 🙂

• Krissykiki

March 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I think everyone is different would respond differently to comments like that and that is where a teacher needs to get to know their students to learn how each student learns.

All i can think is that if my instructor made a comment like that to me in to my body I would probably feel awful and stop going to that studio. I want someone to give me advice on how to get better using the body i have. I don't want them to just observe that I can't do something because of the body I have.

But that is me….everyone responds differently. A suggestion might be to ask a student why they think they are having trouble with a move/spin and then proceed from there?

• JayF1

March 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm

This is definitely one of those, "it's not what you say, but how you say it"…but I think it also depends on the person getting the critique.

As an instructor…with thicker legs…I get what the sub was trying to explain. From what I read here…there were other contributing factors to why she was having difficulties executing the move this particular night. So, although we may feel insulted for her, I would have had to be there in order to judge the context.

ALL that being said, this move is considered an "advance move" am I right? So it's a move that has to be executed by someone that not only has some skills, but also one that has been poling for a bit. It would seem to me, that she's probably already aware of what her body does and how she goes about to modify her technique in order to execute the move.

So if I were put into that position…I would not take it personally. But then, I'm obnoxious and annoyingly positive…and have worked hard enough to get thru my own made up barriers…that I try to see any critique as a chance to better myself…even if it's just improving the way I let role off my back.

• Mary Ellyn

March 15, 2012 at 12:30 am

There must have been something in the tone of this instructor's voice that made this sound wrong because I simply cannot see anything wrong with the words…but I'm hearing them in my head being said without rancor or any judgmental tone.

Let's put aside that the student has actually done this successfully in the past, forget this particular student/instructor and just talk about the situation.

So if her thighs are large enough to inhibit her ability to do this move, just what WOULD someone say to her? Tell her to get stronger? That's not the problem. Tell her to get more flexible…thats not the problem either.

Apprentice to superman is a move which (among other things) if you have larger thighs you're going to have trouble with and while the student may not be doing certain things correctly and requires adjustment…if the ONLY problem she is having is because of the size of her thighs then it's not only natural to point that out but we owe it to the student to point it out.

Is a doctor allowed to address a person's weight problem with them? They are a professional and their job is to look after the patient's health and well being.

Just like the doctor, as instructors we are the professionals that our students rely upon and we do them a disservice to mislead them. In fact, it could be dangerous to their safety if we are not honest with them. We go through trainings and certifications and workshops and educate ourselves, promoting ourselves as the professional they should come to learn from.

We sell ourselves as "fitness professionals" but we don't want to act like other fitness professionals. Would you expect a personal trainer NOT to address a weight problem or how your build may interfere with your ability to do an exercise at this time?

It is our job to be the professional and let them know what the problem is – and if it's not easy then you have to work on finding the right way to do it.

I would expect my instructor to be gently honest with me and not try to cover up the real reason I cannot get into a move. And a lie of omission is just as harmful.  

• o0sair0o

March 15, 2012 at 4:51 am

If anyone described any part of my anatomy as 'on the thicker side' I'd be humiliated.  Even to say 'different body types find different moves harder or easier' would've been a lot better.  But 'thick' I would interpret that as 'you've got fat thighs'…. it might be true but no one needs it pointed out in a class!  I think the instructor maybe needs a bit more tact 🙂

• Sarah77

March 15, 2012 at 6:23 am

Not constructive criticism at all. I don’t see how ‘thick’ thighs would ever be a few back. My legs are somewhat banana shaped, and I often wish for bigger thighs. They’re so much better for gripping the pole than my skinny bendy ones. I think perhaps the sub blamed the students body as she wasn’t confident in her ability to teach her. If she makes it the fault I anatomy then it’s not down to her teaching is it.
    It’s that kind of attitude that gives poling a bad name, it’s supposed to be fun for everyone, building strength and confidence along the way.
    If she can’t give real constructive comments then she shouldn’t be teaching.

Page 2 of 6