StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Is this really “Constructive” Critisism?

• Kobajo84

March 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I'm always explaining to my ladies that we all have physical limitations whether it be body shape/size, height, strength, or athletic back ground.  As an instructor it is my responsibility to assure my students are aware that pole can be a challenge and it's up to me to work with them according to the challenges they are presented within their limitations.  I think in pole there's an element of intimacy within the studio and that rapport students develop with their instructor is essential.  Having a sub come in can cause disruption however I don't think the sub's intention was to verbally assault a student she was trying to help.  I don't think it was appropriate to make that type of statement to pinpoint the student in front of the class.  There are instances where the instructor is doing her rounds in class and can close the conversation to student and instructor only so as not to announce to the class "Janey's anatomy is preventing her from performing X move…" There are subtle ways of addressing a student's limitations, however like everyone else had already mentioned- I don't know the entire situation so I'm not certain how eveything occurred and/or if the statement was made on a personal level and it just happened to be ear shot from another student. 

• DaniDuB

March 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Koba, I agree there are subtle ways to say things and privately. Most definitely! This was said in front of the entire class, right at the point she was starting to work with someone else.

• Mary Ellyn

March 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Good point Kobajo…it should have been said to the student privately instead of in front of the class.

• Mary Ellyn

March 15, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Sparrow…it's not just the size of the thighs but all sorts of moves are dependent on body structure. Everyone's shapes and proportions are different and you have to evaluate each person and situation differently.

Pigeon toed – difficulty or inability doing cross ankle layback
    Thick thighs AND thick calves – difficulty or inability doing  outside leg hangs
    Thick thighs and thin calves – difficult or inability doing inside leg hangs
    Short arms – difficulty or inability doing ayasha or forearm stands

The reason I keep saying difficulty OR inability is because it can depend on other things like flexility, proportions of the rest of the body, etc. or it can simply be severe enough to limit that particular move for that person.

• Krista Bocko

March 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Of course. Not every move will work with every body.

I was reading your post that said:

"what if the ONLY reason really was that she had larger/more shapely/bigger/curvier/thicker thighs????

So that is THE ONLY REASON a person cannot get a move."

And I was trying to think of moves that 'thick' thighs would prevent someone from doing. 

• Mary Ellyn

March 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I've seen people who can get either an inside leg hang or an outside leg hang but cannot get the other due to thicker proportioned thighs. Same thing with Cross knee release. In fact it's pretty common with CKR that people with thicker thighs may not get that move but can get the CAR.

• Dancing Paws

March 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm

For me, the CKR was very awkward on a 50mm, but perfectly doable on a 45 as not all my fat was being pinched by a big pole. I find the gemini to be doable but the scorpio is so awkward. 

On a different body type problem, I'm not sure I will ever be able to do moves that twist my torso around the pole as my torso is very short.

• XxMissPrissxX

March 15, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Its comments like that, that make me aprehensive to take a class.  If that were me id have burst into tears.  But i am super super sensitive

• mspretty1414

March 15, 2012 at 8:09 pm

@Sparrow, I think what Empyrean was trying to say was like this; I'm 5'6, therefore even if in spectacular physical condition I will never be able to dunk a basketball.  This physical attribute alone will prevent me.   So we could sit here and have a philosophical discussion and ponder every single move and the what if's or we could just keep it real.  It is what it is, and if a comment like that gets to someone that bad maybe they need to invest in some self esteem building activities.  I highly doubt the instructor was trying to be mean, this isn't kindergarden.

• Krista Bocko

March 15, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I totally get that point–I may never do xx move or xx move–but it is practical for me to learn which moves pose problems for students with certain attributes. 🙂

• Mary Ellyn

March 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Sparrow I brought up a few based on my exeperience but we can always run into new ones.

I have one student who is very pigeon -toed…she can't do the CAR securely. Never thought of that one until we were actually teaching that move.

• JayF1

March 16, 2012 at 6:07 am

I may have to ask my classes about this…because I use the words "thick thighs" ALL THE TIME!! To me, in context of instructing, it's no more than a description, not a derogatory term.

• o0sair0o

March 16, 2012 at 6:09 am

Unfortunately weight is a highly stigmatized thing and something many people struggle with but since we 'can' change it (unlike height) those people are sometimes judged.  It's a result of that sort of hostile environment that creates a sensitivity.  In addition to that, while we may all be grownups, bullying and just plain meanness (I have no idea if thats a word :P) are still a huge issue amongst adults.  Just look at the issues in workplaces these days! Many people are taking pole to assist with fitness, weight management and self-esteem…. which makes me think a little sensitivity is especially important.  IF that were the only thing stopping the student then it may be right to tell the student ('may' because I really wouldn't think it is for a sub to do) but perhaps a better phrase than 'thick' and done in private, preferably after the class would strike me as the more tactful and productive way to approach it.  It is, I think, less likely to produce the negative effects or humiliate a student and more likely to make the student feel supported and perhaps even inclined to keep working towards the solution instead of just never wanting to go back and ending up missing out on that hour a week (or however much it may be) of physical activity and fun. 

• nymphdancer

March 16, 2012 at 6:16 am

I have always had "thick" thighs. I rode horses most of my life. Thick doesn't neccessarily mean "fat" which seems to be what most people are equating it to. Thick thighs can be musclar thighs and muscles are a good thing! I was 118 lbs with a 20 inch waist and my thighs were a whopping 21 inches around EACH ONE! And I can tell you at that point in my life there was not an inch of fat on those thick thighs!

I would kill to have that body back too lol.

• michaelaarghh

March 16, 2012 at 6:41 am

I was just about to post exactly what nymphdancer has said…thick does not always mean fat. 

My teachers are always reminding us in class that we are all built differently, and therefore some moves won't work for some and will be really easy for others. Of course, if you can adjust the move slightly to enable a student to do it, then by all means do so. However, this isn't going to always be possible. 

E.g. When I was in level 2 we did a pole climb, using only the back of the pole…so like an upright crucifix but with both legs behind the pole. It was pretty impossible for me to do this move because I have thin legs, and the gap between my thighs was bigger than the pole. Rather than holding on with my thighs like everyone else, I was squeezing with my knees which put a lot of pressure on them and possibly could have caused injury. Therefore, unless I "thickened up" I can not accomplish that move safely. 

I don't see how it is offensive for a teacher to point this out. Like others have pointed out, I think they are doing a disservice if they don't. 

Page 5 of 6