StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Is this really “Constructive” Critisism?

• Mary Ellyn

March 16, 2012 at 7:38 am

LOL…I thought of something and looked up "thick" on urbandictionary.com

Thick:
    1. nice ass, nice legs, not skinny, with meat on your bones. thickness is the shit

2. A woman with a perfect body, filled-in in places that are, by nature, designed to attract the opposite sex, such as the thighs, the hips, the breasts, and the most lovely part of all, the  booty

3. a girl who isn't fat or skinny, but is well proportioned, has enough meat on her bones in all the right places, most men like the thick ones. I'm thick and I'm glad my boyfriend likes it that way! 

It's all in a matter of how you choose to look at it. I think it also depends on the relationship and trust you have with your students and whether they will be insulted by ANYTHING you say regardless of how you phrase it or whether you say it privately or in front of the class.

• o0sair0o

March 16, 2012 at 8:06 am

Empyrean – I think your last point about the relationship between teacher and student is probably the most important one.  I guess there's been many opinions in this post and a good teacher would probably know (or have a decent feel for) which way each student might go and that would make all the difference. In this case, that it was a sub is probably part of what I find so awful about it.  But I've never heard 'thick' used in a way that wasn't at least somewhat of a putdown either…. maybe it's used differently in Australia so I perceive it differently? (A bit like 'pissed' can mean drunk OR angry in Australia and yet in other places it only means angry. )

• JayF1

March 16, 2012 at 8:08 am

"I'm a thick girl and I know it!…I work out!"….wiggle-wiggle-wiggle-wiggle yeah!https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• nymphdancer

March 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

hee hee I'm going to do the thick girl dance with Jay 🙂

• Dancing Paws

March 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

Hahaha Empy – "Thickness is the shit." <——LOVE!

• Lina Spiralyne

March 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

By putting it "your thighs are a bit on the thicker side", I think the instructor unfortunately made quite clear that in her opinion the thighs of the student were too big, EVEN if she didn't intend to offend and tried to state it in a "nice" way. I totally understand if the girl didn't appreciate it. Being too fat/too voluminous is one of the biggest fears to most women in the western society when it comes to physical appearance so that topic should be treated with care. 

I think generally instructors should avoid commenting on body types because they never know how the other one is going to feel about it. But how do you explain to a strong girl with the hight of 6 feet that she's not succeeding on the twisted grip lift without mentioning that she's tall? Tricky!

• michaelaarghh

March 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I think that ultimately it comes down to the tone and manner in which it was said. 

Like I stated in my previous post, I don't see a problem with pointing out someone can't do something based on their anatomy. 

I think we live in a much-too PC world. If there was no intent to offend, and the teacher was merely pointing out that the reason the student was finding it difficult was because of size (whether too big or too small) then that is not offensive. 

I wouldn't necessarily say it was constructive criticism either, as it's not reeeeally something you can just change on the spot. If the student was doing everything correct in order to do the move, but their anatomy was letting them down, then I think it is totally fair for the teacher to point out – "the reason you are not getting this is because you are too small / tall / thick / whatever". At least then the student knows that hand placement and everything else is correct. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to do everything all of the time. I think it would do everyone a bit of good to realise this and stop getting offended when this is pointed out to them. 

Page 6 of 6